“Too much style and very little substance...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Dream Meatpacking District

You added Dream Meatpacking District to your Saves list
Dream Meatpacking District
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   355 West 16th Street, New York City, NY 10011 (Formerly Dream Downtown) (Chelsea)   |
Ranked #73 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Toronto, Canada
“Too much style and very little substance...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

I was really looking forward to staying at this property because we have had the pleasure of staying at Night and Dream without any indicent. First off, we checked in to our room and moments later another guest was mistakenly assigned to our room. It was a good thing that we were not in any compromising positions and had to call down to straighten this out. The cordless phone, though esthetically beautiful, lost it's signal as soon as you stepped 3 feets away from it. Nothing more than a verbal apology was given for this inexcusable incident.

Yes the rooms were beautiful, but not very functional -- where do I start? They were teeny tiny with no storage -- the minibar closet was bigger than the coat closet (way to allocate your priorities!). The bathroom, though it was sleek and sexy was not very function... no place to hang your towel, the sink and faucet were TERRIBLE in their design (you can properly fash your face since the spout of the faucet was behind the tap handle. The Etro bath products barely made up of this.

Oh yes, the light system is ridiculous -- it seems that the pendant light fixture in the center of the room is connected to the same grid as the bedside lamps and you could not turn the bedside lamps on their own without turning on the pendant.

From a service level, it was medeocre at best -- I tried to call down to the conceirge to make a restaurant reservation and was put on hold for about 15 minutes. I finally decided to go down to the lobby and make this reservation in person and the concierge had no clue that I was on hold for so long. We asked if she had any pull in getting us in and she arrogantly told us, "Consider it done... I know the owner of the restaurant and you could just show up." I was weary and didn't trust her, so i had asked that she call and confirm. About and hour later, when I didn't recieve any messages, I decided to phone down and follow up on this reservation. She told me that she needed another 15 minuyes (I presumed that she didn't even try until I called to follow-up). Moments later, she disappointed us in not being able to get our reservation time, but instead said that the restaurant would only be able to accommodate us at 10:30 PM.

And we couldn't even get to the rooftop without lining up with the rest of the non-guests to get a wristband to go up that evening. So if you really want to know how the roof way, I couldn't even tell you since I didn't want to line up.

And did I mention that we were here on business for about $500+/night?

I like to think that my reviews on Tripadvisor are good and reasonable, but I cannot recommend this hotel. It's a shame for Dream Downtown because our team of 20-30 people travels to NYC 5 times a year and we could have been a great repeat guest.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

We started off on a bad foot, arriving about 10 PM after a long day of travel. It was a nightmare trying to get through the lineup of people waiting to get into the club and then to get your luggage across a packed lobby that seems to double as a club. The check in desk clerk was helpful and polite, but it so was so loud I couldn't hear what she was saying. There was only one light at the desk, well away from the clerk so I had to walk my paperwork 10 feet away so I could see what I was signing. (I must be getting old when I am bothered by bad lighting and loud music.) The lobby is really interesting from a design perspective. The ceiling is the bottom of the pool so you can look up and see people swimming above you. There has been a lot of money spent on design and it is very creative. Looks like they cut costs on the painters though. Sadly, the beautiful floors were ruined by paint drippings from painting of the baseboards. Trouble is no one has really thought through what guests need. Our room was missing rubbish bins - and although I asked for one, it never arrived so I had to leave litter strewn around the room. The room came with the usual request to consider the environment by reusing your linens and towels - but also came with a sink that you could not hold water in as there was no way to plug the drain. When shaving, instead of using a couple of cups of water, much more was wasted when I had to keep turning the tap on and off. Bed was very comfortable and room had a nice sound system. I would avoid this hotel at the end of a long day of travel - but might stay again if I had a couple of days to play around and relax.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

i was in town for fashion week and had to book a last minute hotel. i am actually in the hospitality business and wanted to see what this place was all about.... i was impressed from the minute i got out of the cab. the door man was very polite as he carried my one bag all the way to the check-in counter.. i have yet to stop talking about my stay...

new york
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

Check-in was unbearably slow. It took over 20 minutes to checkin, and we were only third in line.

Front desk staff was very unfriendly.

Toilette wasn't clean when we checked-in to our room. It was really disgusting.

Sink in bathroom was completely impractical. The faucet hung so low over the basin that you can't get your hands under it.

Room was very small.

Walls are extremely thin. We could hear everything happening outside, including the music from the rooftop bar.

Then, there was the rooftop party. Although we were guests in the hotel, the staff wanted us to wait outside in the line to get the necessary stamp to go to the roof. The staff is just really unfriendly and unprofessional.

The only staff that was friendly were the bellhops.

Don't waste your time and money at this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor to get some, but not much, sun. Actually, just don't stay at this hotel...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
dreamdowntown, Managing Director at Dream Meatpacking District, responded to this review, March 7, 2012
Dear GGGGGGG,

I was disappointed to read your review. Our front desk staff is usually exemplary, as you can read from other Trip Advisor reviews. Every faucet in every sink has been replaced with the correct size faucet that is longer and more utilitarian. I’m sorry we missed yours. With regards to our room size, we have almost 10 room types and by NYC standards even our smallest rooms are larger than most of our competitors. I’d love to have you experience a stay in a Gold King or Platinum King room which measures nearly 500 square feet and have postcard views of the New York City skyline, including the Empire State Building. Please feel free to give me a call so we can discuss arrangements for your future stay.

Warm regards,
Michael Lindenbaum
Managing Director
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

Although I live in New York, I selected this hotel to celebrate my visiting daughter's birthday. The hotel more than met my expectations. Unexpectedly, we arrived to a red carpet, laid out for a fashion week event. Although the hotel was quite busy, we were personally greeted by Vaughn Davis, bell captain, who arranged the valet and saw to our baggage, which was extensive as we had a 4 month old baby and all his gear. The accomodations were luxurious and the housekeeping service and room service were excellent. The in house restaurants were great and my daughter and a friend enjoyed the rooftop nightclub. I would highly recommend this hotel for service and STYLE.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
LAGOS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

Really good stay. Will definitely be returning. Having lived in Midtown Manhattan for a year, when I was coming back for a holiday I wanted to try downtown and this hotel was ideal.

Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

What a fun hotel with the most helpful and friendly staff. We are older and appreciated everyone from the doorman to the concierge -- no "attitude" here! The rooms are smallish, but stylish; and, the bathroom lighting was superb. You can't beat the view from the 12th floor, and we plan to return for cocktails and excellent guacamole. We have stayed at other hotels in the area and this is our favorite.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Dream Meatpacking District? Share your experiences!