“Best NYC boutique hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dream Meatpacking District

You added Dream Meatpacking District to your Saves list
Dream Meatpacking District
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   355 West 16th Street, New York City, NY 10011 (Formerly Dream Downtown) (Chelsea)   |
Ranked #74 of 459 Hotels in New York City
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“Best NYC boutique hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

I go t o NYC on business trips every month but I am also a young and fun person.
This was the perfect atmosphere for me. It had great music for ambiance in the lobby along with comfortable places to sit and relax while connecting to my laptop.
Restaurant was fabulous and I must say everybody at the hotel including the staff was gorgeous.
Very modern and tastefuly decorated. Rooms were standard for NYC but nice and the best thing about the room is THE BED!!! the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in, no wonder they call it the "dream downtown hotel"

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

This hotel is perfect for young party lovers wanting to live it up in NYC. Traveling with my boyfriend (we are both mid-20s) we loved the lively atmosphere and cool, stylish decor. It feels like there is a DJ and beautiful people with cocktail in hand in every room and there is a good buzz about the place.

But it is not cheap! Drinks in the penthouse bar were pretty pricey (and we live in London!) and some of the people booked up there for a party during our stay (rich, pushy, American jocks) were just annoying. It's a shame the clientele didn't have as much class as the decor.

The beds were divine and from the 6th floor we didn't have any of the noise I'd read about in other reviews..we had a perfect nights sleep each night.

The concierge were super helpful as was the lovely doorman. The girl on the reception desk was kind of frosty though..seemed more interested in posing and pouting like a model.

The location is perfect too - easy access to all areas of New York on the subway (14th st) and the Meatpacking district on your doorstep.

Would I stay here if I was here solo on business? No. Would I recommend to my parents? No. I would however love to come back in the Summer with a group of girlfriends when the pool and beach are open later in the year. Carrie and the girls would be in there element.

Room Tip: the 6th floor is divine.. great view of the pool
Concord, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

Dream Downtown is in the perfect location, super clean - outstanding staff. Each staff member was friendly, professional and offered great insider tips - making our stay so much more enjoyable. The Decor is ultra modern, but rooms are well appointed, beds are really comfortable and even with the active nightlife, the room was quiet - no problem sleeping in. We can't wait to go back and explore the Chelsea neighborhood!

Boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

I just returned from a terrible stay at this hotel that I feel compelled to share with other fellow travellers. This hotel is NOT for everyone, and they don't seem to try to accommodate different travelers' needs. Pick this ONLY if you're ready to party all night, and enjoy staying in a trendy hotel for trendy sake! I'm a frequent business traveller and because I had a meeting nearby the area, I decided to give this a try. Upon check-in I was told by the front desk that hotel guests will be given "priority access" to the rooftop bar starting at 6:30pm. At the same time, I also realized that my room was on the 11th floor, only one floor below the roof. I quickly pointed out to her that I'm there for business and won't be going to the bar, and I also wonder if there will be any noise issue at night. She assured me that they've done a lot of work to eliminate any potential noise issues and that I won't be affected at all. I trusted her and moved on since I figured that this is 4-star hotel afterall, so I quickly finished checking in and rushed off to a meeting. When I came back from a long day of business meetings at 11pm and tried to go to sleep, the noise was simply unbearable. I called down to the front desk twice, the second time being transferred to the night time manager (mind you, this is now almost 2am and I still couldn't get to sleep), only to be informed that they are fully booked and no other room is available to move me, and that he encouraged me to use the white noise machine in the room or they can send up ear-plugs! The problem is the music was so loud, the constant rhythm from the bass was practially shaking the room, and I was also convinced that some ladies upstairs with some serious heels were also dancing and stomping right above me. The fact that a 4-star hotel wouldn't try to tailor their room assignments to different travellers, and that the next day when I checked out, the front desk didn't even bother ask me how my stay was (a standard question even at a Comfort Inn!) was estounding. The night time manager whom I complained to also didn't offer any compensation or complimentary breakfast or any gesture in apologies was also another sign that they simply don't care, or are not trained enough to be in the upscale hospitality business. It was simply one of the most terrible hotel experience I've had in a long time!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
dreamdowntown, Manager at Dream Meatpacking District, responded to this review, April 3, 2012
Dear Welshgirl1984,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay. I can't apologize enough for not providing you a restful night which is any hotel's primary purpose. It’s simply unacceptable that we missed the opportunity to apologize, move you any of the many quiet parts of the hotel and avoid this entire scenario. I can assure you that I will personally look into why we failed you.

The noise complaints from the 11th floor are well documented and do not go unnoticed by our team. In fact, it’s our number-one challenge and perhaps the reason we're not doing better on Trip Advisor.

So... What are we doing about it? To begin with, we've installed sound meters at the lounge above the 11th floor which prevent DJs from exceeding acceptable sound levels. We have employed an acoustical engineer to make recommendations and offer us some solutions to this challenge. We've started the long process of implementing those suggestions. In the meantime, all of the rooms on 11th floor have been outfitted with a sound therapy machine which have been extremely effective at addressing this concerning complaint. I encourage you to please reach out to me so we can discuss this further.

Warm regards,
Michael Lindenbaum
Managing Director
Tallahassee, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

I picked this hotel because it was a very modern looking from the photos online. The price was reasonable for the city. We had never stayed in Chelsea area before. I had read beforehand that the lobby was very noisy at night. The lobby at night was filled with 20 to 30 year olds who were busy socializing which did not bother me or my husband since we had a 8th floor room. What did bother me is that I felt out of place being AARP aged person... I actually booked the hotel through AARP. There is a Dream hotel midtown which I didn't realized that would have been closer to the art museums.
The service was great from the door man to the people that helped with restaurants and finding a Fedex office that was close to a deli. So the staff was plentiful and very helpful! Beds were extremely soft. The floor staff freshen up the room twice a day! We had a terrific room that we could see midtown perfectly.
I just wished I was young again. Can't do that.

Room Tip: Get a room that face north for a terrific view of midtown like the Empire State Building.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

Dream Downtown is cool, clean, trendy, and comfortable. My Deluxe King was spacious by NYC standards, the view of the Empire State Building was gorgeous, and the bed made me never want to get up. The room offered easy connection of my iPhone (or any device) to pipe my music through the in-room speaker system. Rooftop bar, complete with the mandatory $20 cocktails. Great location in Meatpacking, short walk to Chelsea Market and transportation, pretty easy cabs going uptown or down.

Perhaps the best part is that Dream has not fallen into the NYC trap of thinking an aloof and disconnected staff is an integral part of a "trendy" feel (I'm looking at you, Empire). Their staff was attentive without being suffocating, friendly, engaging, and enjoyable. I highly recommend the Dream Downtown, for all types of trips. P.S. - I've stayed at the other Dream too . . . let's just say to stick with the Dream Downtown.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a room with a view of the Empire State building. Seeing it at night while laying in your...
newyork
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

Living in Manhattan, I searched for a venue for my daughters BRIDAL SHOWER .I wanted it to be different ,"cool" and warm.After much research, I discovered "DREAM Downtown".The GM Michael met with me, he was this really confident but not pompous in a "hotel GM" way guy who took control ,showed me the hotel space,described the choices that could be had on my daughter's big day and still work within my budget. I was then introduced to Caitlin,the party coordinator,she too had great suggestions, different floor settings to transform a nightclub atmosphere to a day brunch. "VERY COOL". The party was in the PH D..overlooks the city downtown, has a garden fresh look on the perimeters. The room was perfect. I had 85 ppl could have held much more..But again, the set up was key to make a warm atmosphere.On the day of my event I was introduced to the coordinator Donna , she was right on it.Not a worry.She introduced me to Manny the chef. I MUST say, THE FOOD WAS AMAZING!.Practically everyone of my guest has written to me sharing there joy for my daughter and mentioned the food, the venue and the perfect setting. It was not to be corny ..a DREAM come true.

Room Tip: I can't imagine a bad one!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Dream Meatpacking District? Share your experiences!