“Basic hotel in great location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pennsylvania New York

You added Hotel Pennsylvania New York to your Saves list
Hotel Pennsylvania New York
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   401 Seventh Avenue at 33rd Street, New York City, NY 10001 (Chelsea)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 35% Off!
Ranked #387 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Hessle, England
“Basic hotel in great location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Stayed two nights before flying onto the Caribbean. The outside appearance and the Lobby look really good but I had read on Trip Advisor be prepared - that is the best bit. I was initially disappointed with the room although it was clean. Bedding and towels both fresh and clean also but the room was very basic and the shower looked like it would fall off the wall any minute but it worked. Strangely enough by the second day I seemed to be getting used to the minimalistic room and really started to enjoy being there. Must have been the location which is fabulous.
Everything is close by. Maddison Square Gardens is opposite, Macys round the corner. Close to
Times Square with a 5 minutes walk to Empire State Building. Subway is about 20mtrs away.
We stayed on the 5th floor everything was quiet we had no problem sleeping. The view from the
window was not good though it was just the back of some buildings. I walked out to get a cup of
coffee at 4.30am and it was still busy outside with people. I did not feel unsafe there was lots of
places open around hotel. The New York City Airporter Bus picks up and drops off just mtrs from the front door. We are going back again to New York and will stay here again.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (909)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Booked a room as a conference I was attending with 500 people was being held there. The room was not ready when I arrived at 8pm, no towels, no pillow cases, and a broken phone. The room was not clean, the carpet was stained. the thought of sleeping in the bed frightened me, I did no even want to take off my shoes. Since the phone was broken I could not call for a pillow case and or towels so when I went to the bell captain in the lobby he told me to go back to my room and call. Informed him I could not call. He dialed the number and handed the phone to me only to be met by a rude women who stated that she needed to sit down first and to tell me what I needed. An hour later I called the main hotel number from my cell phone to ask for towels and pillow cases again as what I requested did not arrive, was told someone would be up, it was almost 11pm by then, packed up my belongings and asked for another room. I was given the keys to a new room only to find after going to the10th floor that it was already occupied. I went down to the lobby to complain and get another room. The rude clerk who assigned me the occupied room wanted to know what the problem was. I was given another room by this time it was already midnight. The room was only slightly better but had towels and pillowcases. For the price, lack of service, rude staff, filthy rooms and unexpected facility fee-never again. Hotel nightmare.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We stayed at this hotel because of business (otherwise I would have ran out of there in a New York minute. The hotel is beyond booked and it does not allow you to do early check-in. They make you sit around in the lobby and the charge you $5 per piece of luggage to store your luggage downstairs in the luggage hold room.

The rooms are old, plain and down-right depressing. The furnishings are not just nostalgic and old looking --they are really just old and worn! The bathrooms are old and peeling tubs, peeling wooden toilets.

The staff was decent....the luggage guys in the basement were the most helpful and fun. There is a snack shop with pastries, coffee and teas. There are shops in the lobby that sell typical cheap NYC trinkets and other items like bottle drinks and candy.

The location is great for that area, but with public transportation and other services so readily available, who cares? I say if you have a choice, which we didn't, don't dare spend a dime there! As soon as we were done with business that required us to stay in the provided this room (a TV shoot), we RAN to a nice hotel the same day! I don't think I will ever stomach staying here again.

Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We booked this hotel well in advance and chose it due to proximity to Times Square and the subway and the cheaper price. The disappointing thing was that if we had waited and booked a few days before it would have worked out cheaper.

We didn't have any issues with checking in as we did it at 1030pm however there were tons of people in the lobby who seemed drunk and as we would begin to learn many homeless outside scrounging for dollars and cigarettes.

The room was ok. The tv was about thirty years old but it did the job. We didn't find any roach friends in our bathroom or room so that was good!

The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was clean although slightly cramped.

Check out was easy as you can just put your key in a box and sign your name.

Location fab as Madison square garden is across the road and subway is nearby. Concierge helped withy flagging taxis when needed.

We had breakfast included which normally costs $14 each. We managed to eat here twice due to the huge queues and nowhere to sit. With a hotel this big you'd think they'd find a bigger space to seat everyone instead of in a small cramped restaurant. Breakfast was fruit cups, slices of gorgeous cooked meats such as ham and turkey, bread, boiled eggs, juices and coffee.

There is a little coffee shop in the lobby which sells small coffee for $2 which I took advantage of. There is also a convenience store which irked my husband as each time he went to buy a red bull they'd charge a different price depending on what accent he chose to put on.. Try an American accent to get a cheaper price!

There are many many places to eat in the local area. Koreatown is a very small walk away and there are so many fast food places like Five Guys, mcdonalds, sbarro (good for coffee), subway etc. hooters is across the street along with a couple of Irish pubs. Times Square is ten minutes away and Central Park around twenty minutes. Macy's is five minutes away.

This hotel is huge with 1700 rooms and very very busy so be prepared for that. Staff are friendly enough although we didn't have much interaction with them. Beware of the beggars and people peddling tour trips outside the hotel.

I wouldn't return to the hotel because I think by paying a bit more you can get a bigger room with decent amenities inside. No tea or coffee available in the room or safe although there was a hairdryer. Queues for reception seemed long most of the day but as I said we didn't have this problem checking in or out.

Not everything is bad in the hotel just be prepared for a non luxury hotel.

If you haven't booked yet shop around a bit more and see if you an something that costs maybe an extra $30-50 a night. For some New York is the trip of a lifetime and if your only staying a few days spend the extra money then you won't be disappointed as it seems so many are.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Best location in Manhattan. Just accross the street of Madison Square Garden. The hotel is a little bit outdated but the staff members are polite and helpfull. You can even have. Very large room with a view, either smallee ones

Room Tip: Room vith a view
Saugerties, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We booked a room for two nights here because we had tickets for a sports event at Madison Square Garden across the street. We visit Manhattan often, and usually stay at hotels operated by Hilton, but figured for the price and location, Hotel Penn couldn't be that bad. It was that bad.
Rub your eyes when entering the lobby...is it dark in here, or are my glasses dirty? Shabby, somewhat threadbare carpets line the dingy, institutional looking hallways, so I guess we shouldn't have been surprised at the dingy room. Tiny shower, with little dead gnats stuck to the ceiling, old tiles, not sparkling by any means, and the occasional waft of sewer completed the bathroom picture. Room itself, dark, somewhat depressing outfitted with uncomfortable bed, two flat pillows, an ancient TV and dirty windows. At least the sheets were fresh.
Breakfast not awful, not great, and the hot steamed milk for coffee was the nice touch. It was complimentary for us, but the advertised fee of $14 would have been a complete rip off.
There's just no excuse for the condition of this hotel! It's certainly packed full of people, including many from different countries. If this was their first impression of American hospitality, shame on the owners and management of Hotel Pennslyvania.

Room Tip: My tip would be not to stay here.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Pennsylvania New York? Share your experiences!