“Perfect Crime New York City, New York” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #666 of 809 Activities in New York City
Type: Performances
Boston, Massachusetts
“Perfect Crime New York City, New York”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

This show is HORRENDOUS. Don't waste your money. We got in line for ticketsat TKTS and 3 different "workers" recommended this performance (they didn't have TKTS jackets on - should have been our first clue). The lead actress was awful - she really needs to retire. She kept blinking her eyes as if she was trying to stay awake. It was hard for me to stay awake. I kept waiting for the play to get better but it went from bad to worse very quickly. My husband and I discussed leaving at intermission - I wish we had. What a waste of time and money. I wish I could have 2 hours of my life back. The storyline is boring and difficult to follow or get excited about. After the performance we came back and read online reviews - shame on us for not reading ahead of time. Most mirror what we thought of the show. And, we are convinced the "workers" work for the theater as the only other show they recommended was also in the same theater. Don't waste your time. Although the detective and patient did a good job, it was very forced and not at all entertaining.

Visited February 2013

Vergennes, Vermont
13 attraction reviews
“Yes, it's a real crime”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Was this a high school play rehearsal? Was the script written by furiously typing monkeys? Did leading lady Catherine Russell have a plane to catch? Did George McDaniel’s emoting belong to a different play entirely? Which correspondence course did John Hillmer take to learn his British accent? Why is this perfect mess still playing after all these years?

Visited February 2013
York, PA
18 attraction reviews
“The Perfect Crime needs to be murdered... NOW!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Believe the other reviewers! This play is terrible... at least the first half was. My husband and I were lured in by the critics' rave reviews. They must have been paid! Ten minutes in, I had no idea what was going on and by intermission, we both had seen and heard all we could stand.

We were not at all impressed with the Snapple Theater itself. We walked and walked through a maze of halls and doorways just to find the box office. With our tickets in hand, we asked about checking our coats. We had done a little shopping and had two bags and heavy winter coats (this was December 28, 2012). The woman at the office said the bartender might have some way to store your stuff. Really? No formal coat check? <sigh>

We entered the theater and stood in a small, but slow line to be ushered to our seats. The usher was not very friendly and seemed more interested in making sure everyone stood in his little usher line then actually showing them to their seats. We jammed ourselves, coats, and packages into our seats and waiting for the show to begin. 8:00pm came and went. I think it was about 8:20 when the torture began.

The lead, Catherine Russell's performance was tired in every imaginable way. The rest of the cast is no better. The whole show felt like a quick dress rehearsal. The "actors" and I use that term very loosely, delivered their lines too quickly and with little care or emotion. Mumbling was frequent and I know it wasn't just me. I heard the young couple behind me whisper, "What did she say?" more than once. Perhaps we were all partially deafened by the frequent and loud gun fire. It was startling, too loud, and added nothing to the show. Even the writing was terrible. I found myself rolling my eyes several times at the overly wordy dialogue. Good plays are about good acting; not rambling speeches and sound effects.

Ms. Russell has been dubbed the "Cal Ripkin of Broadway". I wonder how much she paid to receive that title. Avoid this show and the Snapple Theater at all costs.

Visited December 2012
iselin, NJ
44 attraction reviews
“Not worth $60, barely worth $42”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Went to see the show on a Friday night. I bought 14 tickets about a month in advance and when we got there, the guy at box office had no clue where my tickets were. For a minute, I thought we weren't getting in but he found something on the computer and printed them out. (I only mention this because they only had 100 people in the theater, so I would hope they know the guy who bought 10% of that nights tickets.)

Interesting show, kind of hot in the theater and the car alarm going off outside was annoying. I wouldn't go again but was nice for a cheap option in the city.

White Plains, New York
17 attraction reviews
“The worst most boring play”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

OMG - this was one play to remember. What a snoozefest - better to see a bad movie - it costs less. One guy in the audience left his seats to get a few beers during the show, when was returning with the beer, he tripped as he passed across the seats, spilling beer on a kid seated in the row behind him. Half the audience laughed, Then the patron who he was getting beer for turned to the crowd and yelled, "sorry, he must have tripped on the boredom"! It was the best part of being at this play.

Visited November 2012