“Amazing stay, great location, good value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Belnord Hotel

You added Belnord Hotel to your Saves list
Belnord Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   209 West 87th Street, New York City, NY 10024 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #341 of 455 Hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing stay, great location, good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

Have just finished a 15 night stay here and it has been great staying there.

We went in with very low expectations and were pleasantly surprised. The rooms are very small but they are clean and cosy.

We had a private bathroom in a twin room and the bathroom was AMAZING! So modern and the shower was powerful. The room also had a wardrobe which was unexpected along with a flatscreen television.

The staff are very friendly and helpful.

Location is perfect for if you want to be away from the chaos of midtown and experience something with more of a neighbourhood vibe. It's very easy to get anywhere with the various subways.

It's definitely a no frills hotel but this is what we wanted. When we did have issues including the television breaking and the toilet flooding they were fixed immediately.

My only negative is that the heating system is EXTREMELY noisy. Even when ours was turned off we could hear next door's and at first we thought it was a helicopter outside. We had to turn ours off because it was VERY VERY noisy.

But apart from that, a great stay!

Room Tip: Twin rooms are better as they have extra space between the beds and also an extra space where the wa...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
London, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

This is a great affordable hotel on the upper west side. Rooms are small as others have said but if you're on holiday in NYC you're not there to stay in your room. Rooms are clean and the location is excellent, minutes away from the subway and a short walk from Central Park. The cleaning staff were lovely. Only thing we'd have liked was a mini safe in the room but otherwise this seems hard to beat.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

I stayed ther with a friend of mine during holiday season 2013. The hotel was very clean, decent size of rooms, the staff was friendly and helpfull. One of the great points in our stay there was the location of the hotel. % minutes walk from subway, made the whole trip transportation a piece of cake.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

This is a clean, safe, convenient landing place for anyone visiting New York.
Subway and buses are steps away to get everywhere in the city. The rooms are clean (wood and tile floors let you see how clean!) and very comfortable. The heat and air work well (tested during the week of snow and below zero temperatures in January), the bed and linens were top notch. The bathroom was updated and spotless.
The staff was friendly, knowledgeable and efficient. Questions were answered, requests were fulfilled (I too experienced the mysterious noise, but they responded and resolved whatever it was immediately), and they were always pleasant, day and night.
The room was not spaceous, but if you are only sleeping there, there is plenty of usable space. In my full week's stay the internet and tv worked without a hitch!
The price is right, great location, good people...GO!

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Charleston, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here at the beginning of January this year (2014). We knew we wanted to stay on the Upper West Side from prior visits to New York, but wanted to try a different hotel from our last one there. Separated only by several blocks, this hotel was comparable to the last one we stayed at in terms of location. When comparing cost, however, this hotel was considerably less and just as convenient in location and value. Our double bed room here was very, very small - just enough room to move around the bed and desk. We had seen on other reviews that this was the case, and it certainly was.

The bathroom was adequate but the toilet made weird noises after every flush. Our bed was comfortable with several pillows and the bedding was clean. There were extra blankets and pillows in the tiny, tiny closet, which was nice. Towels were replaced faithfully, which was very nice. We had control over the heat for our room, which was great. Our view was a back wall of a neighboring building, but that was fine. We believe you really need to like the person you're rooming with here, though, because you are going to be in *very* close quarters for the duration of your stay.

The staff was friendly and polite. The internet worked fine but you had to log in everyday with a new password the staff can provide shortly after midnight every night. The staff arranged a car for us to take us to the airport on very short notice when our flight was unexpectedly moved up to an earlier time - the cost for the car was a flat $50 rate to LaGuardia, but well worth it.

The Belnord is *very* conveniently located to Central Park and several very good restaurants and coffee shops in the area. We recommend the Cafe on Broadway and 5-Napkin Burger (both about 2 blocks down on Broadway) as well as Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf (there are 2 fairly close by) and the Ocean Grille (about 8 blocks down on Columbus). The subway stop is one block over on Broadway from the hotel and well lit for nighttime travel back to the hotel.

If you need a truly cost-effective room to sleep and shower in at the end of everyday in the city that is also conveniently located to good food and transportation, the Belnord is great. If you plan to hang out in your room a lot, you might want to think twice about this really great and comfortable hotel. For our part, we will *certainly* stay at the Belnord Hotel when we visit New York again.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Pretoria, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

The room was very small, but clean. No facility to make coffee, but Starbucks was around the corner. Laundry next door was very handy. Close to Central Park. Very good location, close to the subway station but not too close. Quiet clean attractive part of Manhattan. The WiFi in the hotel worked OK, despite the staff's disclaimer that it might not. For New York (where hotels are usually a rip-off), the value was quite fair.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
teaneck
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

I booked a night at the Belnord based on the reviews. I will say that it is spotless and cozy. The bed is comfortable and inviting with 5 pillows. It is only as quiet as what is happening outside your door. I promised Manuel, the kind
and helpful caretaker, that I would put in a nice word for him. In fact, it is because of his kindness that I chose to stay another night. It was one of the worst nights of my life. The thing with this hotel is this: NONE of the tvs work, and NO one knows how to fix them. Manuel spent an hour the first night, and finally suggested I change rooms. He told me about the nice coffee machine, also broken. At about 1 in the morning, the toilet started running nonstop. AND YET, as a traveler to many countries, I have learned that the kindness of the staff can cancel out a lot of headaches. BUT, I am a woman traveling alone, and looking for an apartment in Manhattan is stressful. The next morning, I told Jonathan about the issues, left my bag in the storage room, and said I might stay another night.I was in fact TOO tired to take the bus home, a journey of one and one half hours. I decided to treat myself to a night of TV and another night in the city. BEFORE booking the room, I made sure I could get the same room. I called and was told they would save the room for me. When I got to the hotel it was no longer available. I took a different room. I got into bed right away, and tried the TV. BROKEN. They sent another man, who stayed one hour coming and going while I tried to talk on the phone. End result- O. I Was too tired to move rooms and I resented the lack of privacy. I slept for about 3 hours to a loud humming noise which WOULD NOT go away. I tried ear plugs called the desk. A very nice guy Daniel, said he would send someone to look at it. A man came up, asked if he could do something. I had been up almost three hours with no
TV to at least distract me. I told him I'd love a cup of tea. FOUND out the beverage machine was :Broken! I just felt so miserable at this point I almost walked to the all night cafe. Except I realized I had a fever. Daniel at the desk agreed I was entitled to compensation. He said to speak to Jonathan, whom I knew to be hardworking and nice.As LONG
as you Don't complain
The next morning he said he could not refund the night EVEN though I ONLY STAYED based on the fact I be given the same room. Daniel actually implied it was my fault because I didn't change rooms. He offered me 8-12$ refund. This was a really bad experience, and people need to hear about it

• Stayed January 2014

Been to Belnord Hotel? Share your experiences!