“Good potential but needs improving” 3 of 5 stars

You added Hotel Americano to your Saves list
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   518 W 27th St, New York City, NY 10001 (Chelsea)   |
Ranked #259 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Caracas, Venezuela
“Good potential but needs improving”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

The design and ambience is beautiful and great. But key basic services need more attention and detail for a hotel of this category. The A/C didn't work well for the 1st 2 days until it was fixed. Fitted sheets on the bed are too small so they come out every night, not allowing for a good rest. Maids can knock at your door several times in the morning or early night disrupting your privacy and you can hear hotel noise as well. Other than that location is chic with bars anb restaurants within walking distance, the hotel restaurant is good, and the bar on the pool has great ambience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Will J, Marketing & Communications at Hotel Americano, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Thank you for your review of Hotel Americano. We appreciate it and will take in everything you have said to better our service in the future. We are sorry that your experience was not as we hoped and would love for you to stay with us again. We are a new hotel and are constantly learning and bettering ourselves.

Hotel Americano

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
buenos aires
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I was astonished to see the hotel had some bad reviews, so before writing mine I carefully read them... And it´s true, our room was tiny (but then I don´t expect to spend much time in it when I´m in NYC), it had fantastic and very open views and I loved the modern and stylish look. The bed is a platform bed so if high beds is what you are used to, or you have difficulties getting up from low furniture, this is NOT the place to come to. The bathroom is small ... but does one need much more than that: unless you want to wash your hair in the sink why would one want a larger one? Don´t know, this is a diverse universe and luckily NY offers all kind of different options to different people.
We stayed four nights (in july) and I personally absolutely recommend this place: the design is stylish, location is just perfect (right next to the highline and the Chelsea Market), the staff was really nice (perhaps a bit slow to react) , the place has an great vibe, the terrace is ... how can I put it? amazing, breathtaking. To float in the swimming pool looking at the Empire State was an experience in itself.
It´s modern, stylish and hip ... with a latino flavour. And that is something that I just loved!.

We travel a lot, stay in tons of hotels in different part of the world, and I know for sure I have found my place in NY. Whenever I´m coming back, I´ll stay at the Americano.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Will J, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Americano, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of Hotel Americano, we truly appreciate it. We are so happy to hear that you loved the hotel, and the staff. Please let us know if you are visiting New York again, as we would love for you to stay with us again. You are welcome to contact me directly and I would be happy to set up your reservation mdoci@hotel-americano.com

HÔTEL AMERICANO
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

This review would have had a much better rating were it not for an issue of transparency which has jaded not just this hotel but others which my wife and I have visited over the years (The Landmark in London for example - or a hotel which does not deserve to have anything other than a one-star rating).
We booked the Americano as a couple taking their honeymoon - albeit 11 months after first getting married; my wife being editor of a Swedish design and architecture magazine and me also working in the same field and, thus, bound by deadlines most of the year.
So this whole trip was a pretty big thing. For one thing, we're journalists and get paid a pittance so money spent on accomodation was done after weeks of research, letter writing (The Jane was very good at responding to enquiries with a real passion, positive attitude and attention to detail - we'll move to that 'attitude' factor later).
Secondly, we pay attention to the 'design' tag.
Our check in was swift and welcoming, with Chris being a bit of a charmer. He even paid a bit of attention to a request for a table to be booked at a restaurant - which never arised, so potential questions over the talents of the concierge abilitys of Americano. The room (an uptown queen) was good and well designed although having the assault the elevator with a key fob/sex toy was probably a bit overkill. Our shower had a leak in the framework but it was good to see the hotel had responded to rumours of being noisey in the hallways by adding carpet to the floors. A shame as we like a bit of exposed concrete.
The positioning of the lighting was good in the bathroom, which always gets my goat - not being able to have a decent shave through badly thought-out lighting happens too much in hotels today. That said, the sink is tiny and needs a plug.
The hotel's application was a great touch too.
Bar wise, the downstairs bar was welcoming enough as was the rooftop, which does need some better way of being 'closed' if it's raining. Simply not having anyone there is a bit tacky and the impact of heading all the way up in the lift only to be greeted by soggy, covered furniture is a bit of a let down.
The area too is fine, plenty to do, a bit of walk to the tube but that's fine.
Some have said it's great to have a coffee bar available in the morning but the hotel would probably be better off getting around the changing the pricing on the wall. To be told in a flip manner by a member of staff that something is a "Different price" because "The prices on the wall are, like, from when the hotel opened, like hahaaa, so old..." is a bit daft. You seem to make a bit of money from the interest earned on the incidentals deposit so perhaps invest in a few vinyl decals. You "So don't want to be, like, 2011!" do you?
So far so mixture of good and bad. So let's get to the bad.
Incidentals. If I am told that a rate is a rate then that's the price it should be. I'm happy to give a deposit if I am told about it in advance. I'll even hand over a card to cover something unforseen and happy for the details to be kept after the stay for a few days. But to check an account and find that 100 dollars a night has been taken from my card without my permission and without good notice is a disgrace. Then to be told that the money has not been put on reserve but actually removed is far worse.
The poor lass in reception was in no position to respond in any way close to being considered 'adequate'. In my wife's eyes, this issue jaded her experience of the Americano so we'll probably not return as a result. Which, incidentally, is a shame.

Room Tip: They're small but well formed. Just don't expect to wash your face.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Will J, Marketing & Communications at Hotel Americano, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Thank you Richard for your review. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us, as we hoped you would. These issues you have mentioned will not go on deaf ears. We appreciate you pointing them out and will look into all these issues as a matter of urgency. We hope you do give us another try and look forward to hopefully welcoming you again in the future. Thank you.

HÔTEL AMERICANO
Geneva, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

my experience:
I came in at 14h30. No room available before 15h00 (as if all rooms are cleansed at the same time). I had to undress in dirty restrooms, the staff was very arrogant.
The rooms are small, poorly furnished in comparison with the lobby. The rooms/doors and walls are not sufficiently isolated and you participate at your neighbors phone calls if it's not he wakes you up!
the lights are economical, a good idea but not when it takes 20 minutes to have light in a bathroom... showering in the dark is not my favorite activity. Anyway the bathroom is unusable!
all in all the worst experience in a NYC "cool hotel" I had and I was in most of them.
In a nutshell: don't go you'll regret the money that it's simply not worth it!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Will J, Manager at Hotel Americano, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
We are sorry to hear your experience with us was not up to your standards. We welcome all feedback as it helps us get better and we will certainly look into all points you raised.
However, with regards to your check in wait, we would like to point out that Hotel Americano is a boutique property with only 56 rooms and this means that at times, our front desk is left with very few options (or none). We can assure you that if the front desk had an option for you, they would have certainly accommodated your early check in, same way they ended up upgrading you to a higher room category. Also, we do apologize the furniture and the lighting was not of your liking. Each item has been handpicked by our interior designer ( world famous) Arnoud Montigny but we do understand the design is indeed unique. Regardless, we would like to once again extend our apologies for the inconvenience and we do truly hope you that if you return to New York you will give us another try. If you do decide to come back, please do contact me directly and I will take care of your reservation personally. Thank you.

Marco Cilia
Key West, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

To start with, we had a very unfriendly receptionist upon check in and began to think we made the wrong choice in hotels. Unfortunately that was the case. The hotel design is beautiful and the rooftop bar and restaurant offer fantastic views. (Those are the only two positives about the Americano). We had dinner on the rooftop and had an incredibly rude waiter. He seemed irritated that we only ordered about $55.00 in food and drinks. When our food was brought to the table it was practically thrown down. Not a word from the waiter. Never a follow up to see if everything was okay or if we needed anything else. We wanted two glasses of wine but it never happened. After dinner we asked for a desert menu and he reluctantly dropped one on the table for us to share. We asked for two cups of coffee and his response was simply: "No coffee on the rooftop". He was obviously angry and wanted to turn the table. No apology, no explanation, no offers of an alternative. He just walked away fuming. We usually tip at least 20% for good service. We left him nothing.
The room design is cool but it's so small that it's hard for two people to move around at the same time. One very uncomfortable bean bag chair to sit in. One worn denim robe. We requested another but it never arrived. I could go on and on but one last thing about prices in the hotel. If you want to mix a small gin and tonic from the minibar, be prepared to shell out $23.00.
With so many good hotels in New York, why would anyone stay here?

Room Tip: Choose a good room somewhere else!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. We look at each review and try to improve our product and service for the future, so we appreciate your honesty. We are very sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us. We pride ourselves with having great customer service, and are disappointed you had a different experience. Also, we can assure you that your experience at our rooftop grill is not a regular occurrence here at Hotel Americano and it must have been a very unfortunate occasion. We do hope you will return to our property and give us the opportunity to turn around your view of us. Thanks again!

lisbon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

simple, elegant, stylish and packing a punch of hip to boot, I love this place. Central enough to be cool but quite as well. The staff is as good as the food and cocktails.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
New York and Seoul
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

As someone with a keen interest in new trends in the hospitality industry driven by design, I found the Hotel Americano to be a fascinating case.

As other travellers have noted, it's cool, hip, funky, etc. but in a part of Chelsea that is still very "transitional" (warehouses and car repair shops, a huge housing project just across 10th Avenue). Though only a few blocks away, the Standard Hotel, for example, and the High Line park area where it's located, is worlds apart from this neighborhood. That said, the rates at the Americano, for the "boutique hotel" experience you're getting is a great deal at around $250 a night. Still, you'd have to be fairly young and adventurous and city-savvy to make this hotel your base if you're a visitor to NYC.

First, the rooms. Very small at around 200 - 250 sq. ft. but well designed with an entire wall that is a window giving the feeling of a much more ample space. Still, the rooms are tiny and not recommended for extended stays. Get the ones on the upper floors (6 and avbove) facing uptown so you get largely unobstructed views of the city. We had room 73, a corner room, which gave us an additional "transom" window on the west side. A section of the main window opens for ventilation, a great feature and one that all hotels should have. (I hate being in a hermetically sealed room!). We quite enjoyed the bed on a wooden platform "ryokan" style, as the hotel notes.

But not so much the cold, hard concrete floor (though there are felt slippers available for use in the closet), or the near absence of shelves or seating (the bean bag is impractical and takes up a lot of space in what is already a small room).

I liked the iPad loaded with music and the hotel's app with all the necessary info about the hotel and the neighborhood. But not so much the intermittent quality of the "Airplay" feature that kept dropping the wireless music feed into the room's speakers. Finally just ended up playing it through the iPad's tinny speakers.

Loved the bathroom amenities, the Aesop bath products, the Japanese wash towel, and the glass shower booth. BUT, and this is a big minus that many others have noted, it's way too dark in there! I would think that aside from this being a huge inconvenience for most people, it would also present a serious liability for the hotel in the event of accidents (after all, bathrooms tend to get wet, slippery, with hard surfaces and metal hardware that are likely to produce serious injuries). Surprised that the hotel's legal counsel wouldn't have already pointed this out.

The hotel is fairly new and still seems to be ironing out some rough edges. Some suggestions for the hotel: the sheets are obviously high quality but make sure they are big enough to fit the mattress (the flat sheet for the mattress was too short to stay wrapped adequately around it, leaving my toes to rest uncomfortably on the somewhat scruffy mattress pad that became exposed). Make sure there are two pairs of slippers and and two robes in rooms designed to accommodate two people (only one of each in our room and then had to call housekeeping for the second pair of slippers; did not use the denim robe, though it looked cool, I prefer Frette or simple soft terry).

Finally a small gripe with the restaurant, which kept messing up my booking, taking it once for the rooftop bar/grill and then calling back to cancel without a good explanation, and then entirely losing my booking for their restaurant on the first floor, the Americano. The food was fairly good but not extraordinary, considering the considerable competition in this neighborhood. The service was courteous and efficient if not altogether warm and attentive. I would probably eat elsewhere in any of the many fine restaurants in Chelsea or the nearby Meatpacking district next time.

I like the Americano overall for what it manages to pack into a fairly small footprint (a lot that is probably 50 x 100) and only about 10 stories including the rooftop (also much smaller in reality than the photos would suggest; the pool is practically a large bathtub), which does offer a nice outdoor space to take in some views of the city while you sip your drink.

The hotel staff seems friendly enough, though I didn't really require their services beyond the routines of checking in and out, so it's hard to evaluate. Thought there should be a doorman out in front, just to help with guests coming into the hotel or needing a cab or whatever, but there was none the time I was there.

As I said, it's a weird combination of austerity and luxury but one worth trying to see if it suits you.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the higher floors (above 6) facing uptown so you have some views of the city.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Americano? Share your experiences!