“If you can afford it, go elsewhere” 2 of 5 stars

Best prices from these 1 sites
Save Saved
You added Chocolat Hostel to your Saves list
Chocolat Hostel
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   850 West End Avenue, New York City, NY 10025 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #423 of 453 Hotels in New York City
Baden, Switzerland
“If you can afford it, go elsewhere”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2011

Stayed there with my wife in March 2011. The guy at the front desk hates his job and lets you know that. We were travelling on to South America and had no printout of our connecting flight information. We were forced to use the antique computer in the lobby (and pay for that!) just to print out what we had showed him on our phone before. He then copied some data from that printout into his computer instead of copying it from the screen, which would have been MUCH faster and cheaper for us. We then found out that they had scr**** up our reservation and that there was no room with a double bed left. After almost TWO HOURS we ended up in a smelly, tiny room with a metal double story bed like those at army camps (or prison). The next day we were given a room with a double bed, and that was just it: a room with a double bed, NOTHING else. The cleanlyness of the place was OK for a hostel, but just about everything else was simply terrible. It's a two minute walk to the sub, so the location is OK.

Room Tip: Our tip to help travelers to choose a good room: go to another place.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Swansea, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

I would never ever say in this hostel again. It was awful. We paid more money for 3 days than is realistic for a NYC hostel and when we got into the room it had a bunk bed and NOTHING ELSE> awful. When I went to complain, the manager was unavaliable, and they would not return the money.

Room Tip: don't stay
  • Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011 via mobile

Me and my traveling buddy booked the hostel through a travel agent, our only requests were that we did share a room with others.

The room was very basic, a bunk bed and a bin. The sheets on the bed were not thick at all, requested more and was handed two moth eaten blankets. We decided not to use these as we had read reviews on here about bed bugs so didn't want to introduce any insects to our seemingly beg bug free beds. Instead slept in jumper and trousers.

Common areas not a good a ones we had in LA (pool table, bar etc missing) and this meant meeting other travelers was not the easiest. (but when you are in NY there are plenty of other things to do.

Lots of people complaining of noisy pipes, bed bugs, cockroaches, filth and grime etc. We did not see much of these things. But in the bathroom the pipes were banging loudly and I'm sure some rooms have bed bugs. I could see this hostel potentially being a nightmare for some travelers, but luckily for us it was adequate and we were fine!

I wouldnt stay there again because it's just too unpredictable what your stay will be like, but if you don't mind roughing it out. This place is cheap and in a good spot!

• Stayed January 2011
Buenos Aires, Argentina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

Before I checked in I read every review here on Trip Advisor. I honestly was scared to find a dirty room and bathroom with... bed bugs! I expected a terrible stay. However, I was surprised to find a neat and clean individual room with a clean shared bathroom. I recommend it for its perfect location and affordable price. I don't recommend it in Winter (cold cold room) unless you take your own bed covers but the shower was perfect though. It's true that the staff is not friendly at all. There is a big TV and there are electronic lockers downstairs!! Wifi is good and if you don't have a laptop there are computers available (you have to pay though).

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Norridge, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

I arrived at the hostel hours before check-in time, and I was able to put my bags in a locker and check my email at one of the lobby computers, and then it was a quick walk around the block to the subway.
When it came time to check-in, the front desk was friendly and quick, although they had some trouble with their English.
My room was a typical hostel room--small, basic, yet adequate. I'd recommend bringing a pillowcase if possible.
The other travelers in the hostel left their washclothes and loofahs in the communal showers--gross!!
All in all, I was very happy with this hostel and it was better than hostels I've stayed at in London, Paris, Rome, Florence and Munich.
It was so much fun coming back after a night at the bars at 3am to find the lobby packed with visitors from all over the world getting to know each other.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Halmstad, Sweden
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

We were staying there for 9 days because it was cheap!
And we did not dislike it! The staff was horrible, they didn´t even look you in the eyes when you were talking to them. the rooms wasn´t that good but you get what you pay for!

The locaion was really great, close to the subway, close to a nice mexican restaurant and a couple of blocks to central park.

If you don´t have high standards it´s not that bad!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

Arrived at the hostel and was told nothing. The girl on the desk was really unfriendly. Told me my room was on the 2nd floor and nothing else. Didn't tell me about the TV room in the basement - took me two days to find out it was there.

Got to my room and it was a smallish room with one bunk bed, a mirror and a tiny table. The bed was made up and the room was warm. Met my room-mate, she was lovely. Felt really safe leaving my bag in my room.

When I finally found the TV room, got chatting to some really lovely people. There's also a laundry room, computers with internet, lockers and vending machines in the basement.

The hostel is really close to the subway which takes you into the heart of Manhattan. It's also really close to the Hudson river and Central Park. It's also a block down from Metro Diner, where they serve AMAZING pancakes!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo

Been to Chocolat Hostel? Share your experiences!