I'm at the hotel now, on day 4 of a 6 night stay. Because it's late January, the rate I got was RIDICULOUSLY low -- well under a hundred dollars per night, which is pretty amazing for New York.
If I had paid a lot of money for the room, I'd have a list of small complaints. But I think the negative reviews on here are greatly exaggerated. I'm sure some floors and rooms are better than others, but I've had a very positive experience here and would definitely stay again if I got a great rate like this. Here are all the positives:
*Perfect location -- it cannot get any more convenient.
*Decent size room -- definitely larger than others I've had in NYC.
*Clean -- yes, you read that right, clean, particularly the bathroom.
*Quiet -- no trouble with noise on my hall or with neighbors.
*Gym -- surprisingly decent, free gym.
*Service -- unlike many people, we had absolutely no line at checkin, and we arrived right at 3pm. People have all been pleasant, friendly and helpful.
*Window opens partially so you can get fresh air.
*12 elevators, all of which are new/modern work well -- never had to wait long.
The negatives are basically because this is an old hotel. If you've ever lived in a big city -- NY, DC, Chicago, San Francisco -- the rooms in this hotel will probably remind you of your first rental apartment. In other words, they've been painted over numerous times, the trim and moldings aren't crisp and fresh, the furniture and decor are dated, the hardware on doors is old.
Probably the worst part of the hotel is actually the hallways -- they're the most worn out aspect of the place, and many of the hotel room doors have chipped paint.
Nothing about these aesthetic issues makes the hotel unclean, unsafe or uncomfortable. They do, however, make it one of the best deals you can possibly get in NY.
If you're looking for something modern and pristine, don't stay here. If you're looking for a convenient, clean, safe hotel in a perfect location, and you get a really good rate, I'd highly recommend the Hotel Pennsylvania. I'll be back (if I can get a great rate like I did this time).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A great location doesn't have to be out of reach. New York's Hotel Pennsylvania is in the heart of Midtown Manhattan, and our surprisingly affordable rates leave more money in your pocket to enjoy the city.Each day our guests hit the streets and arrive at fabulous New York City locales within minutes. Marvel at the Empire State Building, savor exciting Times Square and take in a Broadway show or, hop on the subway right by the hotel and head to one of NYC's diverse and exciting neighborhoods. Just steps away from Midtown's most popular attractions, and offering countless easy transportation options, New York's Hotel Pennsylvania puts you in the middle of the action. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, TravelClick, BookIt.com, HotelTravel.com, Orbitz, Priceline, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Agoda, HostelBookers, Odigeo, Reservation Counter, Travelocity and Tingo so you can book your Hotel Pennsylvania New York reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pennsylvania New York
- Pennsylvania Hotel Nyc
- Hotel Pennsylvania Nyc
- Hotel Pennsylvania New York City
- Hotel New Pennsylvania York