“Cheap and poor” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Chocolat Hostel

Save Saved
You added Chocolat Hostel to your Saves list
Chocolat Hostel
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   850 West End Avenue, New York City, NY 10025 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #428 of 456 Hotels in New York City
Kragujevac, Serbia
“Cheap and poor”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for three days in March 2010 for touristic reasons. Location of the hotel is not great, but it is on Manhattan, and almost on the Broadway street, so I could use subway. Columbia university and Central park are nearby.
The only reasons why I have chosen this hotel were its price and the location. It was really cheap, and I got almost exactly what I paid for. I paid for single room, and that was what I got. However, I did not know that the toilet seat is going to be in the same room, and with no doors separating it from the rest of the room. The showers were for the entire floor.
I cannot say that I had any problems with check-in and check-out, although receptionist were not very useful. I could use free Internet in very, very small lobby. If you need cheap room, only to sleep over, this is a good choice, but do not expect anything more.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

From the frontdesk customer care to the rooms, RUN AWAY from this place.

I came, and nobody found my reservation, and the guy from frontdesk say that since i'm doing the "reservation" at the time that i'm making the check in, the price was different, i was leaving the building when he calls me and make the same price.

WORTHLESS, i should left and look for another place, since i just stayed for 1 day there, the worst day in my life.

When i was there, the elevator start to burn and all the building was evacuated, the place is a nightmare!

Room Tip: You should look some hotels or hostels at the broadway or amsterdam avenue.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Boynton Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

God awful filthy.filthy isnt a strong enough word. They say upper east side but is actually Harlem. Pics are fake. Terrible front desk help. Tv did not work. No towels. Left and staued near 30 rock.at Affinia hotel.

• Stayed September 2012
Baden, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2011

Stayed there with my wife in March 2011. The guy at the front desk hates his job and lets you know that. We were travelling on to South America and had no printout of our connecting flight information. We were forced to use the antique computer in the lobby (and pay for that!) just to print out what we had showed him on our phone before. He then copied some data from that printout into his computer instead of copying it from the screen, which would have been MUCH faster and cheaper for us. We then found out that they had scr**** up our reservation and that there was no room with a double bed left. After almost TWO HOURS we ended up in a smelly, tiny room with a metal double story bed like those at army camps (or prison). The next day we were given a room with a double bed, and that was just it: a room with a double bed, NOTHING else. The cleanlyness of the place was OK for a hostel, but just about everything else was simply terrible. It's a two minute walk to the sub, so the location is OK.

Room Tip: Our tip to help travelers to choose a good room: go to another place.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Swansea, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

I would never ever say in this hostel again. It was awful. We paid more money for 3 days than is realistic for a NYC hostel and when we got into the room it had a bunk bed and NOTHING ELSE> awful. When I went to complain, the manager was unavaliable, and they would not return the money.

Room Tip: don't stay
  • Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011 via mobile

Me and my traveling buddy booked the hostel through a travel agent, our only requests were that we did share a room with others.

The room was very basic, a bunk bed and a bin. The sheets on the bed were not thick at all, requested more and was handed two moth eaten blankets. We decided not to use these as we had read reviews on here about bed bugs so didn't want to introduce any insects to our seemingly beg bug free beds. Instead slept in jumper and trousers.

Common areas not a good a ones we had in LA (pool table, bar etc missing) and this meant meeting other travelers was not the easiest. (but when you are in NY there are plenty of other things to do.

Lots of people complaining of noisy pipes, bed bugs, cockroaches, filth and grime etc. We did not see much of these things. But in the bathroom the pipes were banging loudly and I'm sure some rooms have bed bugs. I could see this hostel potentially being a nightmare for some travelers, but luckily for us it was adequate and we were fine!

I wouldnt stay there again because it's just too unpredictable what your stay will be like, but if you don't mind roughing it out. This place is cheap and in a good spot!

• Stayed January 2011
Buenos Aires, Argentina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

Before I checked in I read every review here on Trip Advisor. I honestly was scared to find a dirty room and bathroom with... bed bugs! I expected a terrible stay. However, I was surprised to find a neat and clean individual room with a clean shared bathroom. I recommend it for its perfect location and affordable price. I don't recommend it in Winter (cold cold room) unless you take your own bed covers but the shower was perfect though. It's true that the staff is not friendly at all. There is a big TV and there are electronic lockers downstairs!! Wifi is good and if you don't have a laptop there are computers available (you have to pay though).

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo

Been to Chocolat Hostel? Share your experiences!