“Great Location, Average Hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Eurostars Dylan Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   52 East 41st Street, New York City, NY 10017 (Midtown)   |
Ranked #329 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Hailsham, United Kingdom
“Great Location, Average Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

The hotel itself looks tired, not awful, but it does need a facelift. Our room itself was basic, television, fridge etc. The usual standard in a 3/4 star (I was unsure, it states two different things on some of the websites.) Bed was comfortable, but 3 pillows for two people? Really? I folded up the comforter and slept with my pillow on top of that.
Bathroom was clean, everything worked, no worries there. Maid service was excellent, even when they forgot the pillow chocolates they went round and knocked on peoples door to hand them out. Room was always left immaculately.
The staff on the front desk were charming and helpful throughout our stay.
The location of the hotel is excellent, it is well worth the money just for it. We were a block away from Grand Central Station, great for hopping around late at night. Harold's Square/ Times Square is just 5/10 minutes walk away and not to mention all the restaurants surrounding us.

Room Tip: Got to "Essen" really great if you just need to pick up something to eat and go. Food is g...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, GA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

We reserved room in this hotel for 4 nights but cancelled 2 last nights after rude check in. The hotel enforces upgrade policy if you request 2 double beds. there is no signs neither said in the hotel website. We waited for our room 5 hours from 11-4. we were told to come back at 3 which is regular practice but waited another hour when no more people were checking in. Never felt people working at this hotel cared about their guests. This is not expected by travelers in the world biggest city. Too bad.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Excellent location. Stayed here 4 nights and no major issues. Found staff friendly and helpful at the front desk. Breakfast staff seemed to miss a beat some days - inconsistent. Rooms clean and cleaning staff friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Good land marks around so easy to when lost!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Wendover, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I stayed at the Dylan hotel last week and had a very frustrating stay. My sister had checked in a day ahead of me and when I arrived, they sent me to the incorrect room. As my key didn't work, the maid let me in (nice of her but a security issue to say the least). I called the front desk and I didn't even get an apology - just a 'oh, I sent you to the wrong room'. So I went to the correct room. My sister had bought some snacks for us and after opening a box of cookies, I went out for a walk. When I came back, the box of cookies, along with everything else on the counter above mini bar was covered in ANTS! I had to throw everything away and when my sister arrived, she insisted we move to another room. She called the front desk and they said we should come down and get a new room key. Seriously - a guest complains about bugs in the room and you can't even bring us a new room key?
Then the housekeeping manager and maid came in and decided to argue in front of the door about whether the ants were seen by the maid - we actually had to ask them to leave so we could finish packing.
We went downstairs and the front desk person never apologised and kept saying he'd never heard of an ant problem in the hotel. I asked him if he thought we were lying and he just said he had called the exterminator. Nothing was offered to us to make up for the bugs nor the hassle of having to change rooms, nor the $20 my sister has spent on snacks in the room that we had to throw away.
Our next room seemed better and we never saw any ants.
We had been told the manager would call us later that day to discuss the issue (I wasn't satisfied with how the front desk person handled the situation). The manager never called. I called the manager and he said his people never told him about the incident but later said he'd read that the exterminator was called. Why do people think ignorance of a problem excuses it??? It just makes them look worse.
He said he'd call Expedia and get a discount applied to the booking and call me back.
He never called me back. We never got a discount.
When we checked out the front desk person was slow and rude. My sister signed the credit card slip and the a/c blew it off the desk - the front desk person perceived this as my sister throwing it at him and shouted at her.
I would recommend sleeping on the subway grate outside the hotel over staying in this hotel. The décor is odd - some quirky touches and other bits are just old and dated.
The fitness centre is a joke - broken machines, no water in the fridge and the TV has no remote.
The staff are the worst bit - which makes no sense to me as good customer service doesn't cost a thing.
If someone has just taken a bit of responsibility, or even empathy, around the whole ant situation, we would have been happy. But no one could be bothered.
My company just opened new offices nearby and are looking for recommendations for nearby hotels - the Dylan hotel will not be one of them.

Room Tip: Choose a room at a different hotel!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dundee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Stayed at this hotel from 1st July to the 8th. All the reviews I had read were a bit up and down. Well Just to put the record straight my family had a lovely time here , ok its not the Ritz but its clean , central for almost everything and I found all staff of a friendly nature , they all smiled and said hello every time we came and went.

There are loads of placed of interest minutes from here and plenty of places to eat plus Fifth Ave is minutes away if you love shopping.

I would certainly return in a minute to this hotel as we were left to get on with our holiday with as little fuss as possible. On our way to the airport heading home they phoned a private cab which was spottless and only 65 dollars , we arrived in 20 mins and the lady driver was very pleasant.

Many Thaks to all the staff for a relaxing and peaceful say. All the best.

Room Tip: The room awe had was top floor no view but very quite from the street noises and we had a good sleep...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Boston, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

What to say?
Paper thin walls (could hear my neighbor clear his throat)
Room badly in need of a refresh (scuffed walls, chipped furniture).
No working wifi for 2 days and no one at the front desk seemed to care.
Many better choices in the city.

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Eurostars Dylan Hotel? Share your experiences!