“The worst experience EVER” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Chocolat Hostel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Chocolat Hostel
You added Chocolat Hostel to your Saves list
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   850 West End Avenue, New York City, NY 10025 (Upper West Side)   |
Ranked #434 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil
“The worst experience EVER”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

From the frontdesk customer care to the rooms, RUN AWAY from this place.

I came, and nobody found my reservation, and the guy from frontdesk say that since i'm doing the "reservation" at the time that i'm making the check in, the price was different, i was leaving the building when he calls me and make the same price.

WORTHLESS, i should left and look for another place, since i just stayed for 1 day there, the worst day in my life.

When i was there, the elevator start to burn and all the building was evacuated, the place is a nightmare!

Room Tip: You should look some hotels or hostels at the broadway or amsterdam avenue.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Boynton Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

God awful filthy.filthy isnt a strong enough word. They say upper east side but is actually Harlem. Pics are fake. Terrible front desk help. Tv did not work. No towels. Left and staued near 30 rock.at Affinia hotel.

• Stayed September 2012
Baden, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2011

Stayed there with my wife in March 2011. The guy at the front desk hates his job and lets you know that. We were travelling on to South America and had no printout of our connecting flight information. We were forced to use the antique computer in the lobby (and pay for that!) just to print out what we had showed him on our phone before. He then copied some data from that printout into his computer instead of copying it from the screen, which would have been MUCH faster and cheaper for us. We then found out that they had scr**** up our reservation and that there was no room with a double bed left. After almost TWO HOURS we ended up in a smelly, tiny room with a metal double story bed like those at army camps (or prison). The next day we were given a room with a double bed, and that was just it: a room with a double bed, NOTHING else. The cleanlyness of the place was OK for a hostel, but just about everything else was simply terrible. It's a two minute walk to the sub, so the location is OK.

Room Tip: Our tip to help travelers to choose a good room: go to another place.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Swansea, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

I would never ever say in this hostel again. It was awful. We paid more money for 3 days than is realistic for a NYC hostel and when we got into the room it had a bunk bed and NOTHING ELSE> awful. When I went to complain, the manager was unavaliable, and they would not return the money.

Room Tip: don't stay
  • Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

Me and my traveling buddy booked the hostel through a travel agent, our only requests were that we did share a room with others.

The room was very basic, a bunk bed and a bin. The sheets on the bed were not thick at all, requested more and was handed two moth eaten blankets. We decided not to use these as we had read reviews on here about bed bugs so didn't want to introduce any insects to our seemingly beg bug free beds. Instead slept in jumper and trousers.

Common areas not a good a ones we had in LA (pool table, bar etc missing) and this meant meeting other travelers was not the easiest. (but when you are in NY there are plenty of other things to do.

Lots of people complaining of noisy pipes, bed bugs, cockroaches, filth and grime etc. We did not see much of these things. But in the bathroom the pipes were banging loudly and I'm sure some rooms have bed bugs. I could see this hostel potentially being a nightmare for some travelers, but luckily for us it was adequate and we were fine!

I wouldnt stay there again because it's just too unpredictable what your stay will be like, but if you don't mind roughing it out. This place is cheap and in a good spot!

• Stayed January 2011
Buenos Aires, Argentina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

Before I checked in I read every review here on Trip Advisor. I honestly was scared to find a dirty room and bathroom with... bed bugs! I expected a terrible stay. However, I was surprised to find a neat and clean individual room with a clean shared bathroom. I recommend it for its perfect location and affordable price. I don't recommend it in Winter (cold cold room) unless you take your own bed covers but the shower was perfect though. It's true that the staff is not friendly at all. There is a big TV and there are electronic lockers downstairs!! Wifi is good and if you don't have a laptop there are computers available (you have to pay though).

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Norridge, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

I arrived at the hostel hours before check-in time, and I was able to put my bags in a locker and check my email at one of the lobby computers, and then it was a quick walk around the block to the subway.
When it came time to check-in, the front desk was friendly and quick, although they had some trouble with their English.
My room was a typical hostel room--small, basic, yet adequate. I'd recommend bringing a pillowcase if possible.
The other travelers in the hostel left their washclothes and loofahs in the communal showers--gross!!
All in all, I was very happy with this hostel and it was better than hostels I've stayed at in London, Paris, Rome, Florence and Munich.
It was so much fun coming back after a night at the bars at 3am to find the lobby packed with visitors from all over the world getting to know each other.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo