“Cheap hostel - get what you pay for.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Chocolat Hostel

Save Saved
You added Chocolat Hostel to your Saves list
Chocolat Hostel
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   850 West End Avenue, New York City, NY 10025 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #419 of 452 hotels in New York City
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
“Cheap hostel - get what you pay for.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

Arrived at the hostel and was told nothing. The girl on the desk was really unfriendly. Told me my room was on the 2nd floor and nothing else. Didn't tell me about the TV room in the basement - took me two days to find out it was there.

Got to my room and it was a smallish room with one bunk bed, a mirror and a tiny table. The bed was made up and the room was warm. Met my room-mate, she was lovely. Felt really safe leaving my bag in my room.

When I finally found the TV room, got chatting to some really lovely people. There's also a laundry room, computers with internet, lockers and vending machines in the basement.

The hostel is really close to the subway which takes you into the heart of Manhattan. It's also really close to the Hudson river and Central Park. It's also a block down from Metro Diner, where they serve AMAZING pancakes!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo

213 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2011 via mobile

Just arrived after a long flight from the uk!! Very ignorant staff!! Place smells!! Full of creepy people!! Room disgusting!! No tv or sink or plug, stains on the walls, dirty bedding!! Burst into tests and wishing I was on next flight home!! Awful awful!!!

• Stayed February 2011
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

The Romanian guy at the front desk was incredibly rude, the rooms
filthy and roaches running freely. Bathrooms were smelly and filthy
as well. Stay away from this creepy dive. They prey on foreigners
who are vulnerable.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

You should know what you are in for if you make a reservation at a hostel. Don't expect fancy shmancy. Don't expect clean. Don't expect red carpets. Chocotat's location can't be beat and for the price this is the place to stay. Workers are friendly enough and somewhat helpful. Place is in need of a SUPER cleaning; doesn't seem that carpet had been vaccumed in months, maybe even more than a year. Bring your own sleeping bag; the bed linens are pretty gross. Most other guests are international and don't speak much english. I went with my mom (in her 50's) and sister (20's) and we all agreed this was a gross place, but the location was worth the money. I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

First off...I booked this room on hotels.com (incredibly crappy organization) for about $100. When I saw the room, I about s*at myself. I wasn't expecting much, but yes, this was nothing like what was depicted on the hotels.com website. No TV, no furniture, no towels...just a rickety metal bunk bed with a pad that was supposed to be a mattress and sheets that were like sheets of paper. Free wi-fi? What wi-fi? There was so much hair in the shared bath tub, it looked as if someone had tried to force a cat down the drain. Thank god I was only there one night. It seemed that the majority of other guests were foreigners that were vacationing/exploring NYC...probably had no idea what they were signing up for when they booked their rooms. I wasn't looking for luxury accomodation by any means, but when you depict your rooms as being a certain way and charge $100 for it, I expect a $100 room. I'd say these rooms were worth $30 a night tops. In fact, I found another website that listed the rate at $30 or $40 a night at the Chocolat. Of course, when I tried to enforce hotels.com price match guarantee, I never heard from them. If you stay here, I'd book directly and haggle with the front desk over price. Also, wear a condom or dental dam at all times unless you want to spend the extra money on an STD test when you check out.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

Having never been to prison-I hope that my stay at Chocolat Hostel is as close as I ever get. The room -a single, included a medal bunk bed, had a bare light bulb on the ceiling and NOTHING else in the room. The bath was down the hall-forget about clean, I never risked taking a shower-the tub had at least one inch of mold. Upon arriving I asked for another room and was shown the same layout with the addition of a toilet in the corner..

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Roanoke, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2010

We stayed here over the holidays. OUr family includes two small children and we were all quiet pleased. We are a conventional firmly upper middle class family who are not scared off by sparse amenities or less than stunning rooms. That said, we know when to say when and I was very concerned about many reviews I had read and considered cancelling my reservation. I am very glad I did not. The rate was insanely low for the location (the north-west side of Central Park around the 100 block and near Broadway) and the room was very well suited for our needs. Understand this is pure no frills, ie. no tv, shared bath, standard sheets, no comforter. The showers went cold fast and if you slept in, getting a shower might require a wait (we got up well before most in the hostel). The staff was considerate and accomodation, but pretty busy. For example, we had to shovel out of heavy snow and they happily lent me a snow shovel, but I had to wait quiet a while to get it. The rooms were clean, though pretty run down. Our room was very convenient and spacious, though I heard that other rooms had tighter dimensions. The beds were comfortable; though we were glad we brought extra blankets. There was some street noise and hall sounds, but nothing we could not sleep through. We had wi-fi in our room, which helped entertain my wife and I after the kids went down for the night and we were trapped in the darkened room. The common space was small, but bristling with interesting people and discussions. The location was very convenient and we got premium street parking right in front. The neighborhood was very walk able and pleasant. And most of all, the price was the best you are likely to find in the City. Be aware, this is no frills and best suited for those who plan on spending most of their time out and about, but we will probably check in hear in the future rather than staying in tight quarters with friends when we visit the City .

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Been to Chocolat Hostel? Share your experiences!