“I Recommend, Recommend, Recommend...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Benjamin

You added The Benjamin to your Saves list
The Benjamin
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   125 East 50th Street, at Lexington Avenue, New York City, NY 10022 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #94 of 458 Hotels in New York City
San Francisco, California
“I Recommend, Recommend, Recommend...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

I stayed here recently for two nights while on a business trip to New York. The Benjamin is one of many NYC hotels where I have stayed. I can honestly say that it has moved to the #1 spot for me in terms of Midtown East hotels. I felt good from the moment I stepped into the lobby and was greeted by the doormen. The staff is lovely and warm. In terms of my room, I loved it! Its comfort, size, and cleanliness were all a plus. Mine was very big by NYC standards. I love modern decor, and this one suited my tastes just fine. And the fact that I had a pillow menu from which to choose for my sleeping was a delightful bonus! The restaurant attached to the hotel has delicious food, and the Benjamin was perfectly located for all I needed to do. I'm definitely staying here again, and I've already recommended it to other colleagues.

Room Tip: I had a room on the east side of the building away from the main avenues and streets, so traffic noi...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
The_Benjamin, General Manager at The Benjamin, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Prudala,

Thank you for your recent visit to The Benjamin and for taking your time to provide us feedback about your visit. I humbled to hear that we are your new number one hotel on the East Side. Our associates strive to provide excellent service and it is great to hear that you experienced it while with us. I am delighted that you found our newly renovated rooms a great plus in the city and I am pleased to share with you that a redesign of our fitness center is almost complete. I look forward to having you with us again on your next visit to New York.

Joe Gaeta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

We switched to the Benjamin after a poor experience in a nearby hotel. We were assisted in everything we asked. We had a one bedroom suite booking. On arrival we were allocated a a 4th level suite on 50th St. We requested a move to an internal room when one was available. The next day we were moved to an internal suite on the 19th floor. This move occurred whilst we were out. When we returned, our bags and even the contents of our kitchenette, had been relocated. The concierge staff were very helpful, in particular, Anya. She was the reason we chose the Benjamin. The previous week she helped us with train bookings, when the Affinia 50 hotel concierge sent us to use the Business centre at the Benjamin Hotel, rather than do it himself. The beds were comfortable, the bathroom well stocked and all staff were extremely helpful. Thank you. Patricia

Room Tip: Ask for an internal room
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Patricia F,

Thank you for your recent visit to The Benjamin. Although you did not enjoy the location of your first room I am pleased that we were able to make the transition to quiet room easy for you. Thank for your kind words about Anya. She takes great pride in her work and I have passed your review along to her. When you are back in New York I truly hope that you will think of us at The Benjamin.

Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

At the last minute, we changed our hotel from the Waldorf to the Benjamin. What a great move. The Benjamin was excellent. The staff was helpful and friendly. Robert at the front desk made an extra effort to accommodate needs of a family. The doorman, bellman, and housekeeping were friendly and helpful. The GM sent a little birthday treat to the room for our son. And the terrace suite was tremendous. Friends staying at the St. Regis were envious. We look forward to going back to the Benjamin soon.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
The_Benjamin, General Manager at The Benjamin, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear Michael C,

Thank you for your recent visit to The Benjamin. It was great to hear that you decided to stay with us while in New York. Our Terrace Suites are very popular and provide a great space to relax. Thank you for your kind words our associates and especially Robert. I have passed along your review to them. I sincerely hope on your next visit to New York you will think of us at The Benjamin.

UK Business Traveller
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

I have just returned from a week in NYC where we stayed in the Benjamin. I had originally booked to go there earlier in the year but due to family illness we were not able to go. Once we had got the rebook dates I contacted Joe (the GM) with a few special requests to make the trip special for my wife as we had both had big"0" birthdays last year, it was our anniversary and she lost her Mum in the summer. Joe always responded quickly and positively and I could not believe the room when we got there. 1803- I can recommend it. Large suite with separate kitchen and large balcony with 180 degree views of Lexington avenue (photos to follow) ( one word of warning- would not recommend this is you have a fear of heights or young children!) Joe and his team had gone above and beyond what I requested to make it special for my wife. The room had recently been renovated and was extremely spacious and comfortable. Loads of storage space, sitting area and 2 flat screen TVs. The bathroom was not the largest but was adequate, clean and had a superb hot powerful shower. On the first morning we ordered room service for breakfast ( as we had arrived very late the night before) and unfortunately there was an initial misunderstanding which led to a bit of a delay. But this was rectified and a day later we received a personal apology from the catering manager together with a gift of wine with cheese and biscuits!. All of the staff that we came into contact with were polite courteous and seemed keen to help. A special mention to Gina on the front desk who was superb in suggesting restaurants, general advice and obtaining directions/ tickets etc. for us. Unfortunately never got to have a full meal in the National downstairs as every night they were very busy due to business conferences but the menu looked attractive and the afternoon tea we had was very pleasant. The cost are typical hotel restaurant level so not cheap. For those on a budget there is a superb all day breakfast at the New York Kitchen just 2 doors down from the hotel. The hotel is in a superb location with lots of the main sights being within easy waking distance or, when the feet begin to go, the subway is literally 1 block away. All in all a superb base for my first trip to NYC and will not hesitate in coming back here again (hopefully soon!) The only niggle I would have is the lack of WiFi in the rooms. There is free WiFi in the lobby but this is very slow (even compared to UK standards) but I understand that this is due t be part of future improvements. All in all a fantastic memorable stay. If anyone has read any of my other reviews I am not always the easiest to please but Joe and his team showed what real customer service and care can be. Hope to be back soon

Room Tip: 1803- terrace suite. Surprising quiet and great views
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Bilbos_Dad,

Thank you for recent visit to The Benjamin and for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I am extremely pleased that we were able to make your birthday stay a memorable one. I apologize for the service issue you had with In Room Dining and I am pleased that our team was able to rectify it for you. Our associates go to great lengths to provide exceptional and comfortable service and it is great to read that you were able to experience it while with us. Thank you for your kind words about Gina. I have passed along your comments to her. I am looking forward to having you back at The Benjamin on your next visit to New York.

ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

The photo is from our balcony!! What a place!!! Were in room 1808. The balcony went around the building. The food was very good I'm now waiting for my 18$ pot of coffee! It's annoying that trip advisor make me write 200 characters. There is that enough?

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear mastercolorist,

Thank you for recent visit to The Benjamin. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us. I am also pleased to hear that you were able to one of our suites with a terrace. It is a great feature for our guests to enjoy. I hope that you will select The Benjamin again on your next visit to New York.

delray beach
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

First the good-room recently remodeled & spacious, very pretty . Ate breakfast at the restaurant & food was good & service excellent .
The bad-the air conditioner fan was extremely loud-had to turn it off to sleep. No turn down service in the evening which I found surprising. Front desk is not welcoming-not 1 smile checking in or out. Now to the front door. When you are entering the hotel, you open the right door but the left door opens automatically outward(didn't know this). Hit my elderly father & cut his hand. While he was standing & bleeding in the lobby the entire front desk staff had eyes down like nothing was going on. I asked for some bandaids which were never delivered. It was clear that nobody was going to acknowledge that he was hurt. Well maybe there is something wrong with us but the next day the door got my friend in the head. He had no idea that the door opened outward. After that we were the crazy people whenever we entered the hotel I believe the doorman is usually on that side but when he's not there beware!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear yippee1014,

Thank you for providing us with feedback about your recent visit to The Benjamin. While I am pleased that you enjoyed the renovated rooms and The National it is disappointing to hear that you had several issues while with us. My Director of Front Office Operations would like to speak with you about your stay. Please reach out at your convenience directly at 212-715-2527. I look forward to having you back to The Benjamin on your next visit to New York.

Carrollton, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

We came to NYC with our 2 small children (5/7) and wanted the WOW factor for them. When I called to ask questions and reserve I was advised a terrace room would be perfect. Of course, I listened! We go to the hotel and went to our room on the 16th floor and my husband and I were mortified at this room. The carpet was dirty, buckling off the ground the walls were dirty and behind the couch were huge holes in the wall where a picture had been - not sure what happened. I went and complained and we were moved into the 15th floor which had no terrace and much larger and clean. I am not sure why they would offer the first room up to anyone - it isn't a cheap hotel? We stayed on the 15th floor over looking Lexington Ave and the kids loved the view and the city!

We then called and had more towels and kids robes brought up - never got the robes and towels took so long we had all already showered by the time we got them. Not sure why the delay?

All and all it is a nice hotel and I would go back! The people at the front desk were nice and helpful during the change.

Room Tip: If your room is bad - complain! Dont sleep in a dirty room!!!! Corner suites are worth the size and...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear LTSchall,

Thank you for your recent visit to The Benjamin. While I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your second room I sincerely apologize for the issues you had while with us. My Director of Front Office Operations would like to speak with you about your visit. Please reach out at your earliest convenience at 212-715-2527. I do hope that you will join us at The Benjamin again.

Best Regards,

Joe Gaeta

Been to The Benjamin? Share your experiences!