“What can I say..SUPERB!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Benjamin

You added The Benjamin to your Saves list
The Benjamin
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   125 East 50th Street, at Lexington Avenue, New York City, NY 10022 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #94 of 459 Hotels in New York City
UK Business Traveller
“What can I say..SUPERB!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

I have just returned from a week in NYC where we stayed in the Benjamin. I had originally booked to go there earlier in the year but due to family illness we were not able to go. Once we had got the rebook dates I contacted Joe (the GM) with a few special requests to make the trip special for my wife as we had both had big"0" birthdays last year, it was our anniversary and she lost her Mum in the summer. Joe always responded quickly and positively and I could not believe the room when we got there. 1803- I can recommend it. Large suite with separate kitchen and large balcony with 180 degree views of Lexington avenue (photos to follow) ( one word of warning- would not recommend this is you have a fear of heights or young children!) Joe and his team had gone above and beyond what I requested to make it special for my wife. The room had recently been renovated and was extremely spacious and comfortable. Loads of storage space, sitting area and 2 flat screen TVs. The bathroom was not the largest but was adequate, clean and had a superb hot powerful shower. On the first morning we ordered room service for breakfast ( as we had arrived very late the night before) and unfortunately there was an initial misunderstanding which led to a bit of a delay. But this was rectified and a day later we received a personal apology from the catering manager together with a gift of wine with cheese and biscuits!. All of the staff that we came into contact with were polite courteous and seemed keen to help. A special mention to Gina on the front desk who was superb in suggesting restaurants, general advice and obtaining directions/ tickets etc. for us. Unfortunately never got to have a full meal in the National downstairs as every night they were very busy due to business conferences but the menu looked attractive and the afternoon tea we had was very pleasant. The cost are typical hotel restaurant level so not cheap. For those on a budget there is a superb all day breakfast at the New York Kitchen just 2 doors down from the hotel. The hotel is in a superb location with lots of the main sights being within easy waking distance or, when the feet begin to go, the subway is literally 1 block away. All in all a superb base for my first trip to NYC and will not hesitate in coming back here again (hopefully soon!) The only niggle I would have is the lack of WiFi in the rooms. There is free WiFi in the lobby but this is very slow (even compared to UK standards) but I understand that this is due t be part of future improvements. All in all a fantastic memorable stay. If anyone has read any of my other reviews I am not always the easiest to please but Joe and his team showed what real customer service and care can be. Hope to be back soon

Room Tip: 1803- terrace suite. Surprising quiet and great views
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
The_Benjamin, General Manager at The Benjamin, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear Bilbos_Dad,

Thank you for recent visit to The Benjamin and for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I am extremely pleased that we were able to make your birthday stay a memorable one. I apologize for the service issue you had with In Room Dining and I am pleased that our team was able to rectify it for you. Our associates go to great lengths to provide exceptional and comfortable service and it is great to read that you were able to experience it while with us. Thank you for your kind words about Gina. I have passed along your comments to her. I am looking forward to having you back at The Benjamin on your next visit to New York.

Joe Gaeta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

The photo is from our balcony!! What a place!!! Were in room 1808. The balcony went around the building. The food was very good I'm now waiting for my 18$ pot of coffee! It's annoying that trip advisor make me write 200 characters. There is that enough?

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear mastercolorist,

Thank you for recent visit to The Benjamin. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us. I am also pleased to hear that you were able to one of our suites with a terrace. It is a great feature for our guests to enjoy. I hope that you will select The Benjamin again on your next visit to New York.

delray beach
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

First the good-room recently remodeled & spacious, very pretty . Ate breakfast at the restaurant & food was good & service excellent .
The bad-the air conditioner fan was extremely loud-had to turn it off to sleep. No turn down service in the evening which I found surprising. Front desk is not welcoming-not 1 smile checking in or out. Now to the front door. When you are entering the hotel, you open the right door but the left door opens automatically outward(didn't know this). Hit my elderly father & cut his hand. While he was standing & bleeding in the lobby the entire front desk staff had eyes down like nothing was going on. I asked for some bandaids which were never delivered. It was clear that nobody was going to acknowledge that he was hurt. Well maybe there is something wrong with us but the next day the door got my friend in the head. He had no idea that the door opened outward. After that we were the crazy people whenever we entered the hotel I believe the doorman is usually on that side but when he's not there beware!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear yippee1014,

Thank you for providing us with feedback about your recent visit to The Benjamin. While I am pleased that you enjoyed the renovated rooms and The National it is disappointing to hear that you had several issues while with us. My Director of Front Office Operations would like to speak with you about your stay. Please reach out at your convenience directly at 212-715-2527. I look forward to having you back to The Benjamin on your next visit to New York.

Carrollton, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

We came to NYC with our 2 small children (5/7) and wanted the WOW factor for them. When I called to ask questions and reserve I was advised a terrace room would be perfect. Of course, I listened! We go to the hotel and went to our room on the 16th floor and my husband and I were mortified at this room. The carpet was dirty, buckling off the ground the walls were dirty and behind the couch were huge holes in the wall where a picture had been - not sure what happened. I went and complained and we were moved into the 15th floor which had no terrace and much larger and clean. I am not sure why they would offer the first room up to anyone - it isn't a cheap hotel? We stayed on the 15th floor over looking Lexington Ave and the kids loved the view and the city!

We then called and had more towels and kids robes brought up - never got the robes and towels took so long we had all already showered by the time we got them. Not sure why the delay?

All and all it is a nice hotel and I would go back! The people at the front desk were nice and helpful during the change.

Room Tip: If your room is bad - complain! Dont sleep in a dirty room!!!! Corner suites are worth the size and...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear LTSchall,

Thank you for your recent visit to The Benjamin. While I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your second room I sincerely apologize for the issues you had while with us. My Director of Front Office Operations would like to speak with you about your visit. Please reach out at your earliest convenience at 212-715-2527. I do hope that you will join us at The Benjamin again.

Best Regards,

CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

We liked this hotel, not a big brand and has a nice boutique feel, easy access and location to midtown. Being on Lex Ave you can get a cab or train u town or downtown easy. Room was average size and comfy bed, clean bathroom although carpets need a good shampoo, but overall very good value. National restaurant in lobby has a great breakfast setup so super convenient.

Room Tip: Get a higher floor to reduce street traffic noise, also the 'suite' room has a little mini b...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
The_Benjamin, General Manager at The Benjamin, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear PatickCT14,

Thank you for your recent visit to The Benjamin. It is great to hear that you enjoyed our convenient midtown location, comfortable bed and other room amenities. We are proud to have The National as our hotel dining option and I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast there. I look forward to having you with us again on your next visit to New York.

Savannah, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

Overall the Benjamin is a good choice. the location is great--just steps away from the metro, the rooms are spacious and attractive, and they offer kitchen suites with microwaves and refrigerators which makes a stay in the city much easier. Nice to have easy access to yogurt and fruit. Also convenient for doggie bags from great restaurant meals.

Only negatives were the price (more than $550 for week nights) and very little counter space in bathroom for things female guests need.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
The_Benjamin, General Manager at The Benjamin, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear rosalie s,

Thank you for your recent visit to The Benjamin. I am delighted to hear that you found our midtown location to be convenient while in the city. Our spacious rooms do offer a great kitchenette area to keep food in your room while at the hotel. Thank you again for taking your time to share your feedback and we look forward to having you with us again on your next visit to New York.

Joe Gaeta,
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

The room had fleas all over the place along with chocolate massed into
the carpeting. Cheerios were in chair creases. Only received 2 towels
and there were no sheets on the bed. I do not recommend this room at
all.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

The_Benjamin, General Manager at The Benjamin, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear DKRInc,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about The Benjamin. I apologize that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Our housekeeping department did have the room inspected by our Pest Control company and they did not find anything in the room. I would like to have my Director of Housekeeping speak with you about the certificate that we received in regards to the room being free of any pests at 212-715-4535.

Best Regards,

Joe Gaeta

Been to The Benjamin? Share your experiences!