“Good hotel - Compact, but Comfortable” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Belnord Hotel

Save Saved
You added Belnord Hotel to your Saves list
Belnord Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   209 West 87th Street, New York City, NY 10024 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #339 of 451 hotels in New York City
Charleston, West Virginia
“Good hotel - Compact, but Comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here at the beginning of January this year (2014). We knew we wanted to stay on the Upper West Side from prior visits to New York, but wanted to try a different hotel from our last one there. Separated only by several blocks, this hotel was comparable to the last one we stayed at in terms of location. When comparing cost, however, this hotel was considerably less and just as convenient in location and value. Our double bed room here was very, very small - just enough room to move around the bed and desk. We had seen on other reviews that this was the case, and it certainly was.

The bathroom was adequate but the toilet made weird noises after every flush. Our bed was comfortable with several pillows and the bedding was clean. There were extra blankets and pillows in the tiny, tiny closet, which was nice. Towels were replaced faithfully, which was very nice. We had control over the heat for our room, which was great. Our view was a back wall of a neighboring building, but that was fine. We believe you really need to like the person you're rooming with here, though, because you are going to be in *very* close quarters for the duration of your stay.

The staff was friendly and polite. The internet worked fine but you had to log in everyday with a new password the staff can provide shortly after midnight every night. The staff arranged a car for us to take us to the airport on very short notice when our flight was unexpectedly moved up to an earlier time - the cost for the car was a flat $50 rate to LaGuardia, but well worth it.

The Belnord is *very* conveniently located to Central Park and several very good restaurants and coffee shops in the area. We recommend the Cafe on Broadway and 5-Napkin Burger (both about 2 blocks down on Broadway) as well as Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf (there are 2 fairly close by) and the Ocean Grille (about 8 blocks down on Columbus). The subway stop is one block over on Broadway from the hotel and well lit for nighttime travel back to the hotel.

If you need a truly cost-effective room to sleep and shower in at the end of everyday in the city that is also conveniently located to good food and transportation, the Belnord is great. If you plan to hang out in your room a lot, you might want to think twice about this really great and comfortable hotel. For our part, we will *certainly* stay at the Belnord Hotel when we visit New York again.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

940 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Greek first
Pretoria, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

The room was very small, but clean. No facility to make coffee, but Starbucks was around the corner. Laundry next door was very handy. Close to Central Park. Very good location, close to the subway station but not too close. Quiet clean attractive part of Manhattan. The WiFi in the hotel worked OK, despite the staff's disclaimer that it might not. For New York (where hotels are usually a rip-off), the value was quite fair.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
teaneck
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

I booked a night at the Belnord based on the reviews. I will say that it is spotless and cozy. The bed is comfortable and inviting with 5 pillows. It is only as quiet as what is happening outside your door. I promised Manuel, the kind
and helpful caretaker, that I would put in a nice word for him. In fact, it is because of his kindness that I chose to stay another night. It was one of the worst nights of my life. The thing with this hotel is this: NONE of the tvs work, and NO one knows how to fix them. Manuel spent an hour the first night, and finally suggested I change rooms. He told me about the nice coffee machine, also broken. At about 1 in the morning, the toilet started running nonstop. AND YET, as a traveler to many countries, I have learned that the kindness of the staff can cancel out a lot of headaches. BUT, I am a woman traveling alone, and looking for an apartment in Manhattan is stressful. The next morning, I told Jonathan about the issues, left my bag in the storage room, and said I might stay another night.I was in fact TOO tired to take the bus home, a journey of one and one half hours. I decided to treat myself to a night of TV and another night in the city. BEFORE booking the room, I made sure I could get the same room. I called and was told they would save the room for me. When I got to the hotel it was no longer available. I took a different room. I got into bed right away, and tried the TV. BROKEN. They sent another man, who stayed one hour coming and going while I tried to talk on the phone. End result- O. I Was too tired to move rooms and I resented the lack of privacy. I slept for about 3 hours to a loud humming noise which WOULD NOT go away. I tried ear plugs called the desk. A very nice guy Daniel, said he would send someone to look at it. A man came up, asked if he could do something. I had been up almost three hours with no
TV to at least distract me. I told him I'd love a cup of tea. FOUND out the beverage machine was :Broken! I just felt so miserable at this point I almost walked to the all night cafe. Except I realized I had a fever. Daniel at the desk agreed I was entitled to compensation. He said to speak to Jonathan, whom I knew to be hardworking and nice.As LONG
as you Don't complain
The next morning he said he could not refund the night EVEN though I ONLY STAYED based on the fact I be given the same room. Daniel actually implied it was my fault because I didn't change rooms. He offered me 8-12$ refund. This was a really bad experience, and people need to hear about it

• Stayed January 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

Yes, the rooms are small. Yes, the price isn't as low as many would expect for a room of this size. But this is New York City people. This was my first time visiting and even I knew what to expect.

We were on the third floor and never encountered an issue with noise. The TV worked just fine so we were able to watch a little bit while getting dressed. Wifi worked too. We stayed for three nights and found clean towels every time we returned to the room. The only issue I had was that the toilet made some weird screeching noise every time it was flushed. Not a big deal though.

If you're looking for a clean, warm room with a bed and hot shower that you'll only be returning to at night after a long day in the city, stay here. If you're looking for a room to work or hangout in, look elsewhere.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Lake Leelanau, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

First the good. The hotel is cheap (by Manhattan standards), very clean and in a great Upper West Side location (assuming you want to be on the Upper West Side). It is an easy, half block walk to the 1 Line and is within walking distance of groceries, coffee shops, etc. If you are traveling for pleasure and do not plan on spending much time in your hotel room, these may be the key factors for you and you will not be disappointed.

However, the rooms are very, very small. Even for Manhattan. The room I had was literally about 10 feet by 10 feet, excluding the bathroom. It had room for a bed and the TV, which was hung on the wall. There were two night stands, one of which held the phone. That was it. There was almost no room to turn around,. There was no room for a chair to sit in, much less a desk. Unfortunately, I was in Manhattan on business and needed to spend a considerable amount of time in the room working. This just wasn't possible. So, I sought out a coffee shop, took my computer and my iPhone and set up a hot spot using the phone. This way I was able to log onto the internet. But I couldn't make private business phone calls in a public space like this. So, the coffee shop as a work space didn't really work for me. Just to be clear, the hotel does have wireless internet, which is included in the price, but trying to lie on the bed (remember, there is no place to sit in the room), type and conduct business just wasn't possible for me.

Also, while not a big deal, the wireless internet is very slow. You can't really use it to stream video. It sort of works, but not very well. It's fine, though, for e-mail.

So, I gave the hotel 3 stars. A more precise rating would be 4 stars if price and cleanliness is paramount to you, but 1 star if you need to spend a lot of time in the room.

Room Tip: I had an interior room and it was very quiet!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
North River, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

Great location, fantastic price. As clean as possible. Small room, but it is manhattan. If you are a large couple, the basic room and bath might be too small. We are only 5' 8" and less, so it was fine for us.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Cold Spring, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night to sleep-in after a fun night out in Manhattan. The rooms are very small but clean and practical to just go to sleep. To be woken up by the cleaning staff doing their work was very annoying. I could hear loud walkie-talkies, stuff clanking and banging, conversations, etc. I often stay at budget places like this Manhattan over weekends but Id have to really think hard about staying here again.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Been to Belnord Hotel? Share your experiences!