“In the Heart of Manhattan” 5 of 5 stars
Review of 414 Hotel

You added 414 Hotel to your Saves list
414 Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   414 W 46th St, New York City, NY 10036 (Hell's Kitchen)   |
Special Offer
Free nights in January!
Ranked #21 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Toronto, Canada
“In the Heart of Manhattan”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I recently had the pleasure of spending four nights at the 414Hotel. Although a stone’s throw from the madness of Times Square, the hotel is an oasis of serenity that charms its guests with a European-like ambience.

The location of the 414Hotel is perfect for the intrepid tourist, and I was able to easily walk out the front door to venues such as Central Park, the Upper West Side, Grand Central Terminal and Greenwich Village. Two nearby subway stops on Eight Avenue, at 42nd Street and 50th Street, enable you to pursue more distant adventures. If you're in New York City for the Broadway shows, it will take you only a few minutes to stroll to the theatre.

Although a light sleeper, I had no problem at night in a quiet room that overlooked the pocket-sized courtyard. The bed was comfortable, and my accommodation, dutifully kept clean by housekeeping, had all the requisite amenities.

The 414 Hotel staff is without exception kind and always helpful. At breakfast, you’re likely to meet Susan, the manager, whose warmth and enthusiasm will have you fighting the urge to take her home with you.

The only problem you’ll likely to have at the 414Hotel is the reluctance to leave when it’s time to check out.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We had a business trip to NY and stayed at the 414 Hotel. The beds were extremely comfortable, (even the cots!) and the service was perfect. We enjoyed the quality toiletries and the television to relax. Susan and Andrew were wonderful hosts! We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

We needed a hotel close to Foxwoods Theatre where my daughter was taking a workshop for Drama teachers. Initially there were three of us going on the trip, then four.I had to phone the hotel to make the booking to see what kind of rooms we could get and again when we added another person. From the moment of my first contact I knew this was the place to stay. Susan, Jacqueline and Maria made you feel like your trip was important to them and and helped us with any request big or small. I needed distilled water for a CPAP machine; waiting for me in my room. My sister didn't feel well one day, order a delivery of chicken soup from the diner on the corner? No Problem! Beds are comfy, bathrooms clean and modern, so close to all the theatres, restaurants and shopping we walked everywhere unless we were tired. Just a super place to stay, morning breakfast simple but good, wine and cheese in the evening every night if you have time! Rooms look just like the pictures on the website. Our room faced the front street and we fell asleep easily, not too much street noise. I would stay here again definitely if I am ever back in New York!

Room Tip: There is no elevator so if you can't do stairs make sure to mention that. They help you with you...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

If you're like me and saw the photos of this hotel online, hoping they'd live up to half of your expectations, you'll be glad to know that they fully exceeded mine. I travel to NYC a lot for work and found that one of the hardest parts is not feeling like you have a home to come back to after a long hard day. But not at 414 Hotel. They went out of their way to make sure I always felt comfortable and well taken care of. Every evening a staff member was there to greet me and offer me a glass of wine and cheese and guide me to the patio area where I could relax and unwind. It was remarkable how cozy this place could feel in the middle of the hustle and bustle of Hell's Kitchen, so close to Times Square and the Theater District. Not only was I able to get a very restful sleep in my surprisingly spacious room in the back, but there was always breakfast waiting downstairs when I woke up so I'd be ready for the day. The staff and guests were all friendly and polite, making my stay even more enjoyable. Susan and her staff go out of their way to make sure you are happy and comfortable. It felt like a family. I am already looking forward to my next stay. Thank you for such wonderful hospitality!

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Long Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

It feels like we just spent 3 days at a friend's beautiful town home...Susan and her crew really know how to do it right...from walking in the door and being greeted with a cool towel on a hot summer's day until the moment we checked out, we were spoiled by everything about this place...great food and drink, great conversations with the staff and other guests, great guest rooms, great location, great everything....a welcome change from anyplace we'd ever stayed at.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Long Island, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

A perfect gem in the middle of a harsh city. Susan and Andrew are the perfect hosts. The beds are super comfy, towels super fluffy and the room was perfect. Although we did not stay for the Happy Hour which featured cheeses and wines, we could tell that everything was put together with love. It was our anniversary and upon returning to our room after a show, there was a handwritten note congratulating us and a bottle of champagne in the fridge. How fabulous is that?
Susan, Andrew and their staff did everything right and we felt like we were home. A wonderful, unpretentious place. Close to all restaurants and Times Square. A very quiet residential street. We couldnt have stayed at a better place.

Thank you Susan, Andrew and Staff.

We will DEFINITELY be back

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

My father and I traveled over the July 4th weekend. I booked this hotel over the phone. We stayed in the Premiere Queen room overlooking the courtyard. The location is superb. It's a short walk to central park, times square, and the theatre district. There are many subway stations close, allowing full access to the rest of the city. Some of the reviews complained of the noise from the air conditioning units. I didn't find this to be distracting at all. They are window units, and the noise level is no different than that of my own bedroom at home. Susan definitely lives up to the reviews on here. She is gracious, courteous, and very welcoming. The hotel is well appointed. Even though it was listed as a boutique hotel I found the rooms to be quite spacious. My father and I have traveled to Europe and stayed in boutique hotels that were barely larger than a shoebox. The bathroom was large, and the provided toiletries were nicely fragranced.

The only issue that we ran into was the price. I was quoted a much lower price on the phone than I was actually charged. The hotel never sent me a confirmation email, so I had no proof of this. The gentleman at the desk quickly honored the price I was quoted, and corrected the problem. I was completely blown away at how gracious and accommodating they were. I will definitely be staying here the next time I return to the city.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to 414 Hotel? Share your experiences!