My husband and I, along with my sister and her husband, stayed for 4 days in early October. We had the studio suite which is on the second floor, and my sister and her husband had the one bedroom suite on the third floor. The instructions on reaching the building were spot on. It was very easy to instruct our taxi driver. The staff that greeted us and briefed us were very nice and quite helpful. The check in process was quick and smooth.
There were a number of great handouts in our room directing us to grocery stores, restaurants, sights, and special events in October. You receive a keypad code for your door of your unit as well as for the front door. This makes it very easy to come and go. We took a picture of it with our phones to keep it close at hand.
The studio unit was good for a couple. It was a large hotel room by NYC standards, and the ceilings were quite tall giving it an airy feel. The kitchenette was well equipped with coffee and tea, fridge, microwave, and all necessarily dishes/utensils for us to do basic breakfasts. You could definitely make more meals if needed. The king size bed was surprisingly comfortable, the linens were good quality, and my request for additional pillows was immediately met. The shower in the studio unit is very tiny. That is really my only complaint about the unit. It came with towels, iron/ironing board, hairdryer. Other reviews mentioned this - there isn't a window in this unit but it wasn't a huge deal to us. The air conditioner is for your unit only so you can control with a remote. The room also had satellite TV and Roku (netflix) on demand. Being on the second floor, there was perhaps a bit more noise from the stairs for folks coming to the second and third floors, but they provided earplugs in the room so that worked fine. There is ongoing construction next door that we began hearing around 8am, so it wasn't a big deal.
The one bedroom unit was very nice and large by NYC standards. We spent time hanging out there all four of us since there was a futon and two beanbag chairs, with a separate bedroom. The table and kitchenette was equipped the same way, also with tv/satellite/roku. The bathroom was larger, with a tub/shower unit which would probably be a little better for space. There was a separate closet also. It worked out well for the four of us to enjoy some wine and beer in the evening before going to dinner in the living room. For two couples, having both units was perfect. The ceilings in the third floor unit were lower than our studio.
I think the best feature of this place is that it gives you the feeling you are living in your own NYC apartment and the location is AMAZING. It is good for independent travelers who don't need a concierge or front desk to ask lots of questions. We loved the location just north of the village, near Union Square. It seemed like it was just a short hop to everywhere we wanted to go. The subway station is 2 blocks away, as are Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and the only Trader Joe's wine shop in Manhattan. We stocked up on basics the first day for breakfast, snacks, and beer/wine as that is so expensive in NY. There is an excellent coffee shop (Joe's) just around the corner on 13th street, as well as cheaper college type places to pick up some take out when you just can't fathom going out to dinner after a long day of sightseeing. Being near New School and NYU meant there were people out all the time and we felt very safe.
You can walk to Greenwich Village easily, quickly grab a taxi right outside on 5th Ave, or hop the subway. We even took the L line to Brooklyn for a short visit to Brooklyn Winery. Easy. We were everywhere from central park to battery park and the longest we were ever on the subway was 15 minutes with transfers.
I would definitely stay at this place again. It makes such a difference to have your own space, instead of a tiny hotel room!
- Also Known As:
- The Contempo Design Hotel New York City
- The Contempo Design Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are designers that restored bits and pieces, decorated and furnished most of this typical turn-of-the-century Village building now we call home. Our aim was to create a tranquil yet ultimately hip urban hideaway that fuses comfort with originality. The design ideas were inspired by the unique urban architectural style of the surrounding neighborhoods where classic and modern mix in a fantastic diversity. Located at the northwestern end of Greenwich Village and in the very heart of Manhattan, this is an awesome spot to live at as well as a perfect base for sightseeing. A few steps from Union Square, historic Washington Square Park, four major subway lines; within walking distance to Midtown, the Meatpacking and Soho - this location simply cannot be beat! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline and HostelWorld so you can book your The Contempo Design Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.