“Great, reliable W experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of W New York - Union Square

You added W New York - Union Square to your Saves list
W New York - Union Square
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   201 Park Avenue South, New York City, NY 10003 (Gramercy Park)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #187 of 463 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“Great, reliable W experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This hotel exemplifies the W experience that I have come to love.

I stayed here on Labor Day weekend after proposing to my (now) fiance. I chose the W because my girlfriend and I have always had the best experiences and the W and this trip was no exception.

The whole trip was great. Upon arrival, Faz at the front desk helped me check-in, arranged a late check-out and extended wonderful customer service. Though my Starwood Suite Night Award was denied, I still managed to receive a modest room upgrade due to my SPG Platinum status.

The room felt modern and emitted the W vibe that we have come to love. In the morning we had a tasty continental breakfast at the Olives restaurant downstairs.

The only negative comment I have is that the Acura Experience was not available during our stay. Book a time slot before you arrive.

After having a disappointing experience at the W Buckhead the weeke before, I was very happy to have the W redeem itself with an excellent stay in NYC! Happy to have spent this special occasion at the W.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Gtellez, Guest Relations Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Hello CWGators,
Thank you for taking the time to write and share your recent experience with all of us. We always appreciate it when our guests reach out to us and write and a review. I will share your wonderful comments with Faz, our Welcome Desk agent. I know he always goes above and beyond with our guests to make them feel right at home. I am glad you found your new home away from home in Manhattan. Should you need anything on a future booking please feel free to contact me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com. We look forward to your return.
All the Best,
Gerald Tellez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

We have stayed here a few times since we have a kid at NYU. Clean, comfortable and friendly staff. Modern decor in the rooms is still warm and inviting.

Things were a little high energy the last time we were there and it turns out that the first-lady was in house. Even with all that, nothing affected our stay.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
West Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

My husband, dog and I had a great stay at the W Union Square. Our expectations were exceeded from the moment we checked in to when we checked out. The service from the front desk staff (one gentleman in particular) was exceptional and welcoming. They made us feel welcome with our dog and gave us a room in a quiet part of the hotel. The room (Spectacular category) was a great size for NY and the water in the shower was hot and the pressure was strong.

There Whatever/Whenever service was prompt and professional. All bellmen, valets and other staff were friendly and helpful.

The location was convenient and allowed us to explore Chelsea, West Village, Meatpacking, Gramercy, Flatiron and East Village on foot.

The only two downsides were the slow elevators (one was out of service for security reasons) and housekeeping. Housekeeping was fine, but not as good as other hotels in the W category.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Gtellez, Guest Relations Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Welcome J and M M,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a review on W New York Union Square. It is always nice to read about our guest's experience with us especially while traveling with their beloved furry friends. I am glad you had a wonderful stay with us. If I can be of any assistance for a future reservation please feel free to contact me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We unknowingly had reservations the same weekend as the First Lady so the hotel was a little chaotic with all the Secret Service, etc. However two members of the hotel staff made our stay memorable and I wished to recognize Magy of the Front Desk and Micky the Assistant Manager. Both provided superior service and left us with a favorable impression of the hotel. The location adjacent to, and overlooking Union Square can't be beat. The only demerit is for not having free Wi-fi.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher room with view overlooking Union Square.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Well Hello There MarcusTB,
Thank you for your kind review on W New York Union Square. We always appreciate all of our guests comments especially when they are such ravinig reviews as yours. I will share your comments with the members of my team. I am glad you found your new home away from home in New York. If you need any assistance on any future reservation please feel free to contact me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

I've been a loyal SPG guest for many years. I am continually disappointed with the overall aging of their w hotels and the commercial feel when you walk into a room with sell pieces everywhere. Still, location is great and restaurant continue to be a highlight with great service. Facelift time! Tone down the commercial and bring back that true trendy hotel with exceptional customer service.

• Stayed August 2013
Well Hello There HaphazardGourmet,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write to us and share your recent experience. We always appreciate all of our guests feedback. I will share your comments with the leadership team at our hotel. If you like to discuss your experience over the phone or via email please reach out to me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com. Thank you kindly,
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

Stayed with my teen daughter and found this the perfect balance of hip and conveniently located for what we wanted to do. We got breakfast at the Union Square farmers market and ate in the park before meandering down to NYU and exploring the Village. The metro stop is steps from the hotel, and there's a CVS on the ground floor of the building for cheap stocking up of bottled water and the inevitable items we forgot to pack. As with most W Hotels, rooms were stylish and compact, common areas were comfortable. I would stay here again!

• Stayed August 2013
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

If you prefer to spend your time in the City below 14th Street, this is the spot ! Right outside the the door is Union Square with a Farmers Market on the weekend. Across the Square is Whole Foods and a 15 minute walk to the High-Line.
The room was bright, clean and very comfortable. Would have prefer free Wi-FI in the room instead of Lobby area. Staff was please and very helpful and accommodating. It's not cheap but as anything else you get what you pay for.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Gtellez, Guest Relations Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Welcome Dave E,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review on W New York Union Square. I will share your wonderful comments with our teams. Should you need anything for any future stays please reach out to me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com. I look forward to your return.
All the best,
Gerald Tellez

Been to W New York - Union Square? Share your experiences!