“Not impressed at all” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #270 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Westwood Los Angeles County, California
“Not impressed at all”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

The first time I heard of Hôtel Americano was when I received an email from tablethotels.com several months ago in 2012. They were featured in a French-themed issue. I always pay attention to what TabletsHotels says, although I can't stay with every hotel they recommends, I try to go as many as I can. In a recent trip to the Big Apple, I made a last-minute change to the original plan and decided to stay two more days. I knew HotelTonight would come handy. When I opened the app and saw Hôtel Americano was available for booking, I made a reservation and decided to go with them.

When we arrived at the hotel around 10pm, there was only one lady at the front desk. Later I found out they probably never needed more since only limited number of rooms are available.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Megi D, Marketing & Communications at Hotel Americano, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Hi Cheng,

Thank you for reviewing Hôtel Americano. We take feedback very seriously, and always try to better ourselves. Although, I am not sure what was exactly wrong with your stay. We always have one front desk person and one bellman at night. It is a boutique hotel, with only 56 rooms and our staff is more then prepared to handle it.

Thank you for your review and we do hope you come and stay with us again in the future.

Best,
Hôtel Americano

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

Just spent 10 nights at this hotel for my honeymoon, I was a abit scepticle about staying in Chelsea as I was traveling from Australia and had not travelled to New York before, I wasn't sure if it was to far away from it all. When we arrived this wasn't the case we received excellent service from the Swiss guy in reception and he showed us how to get around New York and where all the good things in the neighbourhood were, and then we realized that Chelsea is probably one the best neighborhoods in New York and would not have wanted to stay anywhere else.

Our room was awsome very urban and modern, because we were in New York for 10 days it felt like our own little studio apartment with an awsome view of city skyline and the highline. The price was very good and I read on some others reviews that the rooms were small and had no space, I didn't think so and they do have a wardrobe, coat hangers and draws to store your clothes. Also Aesop products and an iPad with free wifi can't beat that. Overall room was very cool in design. Love the electric blinds

Food in the hotel was so nice, the breakfast downstairs was the best and we ate their every day, both the restraunts were very nice and one of our most memorable moments of new York was having dinner on the rooftop at the hotel we had a candlelit dinner with a big city view of the empire state building.

Overall this hotel was right up our alley. Definetely recommend staying here.

Regards Peter

• Stayed April 2013
Megi D, Marketing & Communications at Hotel Americano, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Hi Peter,

Thank you for your lovely review. We are so happy that you chose us for your first stay in New York, and delighted to hear you truly enjoyed your stay and trip. We would love to have you stay with us again, if you do make it out to New York soon. Please email me directly and I would love to set up your reservation personally. MDoci@hotel-americano.com

Thank you once again for your review!

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

The staff are wonderful and the hotel is beautiful but the double room we booked whilst lovely to look at was very cramped for two people trying to get ready. Not great trying to clamber out of bed either.

It was still worth the visit and they definitely have the best toiletries!! The bar snacks are great too!

Had a wonderful time.

Room Tip: Try for a larger room than a double as it's a bit cramped.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Megi D, Marketing & Communications at Hotel Americano, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Hi,

First we'd like to say Happy belated Birthday! We are happy you chose us for your birthday trip, and happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. If you plan on coming to New York again in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me directly. I would love to set up your reservation, mdoci@hotel-americano.com

Thank you once again for you review.

Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

This is a very cool and hip hotel, but despite the visual appeal the comfort level is low. Being at the Americano is like sleeping in a bento box. If you order room service this is also all they have to offer. The beds are mattresses on raised wooden platforms and one has to crawl in and out of them-- it helps to be limber to do this-- I wouldn't want my mother to stay there. The raised platform also means that if you go to the bathroom in the middle of the night you need to be careful not to ram into it on your way back as I did. Ouch. The space for work is basically non existent so don't pick this hotel for a business trip. On the plus side, the staff is very friendly and the room I stayed in was impeccably clean.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Megi D, Marketing & Communications at Hotel Americano, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Hello! Thank you for taking the time to review Hotel Americano. I am sorry you didn't find the rooms to be to your liking. They have been designed to suggest an urban Japanese ryokan with wooden platform, as we have displayed in our photos. As far as room service, there are 12 different items that can be chosen from the menu, they do come in a bento box so it ties in with the feel of the room.

We hope to see you again soon.

Detroit, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel americano for about 5 days in mach 2013. The hotel is very modern and had a posh atmosphere. There were daily parties on the roof and the basement and I was on the top floor and could hear nothing but base until after 1AM. The restaurants were very good, the food was good, but it was falsely advertised that there is 24 hour room service, there is not. The room was very small and there was hardly a desk. When the base wasn't invading the room the construction and unbearable noise from across the street was nearly intolerable. I had to check out because my neck and back were so sore after sleeping in the hard, awful mattress that I was beginning to have muscle spasms. The beds were by far the worst part. The sinks were very pretty but difficult to wash my face in. There was no bathroom counter to put my toiletries and makeup onto. I had booked a 2 week stay and only stayed the 5 days, I actually got giddy when they told me i could shorten my reservation.

The good thing about the hotel is the young, savvy staff. They were willing and able to please. They handled all of my requests and brought requested items up to my room immediately. They also let me check out early which was nice. Also a very good location, and a lot of entertainment going on daily in the lobby bars.

Room Tip: Try a hotel with beds that won't give you back problems.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Megi D, Marketing & Communications at Hotel Americano, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Hi Katrina,

I am sorry to see that you were displeased by your stay with us. Noise can trickle down to certain rooms, but we do have very quiet rooms in the hotel, that we would have been happy to move you to. We do wish you had stayed for the remainder of your trip, but we hope you return to Hotel Americano and let us change your mind. As far as our beds, we have found that our beds are often extremely soft for our guests, so I a bit confused you thought it was stiff. However, I am happy that you found our staff helpful and attentive.

Thank you once again for your review.

Best,
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I will certainly never stay at the Americano again. Yes, the hotel is funky and the location excellent. But as I am writing, instead of getting much needed sleep before a business meeting tomorrow, I am kept awake by really loud music coming from the hotel rooftop bar. It´s past midnight, and at reception they tell me that, unfortunately, there is an event in the hotel rooftop and that music will continue playing at least for a good couiple of hours. Not the kind of thing you would expect from an expensive hotel which prides itself of looking well after its guests. In addtion, beds are indeed uncomfortable and the bedroom minimnalist decor looks good but does not really suit the traveller´s needs. This is a farewell from me to the Americano.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Hi Mariah,

Thank you for taking the time to review Hotel Americano. I would like to apologize that you did not enjoy your stay with us due to noise. We do have rooms in the hotel that are quite, and would have been a better fit for you. We try and keep noise at a minimum, even at private events and will continue to look out for that in the future.

Thank you once again for your review.

Hotel AMericano
Ghent, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Fun, smart, excentric, fresh ... expensive as The Big Apple is ... we did enjoy and would book again !
Excellent location, just near the "Train" for an evenening walk or shapping !
Perfect to group when you are a small group as the Hotel is Hip and In !
See you soon !

Room Tip: Riooms with city view !!!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Will J, Marketing & Communications at Hotel Americano, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Hi Paul,

We are so happy to see that you enjoyed your time at Hotel Americano. As you know by now, New York is an expensive city, but we like to believe that here you pay for what you receive. Our standards are high when it comes to service, food, comfort and of course entertainment, and are glad to know you were satisfied in all areas. We appreciate you taking the time to review us.

Marketing & Communications

Been to Hotel Americano? Share your experiences!