“The people make it ok.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt 48 Lex

You added Hyatt 48 Lex to your Saves list
Hyatt 48 Lex
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   517 Lexington Avenue, New York City, NY 10017 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Rates from $229
Ranked #111 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Dallas, TX
“The people make it ok.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I've stayed at more than 20 different semi-luxury to luxury hotels in Manhattan. For the nightly rate in this room, you can find something more in the Omni Berkshire or Grand Hyatt category which have much more luxurious appointments. The people were sweet, but the room - though new and just 1 year old - was very battered. The materials - except for the bathroom - were inexpensive. The decor was non-existent. The TV covers up half the mirror. My white socks were black with dirt from the carpet and floors within a couple of hours. The bed was comfortable for sure and the view was good. Room service was outrageous but good take-out breakfast places abound in the same block. We stayed at the Grand Hyatt a few months ago and it is better than this little hotel in just about every way - except for the people. The people in the Hyatt 48 Lexington are terrific.

Room Tip: Make sure the A/C isn't rattling or loud. Ours was both but I didn't feel like changing room...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Brian T, Manager at Hyatt 48 Lex, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
ellenzelwell-

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your recent stay with us. I was sorry to learn your stay w/ us failed to meet your expectations. I only wish we could of addressed your concerns prior to check out. Should your travels bring you back to the New York area, please reach out to me personally as I would love the opportunity to restore you faith in the Hyatt 48 Lex.

Hope to hear from you...

brian.twomey@hyatt48lex.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Accept the rooms are not big (but not small by NYC standards either) and the elevators change direction for no apparent reason. But clean, great bedding, quiet by New York standards. The outsourced restaurant is not as good as the hotel itself, but not awful either. Most but maybe not all of the people in black work there and are helpful. The plane got in early and we arrived early but an upgrade Suite ending in 04 was found. Housekeeping tended to be rather late every day which I didn't really understand, but it was well done.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Brian T, Manager at Hyatt 48 Lex, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
jettybetty-

Welcome back and thanks for staying with us again. Thanks for your feedback as we are always looking to improve our guest experience.

Langhorne, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Awesome stay for girls weekend. Everything, from check in to check out was perfect!! 2nd floor lounge was great!! The chocolate cappuccino was yummy. Cheese, crackers & fruit in the afternoon & pastries, juice & fruit in the morning. Would go back in a heartbeat!!! Thanks again Hyatt, for great service!!!

• Stayed October 2012
oceanluvergirl,

Thank you for letting the Hyatt 48 Lex be apart of Girls Weekend! In addition, thanks for all the kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I've often looked to TripAdvisor for guidance when looking for a Hotel but this is the first time I've actually written a review. I was looking for a Hyatt property as I am a passport member and so that limited me to 48Lex, Andaz on 5th, Grand Hyatt and the Hyatt Regency on the Hudson. After looking at all of these reviews my wife and I landed at 48lex and we were not disappointed. The staff was friendly and helpful getting us to our room even a little early for check in. We were upgraded to a corner suite that had an amazing view of the city with a modern yet comfortable feel. The lounge area proved to be a major plus for my wife in that it had a complimentary cappuccino machine that had amazing coffee. We used the concierge to get tickets to Mama Mia and although very convenient we feel we may have been able to get a better deal in Times Square. However for what we were asking of him he did his job and was courteous and helpful. The price for the room is a bit more than we would every pay out of pocket but it seems all hotels in Manhattan seem to be comparable. Full disclosure our night was free but they treated us as though we paid full price. We enjoyed our time so much we have already booked a three night stay for December.

Room Tip: Corner Suites have a great View
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
regularordecaf,

Thank you for your feedback, we are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us!

McKinney, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

What a fabulous hotel. The "suite" was certainly not what a Texas gal would expect for a "suite" but it had everything and more, including a wonderful bed and wrap around windows looking down on 48th & Lex! What a view! Also the cappuccino/espresso maching in the Lexicon Lounge along with the black and white cookies were amazing!!!!

Room Tip: we were on the 16th floor and there were no noise problems.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Brian T, Manager at Hyatt 48 Lex, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
kthomason76,

Thank you so much for your feedback, we are truly excited to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Regards,

East Granby, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I stayed at the Lex 48 for one night with my wife this past Summer. We were in town for a Yankees game and were looking for an upper scale accommodation located near Grand Central Station. I am a Hilton Honors member and I usually look for Hilton Hotels first, however this newly renovated Hyatt was quite intriguing. When I arrived at the address for the Lex, I couldn't find the lobby. That's because it's a little different version of the lobby. There were three or four well dressed younger looking people standing infront of the door that was supposed to be the address of the Lex. I would soon find out that these young people were the hotel staff. They immediately greeted me and welcomed my wife and I inside the very small looking lobby. The Lobby consists of a granite tabletop with two computers mounted inside the counter top. My reservation was located but my room not available yet. I was a little early, about 2pm for a 3pm check-in. I dropped my bag with the very helpful attendant, and I was on my way to the game. I returned at about 11pm and was dissapointed my bag was not delivered to my room as promised. It's a good thing I checked, because riding the elevator is a bit of a tricky evolution. You have to insert your card and press your floor at a near simultaneously. If not, you're going for a ride. Inside my room, was relatively spacious and very modern. The bathroom was very spacious and the bed comfortable. The next morning we were able to walk to a fantastic diner for breakfast and make our train back to CT with no problem. The hotel is essentially brand new and I would stay here again, and probably will next summer.

Room Tip: Try to get a lower floor room as the elevator is a bit of a headache.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Brian T, Manager at Hyatt 48 Lex, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Thomas G-

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback about your stay with us this past summer. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and you are looking to visit us again. In addition, I wanted to apologize for not having your luggage brought to your guest room. I will address your concerns with our front office manager.

Please reach out to me directly prior to booking your next stay with us, I will be able to provide you with more of a favorable rate.

Thanks,

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I stayed here for only one night and I had a mostly good experience. I arrived at the hotel about an hour before the scheduled check-in and my room was ready/available and the staff working the front desk greeted me quickly and were friendly. I requested a high floor and was placed on floor 19, but there was no view to speak of.

The room was very nice and impeccably clean. The shower was large with a glass door (and no bathtub). My bed was extremely comfortable. There were plenty of electric outlets, and I always appreciate having an iPod dock in the room.

There was a full rack of wine for purchase, along with a small snack bar. The second floor lounge had free water, juice, coffee and tea, along with some pastries in the morning. I didn't try to attached restaurant.

Minuses: The safe in my room didn't work. When attempting to follow the directions to reset it, a 30 minute count-down clock appeared. I didn't have enough time to wait for the clock to countdown so I hid my iPad/jewelry in my locked luggage and everything appeared to be how I left it when I returned. I would have felt more comfortable with a working safe.

The biggest minus was the woman working the front door. I was apparently one of the few guests NOT at the hotel for a UN event that evening, so maybe that was why my treatment was sub par, but it was still disappointing. After trying unsuccessfully to hail a cab, I walked over to her and asked for assistance (making it clear I was a guest at the hotel). She told me that there were lots of hotels on the block and I should go over to another hotel, LIE and say that I was a guest leaving for the airport and ask them to hail a cab for me. Umm. No.

When I returned late that night, the same woman was still working the door. I was dropped off in front by a cab and approached the hotel with my room key in hand. She physically blocked my path as I tried to enter the hotel and definitely did not make me feel welcome. I'm not going to speculate the reasons for her rudeness, but it definitely put a damper on my stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Good Afternoon,

I am happy to hear you think the Hyatt 48 is a great hotel. We at the Hyatt 48 do our best everyday to provide outstanding customer service to all our partons that walk in the door and I was happy to hear all your comments.

We hope you visit again soon!

Brian Twomey

Been to Hyatt 48 Lex? Share your experiences!