There's "value" and then there's just plain Thievery! The only positive comments on this hotel, say the hotel is in a great location. Quite honestly, the dirt this hotel sits on is a great location...the hotel itself plummets property value. This place should be condemned and imploded ASAP!
When the taxi cab driver laughs at you because you're staying at Hotel Pennsylvania that should be your first clue this is going to be an adventure. Check in was fast, non-eventul. I was amazed we were not "welcomed" to the hotel but I am sure the receptions staff looks at each guest as the next pissed off guest and I can only imagine the numerous trips people take back to the reception to ask if this is some kind of joke!
So let the adventure start......you walk to the elevator, where a security person sits with a sign stating you must show your room key to proceed. I have been in and out of the hotel no less than 12 times and they could give a crap who's going anywhere. Who cares anyway because once you get to your room, you have a fantastic steel door half rusted off the hinges which was "built on this very location in 1919" as the sign states as you slide your card key in to open. I was wonder if the key card was necessary, if I should just give it a little push to open it. The 1970 appointments in the room are rather lavish. Can you ever really get enough of that gold, green and rust color? The carpets are amazing. Listen, they have not been vacuumed or cleaned since 1970 - so I am hoping they went with brown carpets (otherwise, look out).
The bathroom is really nice. It appears the interior decorator found some rusty steal at the bottom of the ocean and said, "Wow this would make a great door jam for the bathrooms at the hotel". The vanity light looks like someone purchased it from a salvage yard for $0.50. When you flush the toilet, it sounds like a turd rocket has fired its engines to propel this building to outer space. OH WAIT.....the water pressure was fantastic....I mean it's like a fire hydrant, which I love. Tons and tons of water pressure. Loved it. The really bad news, within two minutes, the water was cresting the top of the tub, almost knee level. Great if I was taking a bath and had plugged the tub. What's worse...GREEN WATER standing in the clogged tub with my feet soaking in it.
A quick three calls and half hour wait to the front desk, finally got someone up to fix this pond water in the tub....I quickly found out who the ONLY workers are in this hotel (the scam artist are the people taking the reservations and the robbers are the reception staff taking your money)...it's the engineers. This dude showed up at the door with a hanger and some pliers. After 1-2 minutes, he came out and said, I be back in a few minutes. He came back with a manual plumbing snake and an electric snake. He grinded that thing for over 20 minutes and no water budged. I finally had to leave and he smiled and said, "no worries, by the time you get back it will drain perfectly". I cant imagine having a commercial grade electric snake working for 20 minutes and not have the clog cleared. I did ask him about the the green water and he said, sometime you have to let the water run for a while for it to clear. Great thought, had i done that, 10th floor and below would have been a little leaky.
The air didn't work, option was to open the window. TV didn't work....you turn it on.....it just doesn't come on.....you forget about it and about 20 minutes later it's blaring loud and scares the crap out of you. Called the front desk again and after a different engineer gave the TV a good beating...it worked again.
For my business travels, I like to say that I only really care about safety and cleanliness. This one is neither!
If you stay here after reading the reviews, YOU'RE A COMPLETE IDIOT, or homeless. If you're like me and reading the reviews from your room, enjoy and get a good laugh because you booked it too!!!!!
Any suggestions on the best techniques for a delousing?
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A great location doesn't have to be out of reach. New York's Hotel Pennsylvania is in the heart of Midtown Manhattan, and our surprisingly affordable rates leave more money in your pocket to enjoy the city.Each day our guests hit the streets and arrive at fabulous New York City locales within minutes. Marvel at the Empire State Building, savor exciting Times Square and take in a Broadway show or, hop on the subway right by the hotel and head to one of NYC's diverse and exciting neighborhoods. Just steps away from Midtown's most popular attractions, and offering countless easy transportation options, New York's Hotel Pennsylvania puts you in the middle of the action. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, TravelClick, Priceline, Orbitz, HotelTravel.com, Cheap Tickets, Odigeo, Agoda, Cancelon, Hotels.com, getaroom.com and Low Cost Holidays so you can book your Hotel Pennsylvania New York reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pennsylvania New York
- Pennsylvania Hotel Nyc
- Hotel Pennsylvania Nyc
- Hotel Pennsylvania New York City
- Hotel New Pennsylvania York