“A great hostel for young traveler on a budget” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Chocolat Hostel

You added Chocolat Hostel to your Saves list
Chocolat Hostel
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   850 West End Avenue, New York City, NY 10025 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #430 of 455 Hotels in New York City
Norridge, Illinois
“A great hostel for young traveler on a budget”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

I arrived at the hostel hours before check-in time, and I was able to put my bags in a locker and check my email at one of the lobby computers, and then it was a quick walk around the block to the subway.
When it came time to check-in, the front desk was friendly and quick, although they had some trouble with their English.
My room was a typical hostel room--small, basic, yet adequate. I'd recommend bringing a pillowcase if possible.
The other travelers in the hostel left their washclothes and loofahs in the communal showers--gross!!
All in all, I was very happy with this hostel and it was better than hostels I've stayed at in London, Paris, Rome, Florence and Munich.
It was so much fun coming back after a night at the bars at 3am to find the lobby packed with visitors from all over the world getting to know each other.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Halmstad, Sweden
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

We were staying there for 9 days because it was cheap!
And we did not dislike it! The staff was horrible, they didn´t even look you in the eyes when you were talking to them. the rooms wasn´t that good but you get what you pay for!

The locaion was really great, close to the subway, close to a nice mexican restaurant and a couple of blocks to central park.

If you don´t have high standards it´s not that bad!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

Arrived at the hostel and was told nothing. The girl on the desk was really unfriendly. Told me my room was on the 2nd floor and nothing else. Didn't tell me about the TV room in the basement - took me two days to find out it was there.

Got to my room and it was a smallish room with one bunk bed, a mirror and a tiny table. The bed was made up and the room was warm. Met my room-mate, she was lovely. Felt really safe leaving my bag in my room.

When I finally found the TV room, got chatting to some really lovely people. There's also a laundry room, computers with internet, lockers and vending machines in the basement.

The hostel is really close to the subway which takes you into the heart of Manhattan. It's also really close to the Hudson river and Central Park. It's also a block down from Metro Diner, where they serve AMAZING pancakes!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2011 via mobile

Just arrived after a long flight from the uk!! Very ignorant staff!! Place smells!! Full of creepy people!! Room disgusting!! No tv or sink or plug, stains on the walls, dirty bedding!! Burst into tests and wishing I was on next flight home!! Awful awful!!!

• Stayed February 2011
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

The Romanian guy at the front desk was incredibly rude, the rooms
filthy and roaches running freely. Bathrooms were smelly and filthy
as well. Stay away from this creepy dive. They prey on foreigners
who are vulnerable.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

You should know what you are in for if you make a reservation at a hostel. Don't expect fancy shmancy. Don't expect clean. Don't expect red carpets. Chocotat's location can't be beat and for the price this is the place to stay. Workers are friendly enough and somewhat helpful. Place is in need of a SUPER cleaning; doesn't seem that carpet had been vaccumed in months, maybe even more than a year. Bring your own sleeping bag; the bed linens are pretty gross. Most other guests are international and don't speak much english. I went with my mom (in her 50's) and sister (20's) and we all agreed this was a gross place, but the location was worth the money. I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

First off...I booked this room on hotels.com (incredibly crappy organization) for about $100. When I saw the room, I about s*at myself. I wasn't expecting much, but yes, this was nothing like what was depicted on the hotels.com website. No TV, no furniture, no towels...just a rickety metal bunk bed with a pad that was supposed to be a mattress and sheets that were like sheets of paper. Free wi-fi? What wi-fi? There was so much hair in the shared bath tub, it looked as if someone had tried to force a cat down the drain. Thank god I was only there one night. It seemed that the majority of other guests were foreigners that were vacationing/exploring NYC...probably had no idea what they were signing up for when they booked their rooms. I wasn't looking for luxury accomodation by any means, but when you depict your rooms as being a certain way and charge $100 for it, I expect a $100 room. I'd say these rooms were worth $30 a night tops. In fact, I found another website that listed the rate at $30 or $40 a night at the Chocolat. Of course, when I tried to enforce hotels.com price match guarantee, I never heard from them. If you stay here, I'd book directly and haggle with the front desk over price. Also, wear a condom or dental dam at all times unless you want to spend the extra money on an STD test when you check out.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Been to Chocolat Hostel? Share your experiences!