Stayed here for 4 nights in November 2012 - last time I was here was 11 years previous in 2001 and the wealth of bad reviews recently made me apprehensive about staying here again.
But I need not have worried. This hotel IS old and a bit shabby but my room was **ultra-clean**, all bedding and towels ultra-clean and the bathroom also.
YES there might have been a hairline crack on the bathroom sink, YES the paintwork in the room was shoddy, YES the TV was ancient, YES the carpet a bit worn - but does this make for a dreadful stay in NYC? NO!!!!!!
Location is SECOND TO NONE - straight opposite PENN STATION. No walking around hauling bags when you get off the train or bus from the airport or from the subway during your stay.
Next door (practically) is MACY's. Starbucks, Pret-A-Manger, Whole Foods, etc. etc. ALL ON YOUR DOORSTEP!!! Times Square a few minutes walk up the street. Subway right outside takes you ANYWHERE instantly.
I found the front-desk staff perfectly helpful and polite. I made use of the free safe deposit box every day to store my laptop and ALWAYS got friendly and polite staff. Even chatty some days.
The cleaning staff always had a "good morning" for me when I passed them in the corridor!
Free fast WiFi in my room (wasn't expecting that) and even though I was on the 16th floor I *never* had to wait for an elevator - they have tons of them, all new and clean and FAST.
Slept like a baby every night (when I arrived I said I'd like a quiet room and the receptionist said 'no problem'). TV is ancient but perfectly adequate with about 20 or so channels. Bed was super-comfortable and my superior double room was not cramped at all. Bathroom old but clean. Shower had great water pressure and instantly hot every morning.
So if you are expecting the Ritz but you've paid less than almost any other hotel rate (for en-suite room) in the city, then yes you will be disappointed.
On the other hand if you are expecting a clean, comfortable room in an AMAZING location for a price around HALF the typical NYC hotel price then you will not be disappointed.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania Hotel New York
- Pennsylvania Hotel
- Pennsylvania New York
- Pennsylvania Hotel Nyc
- Hotel Pennsylvania Nyc
- Hotel Pennsylvania New York City
- Hotel New Pennsylvania York
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Eighteen-story Landmark Hotel located opposite Madison Square Garden & Penn Station. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, BookIt.com, Agoda, Amex, Olotels, EasyToBook, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, Priceline, Venere, Hotels.com and HotelsClick so you can book your Hotel Pennsylvania New York reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.