“Great location but not worth the price” 3 of 5 stars
Review of W New York - Union Square

You added W New York - Union Square to your Saves list
W New York - Union Square
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   201 Park Avenue South, New York City, NY 10003 (Gramercy Park)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #143 of 458 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Champaign, Illinois
“Great location but not worth the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

The location is great. Close to subway ,with many shops and restaurants nearby. We had a corner suite which was nice in size.However, we did not feel the service was equal to the price we paid.
Unfortunately, we didn't experience the helpful staff like other reviewers.
Every time we used room service ,it required a followup call for what we didn't get.
No turndown service when we returned at night.
The biggest complaint was the room spray. It's overwhelming. We asked them to not do it and even left a note. However, it continued and effected our enjoyment of the room.
We really wanted this to be our go to place in NYC but we will keep looking.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Gtellez, Guest Relations Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Hello JimH713,
Thank you for reaching out to us about your experience here. I am glad we were able to connect and start to turn this situation around. I look forward to your return to W New York Union Square.
Gerald Tellez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Was in NYC for business 2 nights. Stayed here the second night because it was closer to the meeting site. This is one of the few hotels right at Union Square, so the location was excellent and very convenient to the subway and lots of restaurants and shopping and there was even a great farmers market and the service was good. However, the price was astronomical at $349/night with no amenities! I stayed at the Hampton United Nations the previous night in a room just as nice for only $209, was two blocks to Grand Central station with equal access to shopping, subway and attractions, and had free breakfast and did not have all of the overpriced in-room snacks and $9 per bottle Smartwater (I bought one at the cvs next door for $1). So for location I would give them 5, but overall value was probably a 3 because it was not worth the price or hassle of switching hotels.

• Stayed August 2013
Hello lightinggrl,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with all of us. We always appreciate all of our guests feedback and comments. I will share your comments with the leadership team. If I can be of any assistance to you on a future booking please feel free to contact me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com.
All the Best,
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This hotel exemplifies the W experience that I have come to love.

I stayed here on Labor Day weekend after proposing to my (now) fiance. I chose the W because my girlfriend and I have always had the best experiences and the W and this trip was no exception.

The whole trip was great. Upon arrival, Faz at the front desk helped me check-in, arranged a late check-out and extended wonderful customer service. Though my Starwood Suite Night Award was denied, I still managed to receive a modest room upgrade due to my SPG Platinum status.

The room felt modern and emitted the W vibe that we have come to love. In the morning we had a tasty continental breakfast at the Olives restaurant downstairs.

The only negative comment I have is that the Acura Experience was not available during our stay. Book a time slot before you arrive.

After having a disappointing experience at the W Buckhead the weeke before, I was very happy to have the W redeem itself with an excellent stay in NYC! Happy to have spent this special occasion at the W.

Hello CWGators,
Thank you for taking the time to write and share your recent experience with all of us. We always appreciate it when our guests reach out to us and write and a review. I will share your wonderful comments with Faz, our Welcome Desk agent. I know he always goes above and beyond with our guests to make them feel right at home. I am glad you found your new home away from home in Manhattan. Should you need anything on a future booking please feel free to contact me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com. We look forward to your return.
All the Best,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

We have stayed here a few times since we have a kid at NYU. Clean, comfortable and friendly staff. Modern decor in the rooms is still warm and inviting.

Things were a little high energy the last time we were there and it turns out that the first-lady was in house. Even with all that, nothing affected our stay.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
West Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

My husband, dog and I had a great stay at the W Union Square. Our expectations were exceeded from the moment we checked in to when we checked out. The service from the front desk staff (one gentleman in particular) was exceptional and welcoming. They made us feel welcome with our dog and gave us a room in a quiet part of the hotel. The room (Spectacular category) was a great size for NY and the water in the shower was hot and the pressure was strong.

There Whatever/Whenever service was prompt and professional. All bellmen, valets and other staff were friendly and helpful.

The location was convenient and allowed us to explore Chelsea, West Village, Meatpacking, Gramercy, Flatiron and East Village on foot.

The only two downsides were the slow elevators (one was out of service for security reasons) and housekeeping. Housekeeping was fine, but not as good as other hotels in the W category.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Gtellez, Guest Relations Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Welcome J and M M,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a review on W New York Union Square. It is always nice to read about our guest's experience with us especially while traveling with their beloved furry friends. I am glad you had a wonderful stay with us. If I can be of any assistance for a future reservation please feel free to contact me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We unknowingly had reservations the same weekend as the First Lady so the hotel was a little chaotic with all the Secret Service, etc. However two members of the hotel staff made our stay memorable and I wished to recognize Magy of the Front Desk and Micky the Assistant Manager. Both provided superior service and left us with a favorable impression of the hotel. The location adjacent to, and overlooking Union Square can't be beat. The only demerit is for not having free Wi-fi.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher room with view overlooking Union Square.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Well Hello There MarcusTB,
Thank you for your kind review on W New York Union Square. We always appreciate all of our guests comments especially when they are such ravinig reviews as yours. I will share your comments with the members of my team. I am glad you found your new home away from home in New York. If you need any assistance on any future reservation please feel free to contact me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

I've been a loyal SPG guest for many years. I am continually disappointed with the overall aging of their w hotels and the commercial feel when you walk into a room with sell pieces everywhere. Still, location is great and restaurant continue to be a highlight with great service. Facelift time! Tone down the commercial and bring back that true trendy hotel with exceptional customer service.

• Stayed August 2013
Well Hello There HaphazardGourmet,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write to us and share your recent experience. We always appreciate all of our guests feedback. I will share your comments with the leadership team at our hotel. If you like to discuss your experience over the phone or via email please reach out to me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com. Thank you kindly,
Gerald Tellez

Been to W New York - Union Square? Share your experiences!