“Firuza in reservations” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dream Downtown

Save Saved
You added Dream Downtown to your Saves list
Dream Downtown
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   355 West 16th Street, New York City, NY 10011 (Chelsea)   |
Ranked #113 of 452 hotels in New York City
Melbourne
“Firuza in reservations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

I have yet to stay at Dream, but after the exceptional service I have received so far from Firuza on the front desk, I look forward to our stay later this year. She has always been prompt and efficient in replying to my many emails, and extremely polite and professional. Well done Firuza

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

1,404 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
west orange, nj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

For New York City, this boutique hotel has extraordinarily large public space, but its stylish design and quite little nooks create a cozy feeling. Even the pool area feels comfortable, sandwiched between two tall towers or hotel rooms, but with eastern access for the sun to keep things warm.

The rooms themselves are larger than many specialty hotels, right down to the oversized walk-in showers and big round windows.

The staff is perfectly accessible, stylishly dressed and attentive in a way that one might expect from a high end resort hotel.

This is my new go-to NY hotel, hands down.

Room Tip: There are rooms that have access to the night life, rooms that have access to the pools and rooms fo...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

This hotel is amazing!!!!! Everyone in the hotel was awesome starting from the valet to the front desk, housekeeping, room service, etc... Mike, the mgr even made a point to ensure we were taken care of for the rest of our stay in Ny. They were very polite and extremely efficient. It felt like I was at a friend's house. This hotel is super cool ,trendy and hip. It feels like the building is literally alive with all the life running through it! There is a DJ who plays every night in the lobby, its like an eternal party....so much fun!!!! The location is perfect and you don't ever have to leave the hotel... Everything you want and need is right there! The pool area was awesome! The rooftop club PHD was Hot and sexy. Not to mention, the extremely comfy bed - best matress I've ever slept on in my life with the softest pillows you ever felt! This is THE place to stay in NYC. I will never stay anywhere else ever again!!!! I stay there every time I stay in NYC !!! Its the BEST KEPT SECRET!!!!

xoxoxo
DIRTY COUTURE

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

Fantastic hotel in a great part of town....high spec rooms, great little pool for chilling out, trendy rooftop bar with spectacular views, well equipped gym, helpful staff who can't do enough for you and a great location in easy reach of everywhere you need to be in NYC! Can't recommend Dream Downtown highly enough, it completely took the stress out of staying in a city centre....

Room Tip: We had a King room which although not huge, was more than big enough. A friend stayed in a standard...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

I stayed at this hotel over several days during NYE in Dec 2011 - Jan 2012 and really enjoyed my stay. The front desk staff were very friendly and the bellhop took extra time to go over everything in the room so we would know how to work everything.

The location was perfect! We were able to walk to many shops, restaurants, bars and the meatpacking district is also within walking distance. If you are going any further, there is a subway station just up the block and the doormen will also help you find a cab.

As some of the other reviews said, the place is pretty dark inside and feels like a club. It definitely made me want to dress and look nice while walking through the lobby so I wouldn't feel out of place. This hotel is more for people looking for a modern and trendy hotel and not for families with children (though I did see a few kids). I stayed in a regular room and it was small but that is too be expected in NYC so no complains there. The room was clean though so that is a huge plus to me. I get grossed out easily by hotels and want the room to feel clean enough for me to be comfortable staying. Also, the bathroom has a (peep)hole where the knob would normally be so you can see right into the bathroom. Just an FYI if you are staying with anyone else in the room.

I ate downstairs for a late lunch/early dinner and remember enjoying the food. I can't remember anything about room service, so to me that means the food/service wasn't bad but wasn't anything special that would cause me to remember it.

The view from the club upstairs (PH-D) is very nice! I would recommend going up early to have a drink/apps and check it out. The club itself is not owned by the hotel (similar to how Vegas clubs work) so entry after 9pm I think? is up to the bouncers, whether or not you are a hotel guest. I know some people would not be happy with that policy but I didn't mind. Yeah, it would be nice if you could get in just for being a hotel guest, but they don't own it so it is what it is.

The only that happened during my stay that could be negatives for other people (weren't a big deal to me): Since it was NYE, they had really loud music pumping for an extremely long time. I assumed it was just for that weekend but some of the other reviewers seem to mention club noise as well on other weekends. I am a heavy sleeper so once I fall asleep, I can sleep through noise like that. Another thing was one of my hall neighbors came back around 3-4am and started making a lot of noise outside her door (bf passed out inside/lost her key/can't remember). I didn't care so I didn't call downstairs or ask her to quiet down, but it could potentially be an issue for some people on weekends when drunk people come back.

I would definitely go back and stay at this hotel again. They also have an outdoor pool, so it would be a nice place to stay when it's warmer out.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

I love the meatpacking district in NY and have stayed in numerous hotels around the area. From the very best to the average. I chose the Dream when my first choice The Standard was full. I have liked the look of the sister hotel the Maritime for some time but fancied the Dream more when it came to booking.

You know what to expect when the doormen look like models. This is a hotel full of pretty people, both staff and guests. Not a bad thing, but I got the impression the better looking you were the better your service was. On a couple of occasions I observed some less than stellar service given to people who just looked like normal folk.

The room I paid for was one with a view of the Empire State. Nice view and the portholes aren't too small so light does get in, but it's not the lightest of rooms.

The bed was excellent. Very comfy. The bathroom was ok, shower very nice but a too hip for any use sink annoyed me. Brushing your teeth was not easy! Most of the stuff I spat out I had to clean up myself afterwards!!

Room service was ok. Expensive and based upon the expensive steak house in the hotel. My medium sirloin came to me like a piece of leather. Not what I expect for $80+ dollars.

These trendy hotels lack some of the simpler things I come to expect in hotels. Ice machines in the property or a coffee machine in the room. The fridge was the usual mini bar crammed full of expensive stuff that you end up eating and drinking when you are slightly drunk. Dangerous!

I barely got a smile out of anyone the entire time I was and for $400+ a night it's not a lot to ask for.

The property itself is really attractive, albeit on the very dim side lighting wise. A lot of thought has gone into it and some of the design of the hotel was breathtaking.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Axel F, Assistant General Manager at Dream Downtown, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Dear Philip,

Thank you for your Review. Dissapointing - “Zoolander” is not the association that we had hoped for. We were more thinking more along the lines of making our guests feel like they are on “The Bachelor” or “The Bachelorette” respectively.

Our staff appreciated your assumption of them being models, especially given that most of our Front Office and Bell staff are here for a hospitality career. Good looks is just an added bonus! The best look however, I agree, is a great smile (at any room rate). If we did not provide that, than there is nothing other to say than that I am sorry. Having a bad day is no excuse – we are here to make sure you are having a great time, all the time.

Regarding your Room Service concerns please know that I have addressed this with our F&B partners and also made an adjustment to your account.

Lastly we appreciate your praise for our breathtaking designs. Yes – it was a long road. But walking into the hotel every day, I still appreciate working in such an amazing environment.

Should you be back in NYC please contact me directly – we will make sure to welcome you back with a big smile.

Best regards

Axel Fischer - Assistant General Manager - Dream Downtown
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

This place is nice but perhaps a little too 'look at me look at me'. I felt at time it was a bit pretentious, the service in the restaurant and from the bell man while trying to get a cab for my friend were not exactly the best, again, i think a bit of attitude got in the way of doing a good job. That aside, the room was nice, the bed super comfy. You can open the windows for a little fresh air which is always a plus in my books. The round port hole style windows mean it isn't the lightest and brightest but judging by the decor and the clientele, the kind of people that would love it here are those who prefer the night time - not vampires, just party goers :)

No bath in the room. It has a pool and I always swim when possible but I felt a little awkward at the thought of going for a swim knowing that everyone in the foyer bar below could see me through the perspex roof/pool bottom. Unless you have the body of a goddess I think it would be a bit scary getting in.

Can i also add, being picky here, the bathroom sink is the most ridiculous piece of impractical design ever! don't drop anything in it cause you're likely to loose it under the sink. I don't want to spit toothpaste on a metal sheet, gross. silly.

Overall its fine. Location is great, footsteps from the subway and Meatpacking district. HighLine park only two blocks away. Room service is not cheap as it comes from the expensive steakhouse downstairs. If you have any dietary requirements, try to tell the waiter upfront as they didn't know the menu and being Gluten Free was difficult, I ended up ordering something I couldn't even eat - oh well, I paid for its good looks I guess.

I shouldn't be too harsh, we travel A LOT! I just was expecting more for the money. The view was pretty awesome but the round windows mean you can't ogle the view from bed, but still awesome, see the photo.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Axel F, Assistant General Manager at Dream Downtown, responded to this review, June 8, 2012
Dear Sarah,

Thank you for your review. I would agree that checking ones appearance definitely remains a recommendation! That said we are sorry that we did not meet your expectations.

Our doormen usually receive more praise than any other department - so I am rather unhappy that they left a poor impression. I will make sure that my team stays on their toes. Hailing cabs in NYC can be a challenge and our doormen tend to go out of their way and will run, if need be, to the nearby intersection to find a ride.

Having an enjoyable hotel stay has a lot to do with one’s personal preferences. It looks like staying at the hottest place in town is not for everyone. Case in point - our pool is hailed as one of the most innovative lobby/pool concepts anywhere and yet did not find your approval.

As for the missing bathtub - certain room types do actually have them. If our oversized rain showers are not for you, please reach out to me directly. We have noted your preference and would love to welcome you back.

Best regards - AXEL

Been to Dream Downtown? Share your experiences!