“Noisy” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Dream Downtown

Save Saved
You added Dream Downtown to your Saves list
Dream Downtown
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   355 West 16th Street, New York City, NY 10011 (Chelsea)   |
Ranked #88 of 456 Hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“Noisy”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Positives: Great location in trendy meatpacking district, glam hotel, cool rooms.

Negatives: (1) Room on the 11th floor was right below the club and I felt like I was in the club. I can't believe they think it's ok to sell rooms for $400-500 a night with this kind of noise. (2) They didn't clean my room one day for no apparent reason. When I told the front desk, they sent someone up hours later who did a quick job of it. (3) I grabbed a drink at the lobby bar and sat down on a lobby sofa but was kicked out because the seat was "reserved". If I stay at the hotel and buy a drink at the bar it seems ridiculous that I can't sit in the lobby to drink it.

Room Tip: Not on the 11th floor - it's crazy loud!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Axel F, Assistant General Manager at Dream Downtown, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are very sorry that your room on the 11th Floor did not provide the peace and quiet your rightly expected, especially since you seemed to enjoy so any aspects of your stay.

We will always address noise concerns by offering alternative rooms and I invite you to reach out to me personally so I can address your concerns. Generally we provide housekeeping service twice a day, provided the electronic Do Not Disturb light was not accidentally left on. I will look into this as soon as I have more information. As for our Lobby - while there is some general seating in the lobby, most belongs to our Marble Lounge and seats may be reserved for both hotel guests and patrons, especially late nights. Our hosts will happily look for alternatives.

Again - I am very sorry that your stay was not fully enjoyable. Hopefully I will hear from you.

With best regards

AXEL

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I travel for work a lot and it's never easy living out of a suitcase. But when I come to the dream, I actually feel like I'm home! The staff is always so helpful and nice from the second I step out of the cab from the airport, I'm getting help with my luggage, doors opened, and the overall feeling of a luxury hotel. Since I've been coming here for a while now, they quickly recognize me and make me feel like I'm back home. Personally, I love how lively the hotel is! It can be loud at times, but it's never affected my sleep or work or anything for that matter. With a club on the roof (with an amazing city view) and a club downstairs and next door... you are in for a fun time!!! I love the Dream and tell everyone to stay there! It's the perfect New York hotel! And did I mention the beds? The most comfortable beds EVER!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Westbury, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I recently stayed at the Dream Downtown this past week. The staff was friendly, and helpful and went out of their way to show me around the Hotel. The beds were so comfortable . What a gorgeous view from the rooftop, and the night life was great. Cannot wait to return.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I love this place. The renovated Dream Downtown, formerly the Maritime Hotel, is just terrific. Nestled between Chelsea and the Meatpacking District, this hip, beautiful, well-designed hotel is a true delight. The beds are the most comfortable I've ever slept in. The design motif is pleasing and the amenities are great. This is a wonderful hotel. I can't wait to stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

This is my 3rd time at DreamDowntown...and franky, I did returned to this hotel only because I've been given one night free, plus room upgrade during my previous stay...
On that particular time (July 2012) I complained quite lot about the room position, I expressly requested a quiet silent room...instead they put us right under the roof-top lounge bar which is daily playing disco music amost thruough the night!! So be careful when booking your room! this is a very modern and trendy location in Meat-Packing-District; very popular among party-timers! The south tower is the right choice for a quiter staying.
On the other hand, the DreamDownTown is a joy for your eys! There are modern furnitures and innovative designed structures such is the outdoor swimming-pool with transparent floor, right above the lobby area; how about the roof-top lounge bar? it might be keep you awake during the night, but drinks and skycrapes view are excellent! (don't miss the guacamole's appetizer!)

Room Tip: Book rooms at the south tower for quietness...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Axel F, Assitatnt General Manager at Dream Downtown, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Carlo C - now that you are return guest we trust that the 3-stars are the average of your stays - with not so great being the first one and much nicer being the second? We appreciate the good words you have for us - as long as the room is not near our PHD rooftop Lounge. While many guests do not mind the highest floors we will always arrange for a room move if need be, and avoid certain floors for long stay guests in the first place. Again thank you for your feedback! With best regards - AXEL
San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Located across the street from our Chelsea office, The Maritime is a convenient and frequent choice for our business trips to New York. On this trip, I was curious to try The Dream next door but, with several early morning meetings lined up, was nervous about its reputation as a club that happens to have a rooms for rent. Heeding reviewers' advice, I requested an interior room on the sixth floor, halfway between the club noise of the lobby and the rooftop. Other than a few neighbors clomping down the hall, I had no issues with noise and slept well with the blackout curtains.

My King Bronze room was stylish, small, but adequately-sized for one person. The layout of the room -- notably a tiny desk and a closet with the same volume as the minibar -- emphasized that this is a hotel optimized for leisure, not business. While the sight of the lobby transitioned to DJ mode would have appealed to me had I been on vacation, after a long day of meetings, walking through the glam crowd in my business-wear and backpack was not very relaxing. Leisure travelers, The Dream is a hip choice in a great location. But despite The Dream's sleekness and its membership in the Wyndham network, for business travel, The Maritime is more my style.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The staff is friendly and helpful. The restaurant, Marble Lane-- very good. The decor, an extravaganza of circular motifs carried throughout, beautiful. Large bar in the lobby plays good music and sets the stage for nightlife. We heeded prior reviews about the noise level in the bar intruding in the bedrooms and stayed on the 6th floor. Our room was large enough and well-furnished in a chic contemporary style. A nice size gym with weights, yoga balls, ellipticals, bikes, and treadmills. Free WIFI, which is always a nice gesture. This hotel is for hipsters who love the downtown scene in the city that never sleeps!

Now for our gripes:

1). The shower was a nightmare. The contractor or design team screwed up the detailing so that the edge of the tub fills while showering and spills ALL over the floor, leaving you with a sopping wet floor and bathmat (eew). We requested extra bath mats and towels everyday from housekeeping to help absorb it all. Ridiculous that this hasn't been remedied. We hope for your sake that the other rooms don't have this design defect.

2). The beds are comfortable and furnished with white linens. Our duvet slipped off and revealed a blood-stained comforter underneath-- we women know what this means! While they tried to hide it with the duvet cover, it is unacceptable to keep any stained linens. To offer them in such condition to guests is a turn-off, to say the least.

• Stayed January 2013

Been to Dream Downtown? Share your experiences!