“No renovation at all” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pennsylvania New York

You added Hotel Pennsylvania New York to your Saves list
Hotel Pennsylvania New York
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   401 Seventh Avenue at 33rd Street, New York City, NY 10001 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #384 of 459 Hotels in New York City
“No renovation at all”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I stayed here with my wife for the first of my private NYC travels. This review does not allow registering stays before 2013, whereas our stay was at 2010. The hotel is very old, so that we were scared whether there could be no pest control, incl. the room area, and could not sleep well initial night. Then we were used to the oldness, and managed our stay. We remember the hotel, resisting any renovation, at theee time of our stay here. There was a carpet smell everywhere, and I was ashamed how I brought my family to such a hotel, whereas we finally managed. The only positive I remember about the hotel is that they had a small lounge for breakfast at some floor, where they offered bretzels, philly cheese, tea, coffee, etc, a small breakfast. Will not return unless I am sure that they renovate the rooms, not such a bad mistake again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (817)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Norfolk, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I have stayed in this hotel 5 times in the last 7 months because 1) it's a fantastic location...I take Amtrak up to NY from Va and it is right across the street...no taxi needed! 2) it sits right on top of the Downtown 1, 2, and 3 trains, one block from the Uptown 1, 2, and 3 trains, and 1 block from the N, Q, and R trains that follow Broadway down through Union Square where my son's NYU dorm was. 3) the houskeeping staff is wonderful and very pleasant and accomodating. HOWEVER, the hotel is badly in need of an update...new carpet and paint needed desparately, as well as a good cleaning....do NOT use the white-glove test in this place! Looks as if they have never cleaned the top of a door...rust stains in many of the bathrooms. But for me, worse than looking old and tired, I obviously can deal with that, internet sucks!!! Especially since you have to pay for it ($10.95/day) if you book through someone other than their site. Last week I could not download some sites for two of the three days there. Extremely frustrating.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
NYHPTeam, Front Office Manager at Hotel Pennsylvania New York, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear Laurie, thank you for your review. We are happy you were able to take advantage of our great location. Thank you for your feedback on the room and internet service, I am sorry it was not up to par. I will notify our housekeeping and IT departments for corrective action. We are grateful for repeat guests like you and we look forward to having you again soon! Thank you again!
Saint Albans, Vermont
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Reading the nasty reviews before we got to this hotel had me a little nervous. I was pleasantly surprised however. We were able to get into our room a little early and had great service throughout our stay (aside from the incredibly eager housekeeper on the morning we checked out). The room wasn't huge but it had everything we needed. The water pressure in the shower was intense and lovely.
We were there for a Con in the hotel so we weren't able to do a whole lot of sightseeing, but we did walk to Times Square.
I would stay here again in a heartbeat. It's true that I would be expecting more from my hotel room if I were staying in small town America - but for NYC, the city that never sleeps, the city of a thousand stories, it was a safe, clean and comfortable place for us to be.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Very tired and dated hotel. The entire hotel needs major renovations, dirty carpets, bathrooms with very little water pressure, even the staff seem tired and unhelpful. The only plus is the location opposite Penn station.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE REVIEW! Its a bit long but i truly hope i can save someone the hassle and time!!

This place seriously just sucks. I read alllll the reviews on trip advisor, trivago, etc, and thought all those people who gave it a bad review were just being way to picky...hell no. When i first checked in, i got assigned room 1287...when i go to set my bags down, someone was already staying in that room. (Yes, i had an active key to that room, with someones personal belongings in it.) i went back downstairs to see what was up, and got told it was a mistake, they meant room 1289. Well, i went to 1289, open the door, and AGAIN! I walked into a room that had people in it. Bags all over the place, people watching TV! IF I WAS A DISHONEST PERSON, I WOULD OF HAD A DAMN FIELD DAY GOING THROUGH TWO ROOMS OF OTHER PEOPLES BELONGINGS! Finally i get to my room....but it didnt end. I had security knocking on my door at 12:30 in the morning for TWO NIGHTS, saying that i wasnt a registered guest, and i shouldnt be here because i never paid!! When i checked in, i got charged the price of the room, a $400 hold, and $100 security deposit for damages, etc. yet im downstairs in the middle of the night being told i need to re-register. The hotel is way out dated. Stains all over the carpet, dirty, musty rooms. The bathroom shower has mold on the liners and the walls. The 3 ac units in my room have mold in them, and you cant adjust the temp in the one in the bedroom cuz the knob is broken. The iron ruined two of my dress shirts because the rust on it. The chairs are stained and ripped. It has really been just a disaster..and that is putting it mildly ... I was really looking forward to staying here. Such a shame a hotel in the best part of NYC is such a disaster. (Again, THATS PUTTING IT EXTREMELY MILDLY!) Next time i come to the city, ill stay at The Roosevelt, where my sister and her husband stayed.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Guy, thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. Your satisfaction is important to us. We at Hotel Pennsylvania, we take customer service seriously. I can assure you we will look into the occupied room issue you outlined in your review. We will take the steps necessary to ensure this does not happen again. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the experience. I ask if you could please contact us at the Hotel so we may get more detail from you on the dates of the incident. Thank you again for your feedback and have a great day.
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I booked this hotel to stay with my 2 teenage kids.

Very convenient location, old style hotel, reasonable price for this location, very spacious for 2 double beds room, as in every hotels in US, there is iron board and iron in room (which is never provided in Asian hotels)

No safety box in room, you have to come to the locker room next to Front Desk on ground floor to ask for a safety box. They will keep the box in locker room and give you the key.

Can borrow US adapter from Front desk staff

If you looking for a budget hotel in good location in NYC, it is a good choice but have to compromise with its old facility and normal services

Room Tip: This hotel locates in a very busy street, ask for a room not face the street and as higher as better
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

Like I said the location is excellent! But the condition inside room, uffff. Bed was clean, but rugs disgusting! And, the chair was filthy! It looks like the rugs everywhere on the 4th floor was like 50, no 100 years old and dirty. The lobby looks really nice but they should change the rugs and throw away those filthy chairs.

• Stayed June 2014
NYHPTeam, Manager at Hotel Pennsylvania New York, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I would like to add that we are in the middle of changing all the old carpet in the hotel. We are very sorry to hear about the issue however Please be advised that that management will be discussing your review with the appropriate team members and taking action. We’re always looking for ways to improve and reviews like yours are very important to us.

Been to Hotel Pennsylvania New York? Share your experiences!