“Excellent Tour” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lower East Side History Project Walking Tours

Lower East Side History Project Walking Tours
c/o Neighborhood Preservation Center, 232 East 11th Street, New York City, NY (Lower East Side)
+1 347-465-7767
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #83 of 810 Activities in New York City
Type: Walking tours, Sightseeing Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Lower East Side History Project is an award winning non-profit organization dedicated to research, education and preservation.
Atlanta
“Excellent Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

We arranged a private tour with Eric Ferrara, executive director of the Lower East Side History Project, as neither of us had toured that area before. Eric offered to tailor the tour to our interests, but we told him we'd be interested in a bit of everything. That's pretty well what we got. The garment district. Little Italy. The Mafia. Chinatown. The Bowery. Five Points. Eric knows his subject and knows how to make it interesting. He came well-prepared for our tour and presented the historical and human-interest facts in an engaging and memorable way. We were blessed with good weather, but this tour is one of the best.

Visited November 2013

Hamilton Island, Australia
“A must do while in NY”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

We did a private mafia tour and it was one of the highlights of our stay in the city. Eric was exceptional and his knowledge of the area and things that happened through mafia days was fantastic. Do not miss this tour while in NYC

Braselton, GA, USA
“"mob tour" of Little Italy - informative and fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

We did this tour in a group of 10 plus the tour guide, Eric Ferrara on 10/26/13. I was skeptical going in, but he really knows his stuff and the tour was entertaining and very informative. Mr. Ferrara has written several books on the subject and has done some background advisory jobs on several movies and/or TV shows. Took about two hours and was well worth it.

He was very open to questions and/or requests and came prepared with a binder showing actual newspaper stories describing some of the events he discussed during the tour. Highly recommend this to anyone.

Seattle, Washington, United States
“Great experience. Would definitely sign up for one of the other tours next time.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

My wife and I were visiting New York City but couldn't do the weekend tour due to plans we had in Vermont. It's great to have the option of scheduling a private tour. Eric made himself available on short notice and met us outside of Katz Deli where we had just ate lunch.

Eric was very knowledgeable. I consider myself to be well versed in the New York mafia but Eric shared some things I had never heard of before. He also set the record straight on certain myths that have been around for decades He is very personable and due to the fact he grew up on the Lower East Side, he has a bit of legitimacy when speaking of the events that took place in these streets.

One thing I really liked about Eric......

as we finsihed the tour he gave me a list of the locations we visited and some suggested reading sources. I also felt like I had met someone who I could freely contact in the future if I had any questions or wanted to bounce new ideas of films/books off of him.

I hope I can visit the city again soon. I would like to try the Jewish mobster tour and/or the history of the Five Points.

Poughkeepsie, New York
“everything a tour should be”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Eric was amazing. Flexible and responsive, he helped our first-ever family reunion - celebrating 100 years in America - by creating a custom walking tour based on family addresses we found in early census information. He researched each address and gave us tidbits of information we would have been hard pressed to uncover ourselves. Our group came from all directions and he was able to modify his tour based on time constraints (we were really late!) and mobility issues. Everyone participated, from Evelyn (84, who remembered childhood trips to the Economy candy store) down to Emma (14, who was named for Emma Goldman, listed on an historical marker). To engage such a disparate group is a remarkable feat and Eric handled it effortlessly. His "now and then" photos were a wonderful extra, making this altered neighborhood's past come alive for us. Great highlight of our weekend!

Visited September 2013