“Great for families!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Benjamin

You added The Benjamin to your Saves list
The Benjamin
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   125 East 50th Street, at Lexington Avenue, New York City, NY 10022 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast & Perks
Ranked #91 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Great for families!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

Spacious and clean! For our family of 4 we choose the Jr suite which was perfect! My daughter loved the pillow selection and the plush owl - it made her stay! Parents like the spacious clean room and fabulous location away from the craziness of Times Square but still close enough to subway or walking cross town to see a show.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

I felt so much at home at the Benjamin Hotel. Omar Elnewishy the manager of the hotel was so hospitable and welcoming. He's so professional and so kind at the same time. He's one of the best hotel managers I've ever met. I always like to come back to stay at this hotel when I am in NYC, due to the great service and staff, especially people like Omar. I am excited to be back at the Benjamin soon!
Mina

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Herndon, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

The Benjamin is a very nice, friendly boutique in the middle of mid-town. We were well taken care of through the whole weekend...pillow menus, upgrade to a suite, bottle of wine and chocolate as a birthday treat.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

The front desk was amazing....concierge anna and khady were so incredible...customer service ...helpful...recommendations were amazing.....bellman and doorman were a pleasure...spa and hair folks were also terrific
I will stay here again...could be a bit cleaner.
Thanks so much.

Room Tip: Suites are best
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Plymouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

We selected this hotel using one of the hotel booking websites where you are not shown the name of the hotel until after you have booked. I was a bit skeptical but decided to give it at try and we ended up at the Benjamin. What a treat! It was luxurious and there is not one thing I can say negatively about our stay here. It is conveniently located in midtown and you can walk to just about anywhere from here. Plenty of coffee shops and restaurants near by and a quick walk to Grand Central Station!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

We booked this hotel based on the trip advisor reviews and a friend's recommendation. I will never stay here again and am writing a very honest review in the hopes people read it and think twice about a stay. My best friend and I booked a terrace suite from June 7-10 at a US $500 plus tax rate. I have stayed at the Setai (now Langham) and the Loews Regency in suites at comparable rates - there is no comparison!! Go to the benjamin web site and read about the fabulous terrace suite and view the pictures. Then read my review.

Check-in. As a "extra" we purchased a guaranteed 12 pm check in for $129. "We'll have your room ready" reads the web site. We arrived at 10:30 am taking an early flight from Toronto as we had the early check in. The woman at the desk barely looked at me and said the room wasn't ready. I said we didn't expect it until 12. She said that is not "guaranteed". There are people in the room so she was not sure if it will be ready. I said I would come back at 11:45 and left bags with concierge. Came back and she said it wouldn't be ready. No apology no conversation. She said they'd do something about the charge. Really??!! Like not charge us the $129. Wow. Room was ready at the regular check in time of 3 pm. Manager was there and was told I was upset that we didn't get our early check in. He said he would look after us and do something. He did nothing. A credit for the restaurant would have been a nice gesture. Very Bad start to stay.

The hotel. There is no lobby apart from a coffee table a a few chairs. Very disappointing. No amenities in the lobby. There may have been coffee for guests on the second floor but no one told us. We went to the coffee shop next door each morning. Papers are not delivered to room but in lobby. Get them early. Location of hotel is a bit far east though ok if you like to walk. If you like the area, the W, Waldorf Astoria and the Kimberly are within a block.

The room. While I appreciate not all rooms are identical, we did not get even close to the room advertised as the "terrace suite" on the hotel web site. The "terrace" ran the length of the room and was less than 30 inches wide! There were 2 very uncomfortable iron chairs and no table. It was so narrow we sat side by side. And had to pull out the desk chair when a friend visited. The "inspriting city view" as of the W hotel (which had HUGE terraces!). There was no "full size stainless steel refrigerator". It was a "mini bar" fridge filled with their mini bar fare. There was a microwave, a tiny sink and a less than 30 inch counter more than half taken up by their goodies. There was glassware and some plates. Not sure who could ever cook meal. The coffee maker was a no name brand and made the worst coffee ever. How about a Nespresso or starbucks brand for $500/night? The bathroom was tiny and had a tub and shower combo. The air conditioner was very loud.

The staff. Front desk were awful. No personality and no warmth. Didn't describe hotel or offer any advice. Manager seemed to care then dropped the ball. Bell staff fine and we tipped them for bags, hailing cabs etc. The first night when I got into bed, there was no top sheet under the comforter. Ick. Too late to do anything. Left a note for housekeeping asking them to please put one on!! Second day they didn't leave any face cloths. Discovered when in shower. Used a hand towel. There was no turn down service provided the first night despite being advertised. After showers before dinner a replenishment would have been welcome. We called and specifically requested it the last 2 nights. When I got home, there was a $13 charge on my visa for a whiskey taken from mini bar. We don't drink whiskey and didn't eat or drink anything from the mini bar. Nice. And we tipped the maids $5 a day...

Business center. A joke. One computer. We went to print boarding passes and it was slower then my first computer in the 1990's. After 20 minutes we gave up and went to the front desk and printed them there. Woman was exasperated and asked me to write the hotel about the business center computer as they don't do anything or care!! As water dripped on my head as I stood there talking to her she asked me to mention the leaking too!! This hotel has its share of issues!!

New York. Awesome city and we had a great time in spite of the benjamin.

I have no grudge against this hotel and wated to love it. The web site truly gives you the wrong impression and I am amazed this is not more noted in the reviews. Maybe we are the rare people to get suckered. Caveat Emptor.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
The_Benjamin, General Manager at The Benjamin, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Dear MandDplus2,

Thank you for sharing a review on TripAdvisor. Our customer feedback is incredibly important to us and is what sustains the close relationships we forge with our guests. I would very much like to talk with you in detail about your stay. The disappointing remarks you described are highly irregular and do not reflect the high standards of care we strive to deliver at every level of a stay with us. I certainly want you to stay with us again and to know that we have closely reviewed your concerns as a team. I would appreciate your time to speak with me further. I'd like to personally welcome you both back. My phone number is 212.715.2523 and my email address is ssasso@thebenjamin.com.

All the best to you and your best friend,

Steve Sasso

For more information on our newly redesigned luxe Midtown East hotel and our Best Rate Promise, please visit our website.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I thought I had booked 2 nights for a "decent price" in a good part of town, therefore felt this very high price was acceptable. The first morning I saw my bill had been slipped under the door - price was for 1 night (my bad). I've paid this amount plenty of times for excellent, high quality 5 Star hotels, but in this situation, the value offered felt like being robbed: room was dingy (daughter had mentioned this the night before we realized, I said Oh Well, it's only 2 nights), bathroom was like your first tiny apartment, no turn down service, no in room wifi, no bedside water bottle, no free breakfast - which for this price I would always expect, not even a chocolate on the pillow, and lots of traffic noise. Doormen and maids were very kind and helpful. Front desk staff apologized, but did nothing to remedy my problem and finally, begrudgingly gave us breakfast. No one offered to let me speak with a manager, no problem solving. There are plenty of other better hotels in the neighborhood. We walked to our second hotel, and were extremely happy - with its lovely atmosphere and far better price.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family