“Great location, value” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3 West 51st St, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #303 of 446 hotels in New York City
“Great location, value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Spent 6 nights here on our first visit to the city. Adequate accommodations, a great location to get to all the tourist sites, with a very friendly and helpful staff. Agree with reviewer about the pillows, but wouldn't discount this facility for that reason.. It was a minor annoyance, and I'm sure if I'd asked, I could have got a replacement. Our 6 th floor room on the street side was very clean and not noisy. It was small, but the deep soaking tub made up for it in my humble opinion.

What did surprise me was learning about the dress code in reading the room information notebook. I had NOT noticed this anywhere in the web information I'd perused before making this choice. Jacket required to use the dining room ( apparently some are available to borrow)... And if you are wearing denim, shorts, or sandals you are supposed to use a side entrance and not the front door. Since we didn't know this ahead of time we did not come prepared. Everything we'd read about vacationing in NYC suggested that casual attire was pretty much acceptable at most venues, including Broadway shows. (And, that was indeed our experience). That said, we did use the front door, and no one chastised us.

Since we weren't members, some services ( the business center, 9th floor) ) were not available to us. But when I couldn't get wi-fi in the lobby ( supposed to be available up to the 4th floor in your room) I was able to get it in the hall outside that business center. No coffee in the room, ice available in a service area on the 2nd floor, but bring your own container.

Do not miss going up to the solarium on the 9th floor where there is a balcony and tables for taking in a bit of a view with your morning coffee (if you've run out to the deli to get it).

The front desk was willing to print our boarding passes for flight home.

Also, we found the deli next door great for getting our morning coffee and, in a pinch, a quick breakfast sandwich before heading out to the day.... Two Starbucks are close by, if you're inclined to walk a block or two. The subway is close and very easy to master, at least for getting up-(north) or downtown.

I definitely recommend 3 West Club and will stay again on future visits.

Room Tip: Stay in 4th floor or below if wi-fi in your room is important to you.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

41 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Not a full service hotel, but if you're not bothered by that, you'll love this place. The hotel is intimate, quiet, and has the feel of old New York...or at least what I imagine old New York to feel like. We booked the suite for our family of four and found it lacking for nothing--especially for the price. The room was nicely decorated and included a comfortable king sized bed, a sofa with pullout, and a wing back chair and ottoman. The bathroom was extremely clean and bright with a pedestal sink and a deep bathtub, perfect for soaking. I even had a small room just to apply my makeup and style my hair. We had no trouble with noise even at the height of summer time, and the drapes were appropriately heavy, blocking out the city lights.The room included an armoire with a TV and DVD player which we made use of each evening to entertain the kids.

The staff were exceedingly friendly and helpful, answering questions, giving recommendations, and even assisting with our luggage after we checked out.

As far as location is concerned, this place can't be beat. Radio City Music Hall to the left, St. Patrick's Cathedral to the right, Rockefeller Center straight ahead, Broadway just down the street. It's a fairly quick walk to the Empire State Building and the Garment District, and we made it to Central Park in no time. Also, if you've forgotten something or just need to buy toiletries, water, or other items, there's a Duane Reede less than a block away. Plentiful shops abound--clothes, shoes, and everything else--we didn't get to do much shopping this go around, but will plan on it for next time. Parking is pretty convenient, as well--two parking garages are available for the hotel's use.

We will definitely return.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

Well the location is about the only positive thing going for this place and so if you remove that as a reason there is no way you should choose this place.

Got in early and had luggage left, but not in a safe room, but rather the open cloak room and so had the lady on the front desk been distracted for a few minutes our luggage could have also been.

Had a room on the 7th floor, hoping I could avoid the street noise. I was wrong. All night it was loud and clear. The 2 pillows were pathetic. I would have thought that since a decent pillow is say $20, lasts for 6 months makes it about 10cents a day.. There should be no excuse for the stuffed rag pockets we received. The bed felt smaller than a single (we had twin double). No room for the cases. The chair at the desk about 50 years old and creaks.

Te best but about this hotel was leaving

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Weirton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Stayed here last Saturday and Sunday night. The room was nothing fancy but extremely clean and the bed was quite comfortable. The staff was so helpful and friendly. Rockefeller Center and 5th Ave. are both so close. We walked everywhere and only had to pay a taxi fare back and forth to the airport. I will definitely stay here on my next visit and will recommend it to my friends.

Room Tip: Our room was toward the back of the hotel so we had no problem with noise.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

my aunt booked this hotel for us on two different occassions. the rooms are clean and spacious. big tv. the breakfast is nice, good variety. the best thing about this is the location. you are just across from rockerfella centre. only downside i remember was an issue the staff had with my aunty paying, they werent very helpful in that respect. apart from that, i would recommend.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

Just back from a 3 night stay at this hotel and had an amazing time in NYC. This hotel is so close to everything, we walked to Times Square, Broadway, the famous 5th Ave was around the corner. Rooms are basic but very clean had no complaints and the staff at reception were very friendly. Would definitely recommend this hotel and will be staying here again if I go back to NYC. Will be recommending to all my friends :)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

If you have a little bit more money, take a real hotel.
This "hotel" offers: no service, no help with the bags, no advice on restaurants, no good working air conditioning, no decent pillows and a very tiny room.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
gm3westclub, General Manager at 3 West Club, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and I am very sorry to hear of your disappointment. The 3 West Club is a small facility that does not represent itself as a full service hotel. We do have a restaurant facility but it is not open on Saturday or Sunday. We do not have bellmen but do have luggage racks available in our lobby for guest use and if one of our porters is available they are more then willing to help a guest.

Your comment regarding our front desk staff comes as a surprise. As you can see by many of our other reviews, our front desk staff is traditionally very helpfull with all inquiries and recieves high marks. Again, I am sorry for your disappointment in your stay but feel that perhaps our Club is not the right fit to your expectation.

Been to 3 West Club? Share your experiences!