“Dirty and smokey.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pennsylvania New York

Expedia.com Booking.com
Hotel Pennsylvania New York
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   401 Seventh Avenue at 33rd Street, New York City, NY 10001 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 25% Off!
Ranked #377 of 446 hotels in New York City
Stockholm, Stockholms Län, Sweden
“Dirty and smokey.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Pro:
the location.

Con:
- we booked at non smoking room, but the
room still smelled old smoke.
- the bedspread had old stains on it so we asked to change room (wich we did).
-Thin walls, we were awakened by the neighbors.

Comment: we are happy that we only spent one night at this hotel. It was old and run down. We will try another hotel next time.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

7,783 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (648)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

This hotel is very charming but it needs to be renovated. The location is excellent. I stayed on the 3rd floor and the corridors, specially carpets and walls, looked terrible. However, the walls were being painted the day I left, which is a good sign. The room looked dated but it was clean and comfortable. The bathroom was also a bit worn out but it was always clean with nice towels and a good shower. I didn't have a very good impression when I arrived but liked the place after a good night sleep.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Mount Gambier, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

The only thing that made this motel good was its amazing location. Due to damage from Super storm Sandy at our pre booked accomodation we had to find last minute replacement. Looked ok on internet and was about the only thing available. Lobby looked ok and location was amazing. Across from Penn Station and Madison Square Gardens, 2 blocks from Empire State Building and an easy walk to Times Sqare and even Central Park. Many, many cools shops and places to eat all around.

Now the rooms. Got out of the elevator on level 4 and thought we had traveled back in time to the 1930s but a dirty version. When we found our room that was not easy as motel was so huge and found these funny looking doors that looked from another time. Once in the room it was quite large but that was the best feature. We were too scared to put anything on the floor as the carpet was sure to have things living in it. Strange brown color but I am not sure that was its original color. The bathroom was a bathroom by name. The water was running from the totally rusty shower head constantly and the whole room was damp and moldy. I was going to run a bath for my 10 year old one night but the water looked like it would make him dirtier so let it out again. We had a strange little room off our main room that looked like it may have been a safe or a prison cell once? It was handy to put our suit cases in though. The TV was the first colour TV ever made and we had no internet in the room to use. The heater was a moster and too noisy to run so we left it off.

We had 4 nights here finishing on election night. We thought about leaving after the first night but due to the great location and trouble with finding anything else we stayed. It was a sort of test of our will to see if we could make it through. If only they would fix it up it would be an amazing place to stay.

Room Tip: I dont know if you can choose a good room. Be prepared for a fright and enjoy the location if you da...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

This summer me, my father, brother and his friend spent a week in new York, and our hotel was the hotel Pennsylvania, this is how it went.
When we first arrived me and my dad went to our first room, our key card failed to work at first, then when we got in the lights didn't work, until finally they tunred on, then the horror of the room sank in.
Dust covered the floor, the bed was scruffy and there were cracks and holes in the walls, we tried to make the most of it, until the next day, my brother and his friend Chelsea had demanded an upgrade as their room was worse and so we did the same, but it was no better.
We walked in and saw that cracks and dust was gone, but the air conditioner was loud, the tv was terrible and the shower head stuck out of the wall, by that I mean that, a large portion of the neck of the shower stuck out, and when I tried to put it back in, it pushed itself out.
My next misfortune came when I tried to have a shower, as I tried to have a shower I realised that the water was cold, the next day I tried a bath, but the water was cold again, I tried to be brave and have the cold bath, but it wouldn't last, I put my feet in, then my legs, but then I finally gave up as my testicles froze.
It was difficult to go to sleep as the air conditions was essential as it was too hot to sleep, but then the noise it made ruined it.
We were unable to sleep, so the next day we changed our room once again, my dad wanted to watch the Olympic closing ceremony, but the TV was terrible, so we changed again, yeah, three times.
We watched the Olympics on the tv, but our happiness was destroyed later, or at least mine was, I have not told my father this, but later in the middle of the night, I woke up, feeling a strange sensation in my stomach, later I rushed to the toilet and vomited, what was in their food?
Whilst on the topic of toilets, the water in the toilet was almost overflowing, so when you did your business, it almost came out, and as I vomited, it was close to my face, I could see the chicken floating just before my face.
Another issue was the wires, I noticed something strange when josh (brother) and Chelsea came in and sat on the bed, the lamp tunred on, then when they got off, it turned off.
I told them and we pulled the bed back, the wires to the lamp were just behind the bed, and sticking out of the wall, so when you sat on the bed, it pressed into the wires and turned in the light, meaning when we wanted to go to bed, the light would turn on, brilliant.
The bed was slightly ripped and dirt seemed to roam freely, as well as blood, as my father tells me.
The last complaint was the service, whenever we tried to get help, they just said to talk to someone else, I thought that customer service was huge in the states, but apparently not.

Room Tip: There isn't a good room, really just don't go, ever.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
NYC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

The tub didn't drain, the water was green, the TV didn't work at first and then would pop on blaring once you fell asleep, the window wouldn't open, there is no AC, it is tiny, dirty, rusty, and incredibly uncomfortable. I am a simple man, and would have preferred to sleep on the street.

Riverton, Utah, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

There's "value" and then there's just plain Thievery! The only positive comments on this hotel, say the hotel is in a great location. Quite honestly, the dirt this hotel sits on is a great location...the hotel itself plummets property value. This place should be condemned and imploded ASAP!

When the taxi cab driver laughs at you because you're staying at Hotel Pennsylvania that should be your first clue this is going to be an adventure. Check in was fast, non-eventul. I was amazed we were not "welcomed" to the hotel but I am sure the receptions staff looks at each guest as the next pissed off guest and I can only imagine the numerous trips people take back to the reception to ask if this is some kind of joke!

So let the adventure start......you walk to the elevator, where a security person sits with a sign stating you must show your room key to proceed. I have been in and out of the hotel no less than 12 times and they could give a crap who's going anywhere. Who cares anyway because once you get to your room, you have a fantastic steel door half rusted off the hinges which was "built on this very location in 1919" as the sign states as you slide your card key in to open. I was wonder if the key card was necessary, if I should just give it a little push to open it. The 1970 appointments in the room are rather lavish. Can you ever really get enough of that gold, green and rust color? The carpets are amazing. Listen, they have not been vacuumed or cleaned since 1970 - so I am hoping they went with brown carpets (otherwise, look out).

The bathroom is really nice. It appears the interior decorator found some rusty steal at the bottom of the ocean and said, "Wow this would make a great door jam for the bathrooms at the hotel". The vanity light looks like someone purchased it from a salvage yard for $0.50. When you flush the toilet, it sounds like a turd rocket has fired its engines to propel this building to outer space. OH WAIT.....the water pressure was fantastic....I mean it's like a fire hydrant, which I love. Tons and tons of water pressure. Loved it. The really bad news, within two minutes, the water was cresting the top of the tub, almost knee level. Great if I was taking a bath and had plugged the tub. What's worse...GREEN WATER standing in the clogged tub with my feet soaking in it.

A quick three calls and half hour wait to the front desk, finally got someone up to fix this pond water in the tub....I quickly found out who the ONLY workers are in this hotel (the scam artist are the people taking the reservations and the robbers are the reception staff taking your money)...it's the engineers. This dude showed up at the door with a hanger and some pliers. After 1-2 minutes, he came out and said, I be back in a few minutes. He came back with a manual plumbing snake and an electric snake. He grinded that thing for over 20 minutes and no water budged. I finally had to leave and he smiled and said, "no worries, by the time you get back it will drain perfectly". I cant imagine having a commercial grade electric snake working for 20 minutes and not have the clog cleared. I did ask him about the the green water and he said, sometime you have to let the water run for a while for it to clear. Great thought, had i done that, 10th floor and below would have been a little leaky.

The air didn't work, option was to open the window. TV didn't work....you turn it on.....it just doesn't come on.....you forget about it and about 20 minutes later it's blaring loud and scares the crap out of you. Called the front desk again and after a different engineer gave the TV a good beating...it worked again.

For my business travels, I like to say that I only really care about safety and cleanliness. This one is neither!

If you stay here after reading the reviews, YOU'RE A COMPLETE IDIOT, or homeless. If you're like me and reading the reviews from your room, enjoy and get a good laugh because you booked it too!!!!!

Any suggestions on the best techniques for a delousing?

Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

This is the most disgraceful hotel I have ever stayed in. My room featured a 30 inch tube TV set on an 18" high table. The walls had empty picture hooks and cracked and pealing paint. The carpet was stained and the room had a distinct odor. The tub was worn down to the iron base and rusting. About 50% of the grout in the tub was missing and there was black mold on the walls and around the base. The toilet was tiny and tucked into a corner, blocked by the paper holder such that a child could not sit properly. The hallways had missing plaster in dozens of places with chips on the floors. The entrances to every room looked like someone had chiseled the paint off. Rust on the locks and door frames.

Met a lady in the foyer on our floor who was freaking out because she was itching everywhere and said she saw bugs in her bed. I left a towel on the floor after using it only to find that housekeeping took the wet towel, folded it and put it back on the towel rack.

I felt better sleeping in my son's frat house!

Room Tip: This hotel is the ultimate bait and switch. The lobby and the conference area on the 18th floor are...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Pennsylvania New York? Share your experiences!