“Cool, but disappointing” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Dream Downtown

Save Saved
You added Dream Downtown to your Saves list
Dream Downtown
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   355 West 16th Street, New York City, NY 10011 (Chelsea)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 10%
Ranked #118 of 451 hotels in New York City
“Cool, but disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

A lot of potential, but so much to work on. Nice beds, get the whole cool glam thing, and that's why I stayed there, but there are some issues. Biggest thing that pissed me off was I was up at the PHD lounge with a friend and the security guys had the nerve to push me out of one of the couches because I guess they had a "better" candidate to sit there and they said, "get up, get up, get up!" to us. You should never talk to someone like that, let alone a guest of the hotel! I gave them some grief, telling them i was a guest of the hotel, and one guy apologized, knowing the error of their ways, but that should never happen, the others didn't give a crap. The other stuff is minor, like my suitcase not fitting into the closet face down, the soap rack in the shower not having a back and the soap slipping out, and using a ladder instead of a towel rack so you have to grab the ladder when grabbing the towel so it doesn't fall over. Good location, good design, but horrible service and no common sense with the layout.

Stayed January 2013
Axel F, Assistant General Manager at Dream Downtown, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Shayle,

Clearly the security officer did not show the kind of courtesy and tact that we expect them to exercise when interacting with our guests and patrons. I am very sorry that you had your stay spoiled by this experience. Be assured that we have met with our security team to reiterate our service culture, which even when PHD transitions into club mode later at night, should always be upheld.

It is my hope that you would reach out to me directly should you return to NYC. We will appreciate an opportunity to redeem ourselves.

With best regards

AXEL

1,339 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
Princeton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I stayed at the Dream Downtown around the holidays, and found a beautifully decorated lobby with elegant lights, snow and even a huge white bear - all very welcoming, much like the staff, upon arrival. I was impressed with the décor from my entrance through to the room in which I stayed, which had a metallic grey color scheme complete with round windows for the street view, and an exterior to the bathroom wall with a white and grey cloudy, hazy overall feel. The bathroom itself had a sink made of reflective mirrors, which in conjunction with a toilet that reminded me of one you would find on an airplane alongside the shower curtains made of a metal sheet looking like a grater made for a very funky, but wildly fun vibe. The actual room size is what you would expect of a typical New York City hotel room, slightly smaller than one would like, but the ambiance, location, tasty food from the restaurant in the lobby and overall experience make up for it!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear TravelMango618 - Thank you for you shiny & metallic review! With several restaurants and lounges on site, large gym and an amazing outdoor pool there is indeed plenty to do besides chilling in your room. For guests in need of more personal space we offer 12 different room types, including suites and our very cool penthouses! Thanks again - AXEL
Stow, Massachusetts, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I just stayed at Dream Downtown this week and had a great stay there. First off the staff is wonderful. From the momement I arrived I was greeted with friendly people ready to help me with whatever my needs were. I arrived a little early and my room was not ready, they called me when it was ready- early BTW!. It was like this the entire stay... really great customer service. It is a great location, very convenient. The rooms were slightly small, but the beds were unbelievably comfortable. The hotel itself was clean and had a very cool vibe to it. We also ate at the restaurant which was delicious and again an awesome staff. I will definitely be coming back!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Booked this hotel for a BDay trip and my partners first visit to NYC. I would say the style of the hotel was great. We loved the look of everything. Had a 'Gold' Room with full NYC view which was also great and a decent amount of space for NYC. The location was perfect with Chelsea out the door to the left and MeatPacking out the door to the right. Definitely a hotel for couples and party people, NOT kids and families. The noise in the lobby on Saturday night with the DJ was way too much. Plus in our room we could here music into the late night, probably not from our hotel but from the places next door. Also whomever designed/ordered the bathroom sink choose form over function...and I dont think I have ever complained about an item in a room at any hotel. The hotel restaurant Marble Lane was fabulous for sure. All in all a good experience, but know what you are getting into.

Room Tip: Gold Room with NYC view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Stayed over the New Year period with a large group and loved this hotel. Really a hotel for the young and chic, but I enjoyed it none the less! I booked two rooms for 8 people in total which was a very tight squeeze; I expected it would be and as we were on a budget, we couldn't complain.
No view as such from our 'porthole', but there are other rooms with nicer views, just not sure which area?? The lobby and main area are really lovely, and when we arrived the Christmas decorations were still up so it looked a amazing. The pool can be seen from the lobby as there is a glass roof; nice touch; didn't go up there as it was too cold and they were preparing for a NYE party. The hotel is very busy, and we we stayed they had several NYE parties going at once which was full on. We didn't purchase tickets for any of the parties as we decided on eating out, plus we had 3 teens under 21 who couldn't access any venue. It was a crazy night, and when we got back from dinner, had to squeeze our way through the party goers to get to our rooms; plus it was so noisy all night long, that sleep was out of the question. All in all a great property and in a great area; would I stay again.probably not, but only because I like to try something different each trip.

Room Tip: ASk for a quiet area of hotel as there are many night clubs within the property
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Went the week before Christmas, brilliant hotel, location was good, excellent stay! Would recommend. Went the week before Christmas, brilliant hotel, location was good, excellent stay! Would recommend.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Kuwait City, Kuwait
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I stayed at the Dream with my father while we were in town for the Rolling Stones concert. The room was fabulous, concierge took care of our every need and the bartenders in the lobby bar were fantastic. Dad and I are trying to think up reasons why we need to get back to NY just so we can stay at the Dream. Would recommend this place to anyone!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Dream Downtown? Share your experiences!