“Disgusting, Dirty, Dated, Extremely Loud Heater” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pennsylvania New York

You added Hotel Pennsylvania New York to your Saves list
Hotel Pennsylvania New York
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   401 Seventh Avenue at 33rd Street, New York City, NY 10001 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #384 of 455 Hotels in New York City
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Disgusting, Dirty, Dated, Extremely Loud Heater”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I'll start with the good. The staff at the front desk are nice and helpful. Also conveniently located near time square, empire state building and across the street from penn staition.

The cons are rooms are so dated, old and extremely dirty. I don't think they vacuumed it since the hotel first opened. The room is also pretty dark due to the lack of lighting probably to keep from showing how dirty it is.

The heater was louder than a car engine I couldn't sleep the first night. I called front desk in the morning and they sent someone up right away. The guy changed the filter, he also found that the window couldn't close properly so he just pulled down the shade. After changing the filter the heater was still as loud and said thats the best he could do.

If you don't feel like sleeping at night this hotel would work for you. I would not recommend or stay at this hotel again. I would rather pay a little bit more for another hotel and get a good nights sleep.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (793)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Southampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

This Hotel is not really that bad as some people make out, after all it was built in 1919 and the rooms could do with a bit of renovating. Anyway you don't go to New York to stay in your room!!. The sheets and towels were very clean and that is the main thing. The room and bathroom were clean and shower good. Location exellent. If you want a perfect hotel then you pay the price it's as simple as that.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Boston, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Stayed at the Penn for two nights last week with some friends. Booked a few weeks ago and were pleasantly surprised by the rates. When we got there, we found what was, in its day, a fabulous hotel but one which, it has to be said, has suffered from a lack of tlc in recent years. Many of your most outspoken critics have commented on the seediness and the 'carewornness' of the place - not evident when you check in or step into the lifts/elevators, but certainly so once you arrive on your chosen floor. We were on the 9th, and once we arrived in the room we were somewhat alarmed by the state of the bathroom and the room itself, which hadn't been visited by a caretaker or maintenance chap for some considerable time. What was evident, though, was that the housekeeping staff were 'on the case' as the bedroom, bathroom, linen etc were superbly presented. Many of the contributors have been extremely harsh in their criticism of the place, which I believe is pretty unjust. What many haven't mentioned is that the location, in the heart of 7th Avenue, opposite Madison Square Garden and Penn Station, is absolutely first class, possibly the best spot in NYC, so for the price you pay, fab!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Stockholm, Stockholms Län, Sweden
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Pro:
the location.

Con:
- we booked at non smoking room, but the room still smelled old smoke.
- the bedspread had old stains on it so we asked to change room (wich we did).
-Thin walls, we were awakened by the neighbors.

Comment: we are happy that we only spent one night at this hotel. It was old and run down. We will try another hotel next time.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

This hotel is very charming but it needs to be renovated. The location is excellent. I stayed on the 3rd floor and the corridors, specially carpets and walls, looked terrible. However, the walls were being painted the day I left, which is a good sign. The room looked dated but it was clean and comfortable. The bathroom was also a bit worn out but it was always clean with nice towels and a good shower. I didn't have a very good impression when I arrived but liked the place after a good night sleep.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Mount Gambier, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

The only thing that made this motel good was its amazing location. Due to damage from Super storm Sandy at our pre booked accomodation we had to find last minute replacement. Looked ok on internet and was about the only thing available. Lobby looked ok and location was amazing. Across from Penn Station and Madison Square Gardens, 2 blocks from Empire State Building and an easy walk to Times Sqare and even Central Park. Many, many cools shops and places to eat all around.

Now the rooms. Got out of the elevator on level 4 and thought we had traveled back in time to the 1930s but a dirty version. When we found our room that was not easy as motel was so huge and found these funny looking doors that looked from another time. Once in the room it was quite large but that was the best feature. We were too scared to put anything on the floor as the carpet was sure to have things living in it. Strange brown color but I am not sure that was its original color. The bathroom was a bathroom by name. The water was running from the totally rusty shower head constantly and the whole room was damp and moldy. I was going to run a bath for my 10 year old one night but the water looked like it would make him dirtier so let it out again. We had a strange little room off our main room that looked like it may have been a safe or a prison cell once? It was handy to put our suit cases in though. The TV was the first colour TV ever made and we had no internet in the room to use. The heater was a moster and too noisy to run so we left it off.

We had 4 nights here finishing on election night. We thought about leaving after the first night but due to the great location and trouble with finding anything else we stayed. It was a sort of test of our will to see if we could make it through. If only they would fix it up it would be an amazing place to stay.

Room Tip: I dont know if you can choose a good room. Be prepared for a fright and enjoy the location if you da...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

This summer me, my father, brother and his friend spent a week in new York, and our hotel was the hotel Pennsylvania, this is how it went.
When we first arrived me and my dad went to our first room, our key card failed to work at first, then when we got in the lights didn't work, until finally they tunred on, then the horror of the room sank in.
Dust covered the floor, the bed was scruffy and there were cracks and holes in the walls, we tried to make the most of it, until the next day, my brother and his friend Chelsea had demanded an upgrade as their room was worse and so we did the same, but it was no better.
We walked in and saw that cracks and dust was gone, but the air conditioner was loud, the tv was terrible and the shower head stuck out of the wall, by that I mean that, a large portion of the neck of the shower stuck out, and when I tried to put it back in, it pushed itself out.
My next misfortune came when I tried to have a shower, as I tried to have a shower I realised that the water was cold, the next day I tried a bath, but the water was cold again, I tried to be brave and have the cold bath, but it wouldn't last, I put my feet in, then my legs, but then I finally gave up as my testicles froze.
It was difficult to go to sleep as the air conditions was essential as it was too hot to sleep, but then the noise it made ruined it.
We were unable to sleep, so the next day we changed our room once again, my dad wanted to watch the Olympic closing ceremony, but the TV was terrible, so we changed again, yeah, three times.
We watched the Olympics on the tv, but our happiness was destroyed later, or at least mine was, I have not told my father this, but later in the middle of the night, I woke up, feeling a strange sensation in my stomach, later I rushed to the toilet and vomited, what was in their food?
Whilst on the topic of toilets, the water in the toilet was almost overflowing, so when you did your business, it almost came out, and as I vomited, it was close to my face, I could see the chicken floating just before my face.
Another issue was the wires, I noticed something strange when josh (brother) and Chelsea came in and sat on the bed, the lamp tunred on, then when they got off, it turned off.
I told them and we pulled the bed back, the wires to the lamp were just behind the bed, and sticking out of the wall, so when you sat on the bed, it pressed into the wires and turned in the light, meaning when we wanted to go to bed, the light would turn on, brilliant.
The bed was slightly ripped and dirt seemed to roam freely, as well as blood, as my father tells me.
The last complaint was the service, whenever we tried to get help, they just said to talk to someone else, I thought that customer service was huge in the states, but apparently not.

Room Tip: There isn't a good room, really just don't go, ever.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Pennsylvania New York? Share your experiences!