“Terrible PHD experience. Would never go here again” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Dream Meatpacking District

You added Dream Meatpacking District to your Saves list
Dream Meatpacking District
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   355 West 16th Street, New York City, NY 10011 (Formerly Dream Downtown) (Chelsea)   |
Ranked #72 of 459 Hotels in New York City
“Terrible PHD experience. Would never go here again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

I decided to celebrate my birthday here. I called several times and called 2 weeks in advance to make sure I had all the appropriate information for my friends. I even put our names on the guest list. I was assured there was no cover charge. When I arrived with my friends the white and Asian females attending the club were allowed in without questions and without charge. The line was moving pretty fast. When it got to me and my friends we were told we had to pay 3500 to get in. When we asked why they didn't have an explanation for us. They went from 3500 dollars to 2500 to eventually 1500 which was still ridiculous. I told the bouncer I called ahead I was assured it was no cover charge and also that I was on the guest list. I basically told if we don't pay the 1500 we wouldn't get it. I was appalled at how they treated us and would never recommend this place to everyone. My friends and I weren't welcome there and they made that known with there outlandish request.

Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

being a londerer i love nyc and being able to walk or cab it everywhere. this hotel was ideally placed for that.
the staff were always courteous and went over and above to help with whatever i needed.
the gym had all the right equipment and was always available. i didnt use the spa so cant comment.
the lifts were secure as u had to use your room key to activate them (took a bit of getting used to)
didnt use room service as i ate out most of the time due to so many good restaurants in the neighbourhood.
would i go back, yes, definitely.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dallas, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

A fun hotel experience in currently the hippest part of NYC. The rooms are fun and flirty especially if you get the ones with pool access. The pool scene is the best in NYC. You do not have to go far to see or be seen - just hang out in the lobby for great music, drinks and fun cocktail scene. The rooftop bar has amazing views inside and out. This is a great place for couples, friends and business with pleasure.

Room Tip: Depending on how important sleep is - some rooms may be loud from lobby music.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

I lived in New York City for a few years and recent returned for a long-weekend making this was my first experience at the Dream Downtown. They were willing to upgrade our room since the hotel was not fully booked for the weekend which was very nice. The room was pretty small but not terrible by New York standards. The bathroom was not very user friendly, tiny sink with no counter space and water didnt seem to drain easily as well as a door that didn't close all the way or seem to lock which can be annoying if you are sharing the room.

Most importantly: this is definitely a hotel for young people, there are frequent outdoor pool parties as well as a club that gets very busy at night. I could hear music from the pool while in my room during the day but everything was pretty quite at night. Also, a great location right in Chelsea so it is easy to walk to everything downtown or take a subway. Right across the street from Chelsea Market which you can't beat!

Overall, I nice experience but I would not recommend this hotel for families or those traveling on business, it is really ideal for young people traveling for leisure.

Macon, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

The Dream Hotel is extremely clean; no carpeting in the rooms, just a small rug so if allergies are your problem, stay here. The hotel rooms are really meant for romance with no knob on the bathroom doors, just a round opening and all opaque glass walls surround the bathroom. In other words, no privacy. The roof top bar is exclusive after 9:30pm at the discretion of the doorman even if a person is staying in the hotel. The lobby has a lovely sitting area and if motion above starts to catch your eye, no worries, it is just someone swimming in the pool above and the ceiling has round viewing windows. All kinds of action inhabits this hotel most of the time. The whole atmosphere and staff are a bit impressed with themselves but a fun place especially for the young.

Room Tip: You must pay a lot more money than the average price to get a big room that is represented on the we...
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

As someone living in NY for 6 years who knows the many neighborhoods in NY, I decided to book 5 nights at the Dream Hotel for my mom and sister who were coming into town for my graduation. We had not explored Chelsea and the Meat Packing District during the day and I figured the pool at the Dream would serve as an added benefit. I was a bit nervous about the "trendy and young clientele" making the stay unpleasant but it was quite the opposite.

The hotel was very spacious, lots of space to lounge in the lobby, by the pool, on the rooftop with great natural sunlight. The staff was wonderful! Vaughn (the Guest Services Manager) met us outside once our driver arrived at the hotel entrance and was extremely pleasant and welcoming. We were warned that our room 1108 may be a bit loud since it was located directly below the rooftop club PHD. However, we barely heard anything during our 5 nights. You really had to focus on the noise upstairs for it to bother you. We were greeted each day by all the staff that we encountered. The food at Marble Lane and Cherry (the hotel's restaurants) were delicious and I would recommend it even to someone not staying at the Dream Hotel.

My only complaint was the bathroom design was odd. There was no rack in the bathroom to hang towels when they got wet. Also the shower curtains were a bit smaller than the shower and the floor would constantly get soaked.

Overall it was a great experience. My mother loved it, my sister enjoyed it, and I was very pleased. Highly recommend the Dream Hotel for guests of all ages!

NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Each time I have stayed at the Dream, I have always enjoyed my stay, the Hotel is immaculate & very hip, trendy, with the rooms being quite impressive and different from the traditional hotel. The staff know how to take care of their customers, especially Jennifer Zelouf. She has outstanding client service skills and I suspect she makes all of the Hotel's guests feel special, as that is how I feel whenever she handles my reservations.

By the way, the Dream has a couple of top of the line restaurants, Cherry being the most recent, and it has several great night clubs with one being at the roof top with nice views of the NYC skyline.

Room Tip: Contact Jennifer.Zelouf
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Dream Meatpacking District? Share your experiences!