“Praise, Praise, Praise for the Hyatt at 48 & Lex!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt 48 Lex

You added Hyatt 48 Lex to your Saves list
Hyatt 48 Lex
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   517 Lexington Avenue, New York City, NY 10017 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Advance Purchase 15% Off
Ranked #105 of 458 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Oakland, Maryland
“Praise, Praise, Praise for the Hyatt at 48 & Lex!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

First I have to admit that I don’t trust anyone and am not at all good at giving credit where credit is due, so I should be shot right now when I say that although I didn’t actually do any cussing, I made pretty sure that Michelle at the Hyatt at 48th Street & Lexington Avenue got an earful when I believed their housekeeping staff had made off with a forgotten jewelry bag. So, first off: Michelle, my deepest and most abject apologies for any upset I may have caused you personally.

AND it was my fault anyway, at least insofar as I WAS the one who got into such a rush to make my train that I forgot to thoroughly sweep the room (including the safe) before leaving for Penn Station. It was also my fault that I breezily went through the next few days (very busy due to the sudden death of a close friend) before sitting bolt upright in bed one morning thinking, “Where the heck IS that little bag?” and having that sinking feeling that I knew EXACTLY where it was - or at least where it had been.

This is not the first time I have left things behind (fortunately, I usually remember the people and the dogs). When my nephew got married in the city a few years ago I was running so late to the ceremony that I left a large hanging bag filled with very nice clothing behind in the hotel room closet. I never saw it again and inquiries were met with both refusal to look for my items and antagonism on the part of the owner/manager. This was NOT a Hyatt. And this is just one example. Other times, though, I’ve been lucky. Like the time I forgot a brand new, VERY expensive coat at a resort in the US. THEY called ME (!!) and without even a by-your-leave had already packed and mailed (at their expense) the coat back to me by the time the resort manager called.

The Hyatt at 48 & Lex came very close to this mark. VERY close indeed as they emailed me almost immediately and but for a transposed letter or two I would have had that email within 24 hours of my departure. As it was, sadly, I received no email and it was only the slow dripping of my brain that finally alerted me to my loss. Given my legion of negative experiences in this vein, I had little hope of recovering a small bag of just a few pieces of costume jewelry so when Michelle returned my call to say that they had not been able to locate my bag I was NOT surprised.

Hyatt markets their hotel at 48 & Lex as one of their top tier hotels. It’s a very boutique atmosphere - contemporary and modern. We have stayed there one other time and really enjoyed it as it’s fairly small, VERY quiet and the experience is quite intimate. Nevertheless, it’s sort of a “given” to me that you’re out of luck if you happen to leave anything behind. And so, while I wasn’t surprised that my little bag seemed to have gone into the pocket of one of the housekeeping staff, I gave poor Michelle quite a screed about how I thought it would be reasonable to have some expectation of both more honesty and better service from Hyatt, especially at one of its premier properties.

And I was right! Just not in the way you might think. No sooner had I hung up from making Michelle’s life miserable than I received a call from the hotel’s front office manager Nihaal, who explained to me that they had sent me at least one email saying that they had found my little bag and were trying to get some direction from me about returning it. BOY! Did I feel bad about that! Nihaal and I worked out all the details and I received my little bag of goodies 48 hours later. Nihaal and Michelle have restored what little faith I have in a real commitment to service and what in the past has been a rather desultory membership in the Hyatt loyalty program has become an active commitment. They both deserve GREAT BIG BONUSES!!!

Other than this hiccup, our stay at the Hyatt 48/Lex was pretty close to flawless. During this visit we had a corner suite with a very nice sized living room and a glass-walled corner bedroom. It was great waking up each morning to the changing view at the intersection below us and wonderful to come back each evening to our quiet haven. The only two things I would offer are that it seemed quite difficult to keep the room at temperature with the heat and we often went to bed with the heat set at 72 F or greater. Could this have been a result of the glass walls in the bedroom? Even with the insulated curtains closed? Also, the lights in the bedroom are on a delay off, so that about 5 seconds elapse from the time you touch the light switch to the time the lights actually go off. We found this quite confusing and don’t remember this from our stay (in a different room) last summer.

The Midtown location is great for us with simple and good restaurants on every corner, shopping within decent walking (even in the snow) and subway only 3 blocks away. We “survived” the non-snowstorm of Feb. 12-13 in style by attending the theatre and slogging around the Village. There is a nice spa right up the street (Bliss) for those interested in that sort of thing, a gourmet shop across the corner and except at rush hour/shift change cabs are readily available.

Our week in New York visiting family and friends was only enhanced by our stay at the Hyatt 48/Lex. Despite my poor behavior after our departure, issues were resolved in as timely a way as possible. Again apologies to Michelle and thanks to both she and Nihaal(sp.?) for resolving my own forgetfulness. We look forward to returning to your hotel again... and again!

Brian T, Manager at Hyatt 48 Lex, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Thank you for your response, in addition thanks for shouting out both Michelle and Nihaal. We all strive to get our names on Tripadvisor in a positive manner. Should your travels bring you back to the NYC area please do not hesitate to contact us. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon! We are pleased to hear you were able to locate you personal belongings.

Regards,

Brian Twomey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

I like this hotel. Rooms are quite cozy, bed is very comfortable, service is very good, the overall vibe is just very nice. For the price, I think it's probably hard to find a better value in NYC given the excellent midtown location.

All that said, some nits: There was a lot of hallway noise late night/early morning on our floor--people loudly talking into their cell phones/devices in some official capacity. Not a one off--happened on multiple nights. This seems strange given the small footprint of the floors (which is actually quite nice), but it was loud enough to wake me. So keep in mind that the hallway noise easily carries into the room whenever there is some -- but that should be rare.

Second--the internet charge. Probably not an issue if you're further up the Hyatt points/reward chain, but $15/day *per device* seems a bit miserly. Maybe most folks aren't sporting multiple internet connected devices, but I can see it tripping up families.

Didn't try the restaurant. Too many bulletproof options in easy walking/cab distance.

Would recommend and will stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid of rooms facing Lexington. Noise was minimal. But hallway noise, should it occ...
Brian T, Manager at Hyatt 48 Lex, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Dear bearossop,

Thank you for the four star review and for taking the time to provide your feedback on your most recent stay at Hyatt 48 Lex. We are happy to hear you enjoyed the guest room and customer service. In regards to the internet charge, once you hit Platinum status with Hyatt which is achieved by 15 stay nights or 5 qualifying stay nights, you receive complimentary wifi for the duration of your stay.

We hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back as our guest soon.

Hopkinton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

Perfect location on the quiet east side - close to Grand Central and short walk to Rockefeller Plaza, Times Square, and Central Park. The hotel is quite small with a basically non-existent lobby, but the rooms are adequate (not spectacular), clean and modern. Bed was very comfortable. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

Brian T, Manager at Hyatt 48 Lex, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Thanks for your review - we are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We strive to provide all our patrons with a clean, and beautiful property for all to enjoy. Glad you noticed :)...

Hope to welcome back again soon.

Regards,

Brian Twomey
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

A well maintained and intimate hotel with modern amenities in a very good location in NYC. Stayed for one night on business in a deluxe room; a compact room but with a comfortable bed (nice sheets) and nice walk-in shower. Room came with a small kitchenette, selection of wine and snacks. A charge was imposed for use of the internet (standard rates) but the service was reliable. Working area had a good number of convenient sockets to charge electronics and was well lighted. Singular hotel restaurant provided adequate quality food but many alternate choices are available in close proximity. Gym had ample variety of cardio and strength-related equipment - number of equipment and size of the premises were commensurate with the modest size of the hotel. Staff was efficient, cheerful and helpful. I had a very positive experience - will return if the opportunity arises.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Brian T, Manager at Hyatt 48 Lex, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dear Seng100,

I am happy to hear that your stay at Hyatt 48 Lex was a positive one! In regards to the internet charge-If you sign up for Hyatt's Gold Passport Program you receive complimentary internet access once you hit Platinum Status.

Thank you for the kind words and we hope to get the chance to welcome you back as our guest soon.

Mississauga
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

Friendly, clean, but they forgot my wakeup call. Luckily, I set my cellphone alarm just in case, but this was in order to catch a flight. I'm pretty easy going but that seemed silly. The location was cool, right by grand central station. More a financial or business based location, hotel appeared to have that sort of style as well. Smaller hotel. Beautiful bar/ restaurant.

• Stayed April 2013
Brian T, Manager at Hyatt 48 Lex, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
Dear Susana B,

I would like to sincerely apologize that you did not receive your wake up call. We value and listen to all feedback and continuously learn and improve from it.

If your travels bring you back to NYC we hope you give us the chance to restore your faith in Hyatt 48 Lex.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

Gorgeous rooms and amazing service! The concierge Chris, Carlos, Nihaal, Raymond and Chris were outstanding! Extremely friendly, helpful and welcoming! They helped us out when out flight was cancelled and needed to stay another night, told us the best places to eat and gave us great advice for seeing as much as we could. The second floor has a 24 hour lounge with comfortable couches, a computer (great to print tickets to shows and maps) and a expresso machine. The also have apples, cheese and crackers etc. out which was nice to come back to. Leidy and Vanessa (2nd floor concierge) were great in telling us what were the best sights to see, High Line, Chelsea Market, Eataly, Madison Square Garden, etc. Our housekeeper, Alexa, was also helpful as we forgot many essential things. She even found us a iPhone 5C charger! Our room was amazing, bed was very comfortable. Only downside was the spa wasn't in the hotel, not a huge deal, just a bit of an inconvenience; internet is a bit pricey at $15/day. Service was exemplary, would recommend to everyone and will definitely be returning!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Brian T, Manager at Hyatt 48 Lex, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
Dear edviac,

Wow, thank you for the "amazing" review! I can't wait to share your comments with the team!

Athens, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

This was an exemplary visit - the hotel was warm and friendly, the staff was very engaged and helpful, the room was large and comfortable, and the hospitality suite was always available with coffee, tea, newspapers, and a warm fire (nice on a wintery day). This was the best hotel stay I've had in NYC and will certainly plan on staying there again.

Room Tip: The west side provides a street view that is fun at night, seeing all the taxis going by.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear Andy H,

Thank you for the awesome review! It's great to hear you enjoyed our guest room and amenities in the lounge. Thank you for choosing Hyatt 48 Lex as your choice hotel in NYC!

Brian T

Been to Hyatt 48 Lex? Share your experiences!