“It couldn't have been better.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of W New York - Union Square

You added W New York - Union Square to your Saves list
W New York - Union Square
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   201 Park Avenue South, New York City, NY 10003 (Gramercy Park)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #187 of 464 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
San Diego, California
“It couldn't have been better.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

Everything about this trip was the way I planned it. Arrival was efficient and fast. We didn't get an upgrade but we did want a room with a tub. I went back to the desk and asked the hotel manager, Gerald, for help. He sensed that I was not satisfied with the room and did everything in his power to make sure that our stay was enjoyable. As we were preparing to check out he called from home to make follow up see that we had a fabulous time. I will definitely be back. I only wish all hotels had staff as attentive and courteous as Gerald and the rest of the staff at the W. Cheers!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
Sudbury, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011

We booked a wonderful room on a lower floor but got upgraded to a spectacular room on a higher floor upon check-in. They also let us check in at 11am. I assumed we would have to wait while they got our room ready.
I had been to Manhattan several times on the past but this was my first time staying in the city. Usually my visits had been composed of some combination of times square, central park, and a museum. That gets old very quickly. This time we wanted to get a different feel and see more of the city and the union square location definitely delivered. We walked everywhere- little Italy, across the Brooklyn bridge, Greenwich village, south street seaport, Madison square park, and others. When we got tired of walking, which we did, the subway stop fit the bill.
We felt safe everywhere including walking from people's improv theatre at midnight.

• Stayed July 2011
Gtellez, Guest Relations Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this review, July 10, 2011
Welcome UncleCaveBear,
Thank you for taking the time to write and share your recent experience with all of us.
I am glad you had a wonderful time at our our hotel. I will share these great comments with our Welcome Office team. I know they always strive in providing our guests with that true Whatever Whenever experience. We look forward to your return to W Union Square.
Oberrieden, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

We spent 4 nights @ W Union Square. Positive: ideally located - very close to Soho and Meatpacking. Negatives: The Hotel is rather old and needs a renovation to catch up with the other W Hotels arround the globe. Rooms are small and prices are rather topish. I do miss complimentary water and free internet. Service could be a touch more benign...

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Gtellez, Guest Relations Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this review, July 2, 2011
Welcome Ronnylandoit,
We had time to read your recent review on W New York Union Square. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We appreciate your feedback about our hotel. We are very pleased to share that we will be going through a room refresh in early next year. I hope you will return to enjoy your W experience with us again.
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

I usually don't stay in this part of the city, for business or pleasure, but I would come back here again. The room I had was spacious, clean, quiet and comfortable. Service was great. A little out of the way from the usual tourist spots, but on the plus side it was less crowded and hectic in the area. Convenient parking right around the corner. Good restaurants nearby.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Welcome MATraveler,
I appreciate your the kind words you have about our hotel.
We look forward to your next W Union Square experience.
Warmly,
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

I'm a business traveller that stays over 200 nights a year in hotels.

THE GOOD
Great location and nice rooms. W Hotels have a standard that you expect. Certainly the property itself here meets those. Close to Union Sq and easy to get around the city from there. Great food options nearby. The room was nicely decorated, not ultra modern and very comfortable. Much bigger rooms than other W properties in New York so you get better value. Surprisingly very quiet for a hotel in New York City.

THE BAD
I think service could be better at the front desk and the valet. Not quiet friendly, but not totally rude. More indifferent than anything. Maybe it's a New York thing. I left my wallet and camera in the safe here by accident once. Security was professional and very good at handling the situation. However, trying to get my stuff back when I came back for it took forever.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Welcome Mr. Luu,
Thank you for taking the time to write and share your review with everone. We always appreciate our feedback from our guests. Please accept my sincere apologies for the less the perfect service you recieved at our hotel. I will share these comments with the our teams at hotel to improve our guest services. We look forward to your next W experience.
Belvedere, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

We have stayed at many top rated hotels in NYC during numerous visits over the years, but we have settled on The W Hotel at Union Square as our all-time favorite. The location is perfect, the rooms are well appointed, the housekeeping is impeccable, but the best part of the hotel experience is the entire staff. The doormen, front desk people, housekeepers, and management all go out of their way to make you feel welcome. Every special request is tended to promptly and with courtesy and there is never the feeling of staying at a large, metropolitan hotel . . . the atmosphere is intimate and inviting. A gem in the middle of Manhattan!

Room Tip: High floor overlooking Union Square
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Welcome Mr. Pearson,
We have read your review on our hotel. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with everyone. It is always nice to hear that our frequent guest love returning to their "home away from home." We look forward to your return to W Union Square.
canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

I love W Union Square. I had wonderful service . In fact the young woman who checked me in remembered my name during my whole stay, and greeted me by name whenever I got to the main lobby. The area is great, right near NYU and in Union Square. It is a great area. Soho. The Village. All nearby. Close to subway. I didn't notice the darkness of the rooms, but then I didn't stay in the hotel very long during the day anyway. The hotel can be pricey, but certainly not bad for the area in which it is located. Thanks W Union Square. Couldn't have asked for more . I will be back.

Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Welcome W Guest,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad you had a wonderful time with us. It is always nice to hear such wonderful comments on our team and the hotel.
We look forward to your return.
Gerald Tellez

Been to W New York - Union Square? Share your experiences!