“Bedbugs, rude management” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pennsylvania New York

You added Hotel Pennsylvania New York to your Saves list
Hotel Pennsylvania New York
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   401 Seventh Avenue at 33rd Street, New York City, NY 10001 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #384 of 459 Hotels in New York City
“Bedbugs, rude management”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011 via mobile

stayed in december2011 room 1570. All was fine, had three bedroom three bathroom suite. At 130am we found bedbugs crawling across two of the beds. Took pics, called manager. Manager came up said he didnt see anything but moved our room anyhow. Had to sleep on roll out cart in a dinky room th at had not beed cleaned, as there was hair in sink and cheerios on floor. It was disgusting. The whole experience was terrible and even though we were downgraded due to bedbugs they refused to give any money back until the exterminator came and would only reimberse us if the bugs were in fact bedbugs. Wouldnt matter if they were ants, fleas or mites, no money back. Ive been coming to new york for years and never had such a crappy experience. DO NOT STAY HERE. Location is great but its not worth it

• Stayed December 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (814)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011 via mobile

So we came here on a school trip with 25 high school kids. The first night one of the rooms had be bugs and they had to change rooms at 3 in the morning. A day later they tested the room and it came back positive for bugs. That same next day a girl in our group in the next room had bites and rashes all over her. They were already in a tiny room. They then got moved into a room that couldn't even fit 2 suitcases. We only had 1 towel and we called down. We didn't get them. After calling 5 times and 3 hours later we got towels. This is honestly the grossest hotel. DO NOT COME HERE!!!!!!!!

• Stayed November 2011
Limerick, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011 via mobile

Adequate clean no frills, but I would stay again. Make sure to check out well before 12 as they will bill another night if a minute over. 4 dollar charge to hold luggage on arrival before 3pm and that's per bag. Great location just great. Staff were nice I thought.

• Stayed November 2011
Hertford
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

My friend and I stayed here on a shopping Trip and booked before reading these reviews. All I can say is that I am not fussy in the least and wasn't planning on spendnig time in the room (hence us going there for shopping) but what I can say is, pay an extra $50.00 and stay elsewhere.

We stayed on the 3rd floor in room 313 - It's haunted and I don't believe in ghosts.
The ceiling was hanging off with paint and plaster
The Light switches plug sockets are not safe for any human
Carpets and bedding smell of mould
Bed bugs on my friends bed
The bathroom is beyond vile - rust/dirt/stench
Noisy from every angle
Zero sleep in 3 days and lived on redbull
Try to move rooms and that failed
Tried to move hotel and that failed

I REPEAT DO NOT STAY - WORSE THAN ANYTHING I'VE EVER STAYED IN!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

When you enter the hotel, the lobby is new and nicely decorated. This is very deceiving, as the room are not. We stayed on the 7th floor and the rooms look NOTHING like the pictures portrayed on the website. I am sure these rooms do exist somewhere in the hotel. So unless you know the nice floors, beware.

From the minute we exited the elevator I knew it was bad. It was dark and grimy. The carpets and room doors were filthy. The room was also difficult to find. There were no labels of what halls contained which rooms and it was like a maze. When I first entered the room, I was a little grossed out and almost wanted to leave. It just looked run down. The bed was sagging, the furniture was broken, and there was mold and rust throughout the room. The window was wide open and it was freezing in the room. We also couldn't get the heater controls open to even adjust the heat. Everything, including that, had layers of thick paint just slopped on it. We ended up staying since it was only one night, but I would never stay there again. In the morning, I was going to take a shower, but there were many hairs in the tub. So it was obvious it wasn't cleaned.

The only positive I can give this hotel is the location. Right near Penn Station, and the heart of Midtown.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Luanda, Angola
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

If it's your first time in New York, I advise you to look for a hotel near the Times Square, where everything happens. This was the main reason why we've chosen Pennsylvania. The hotel is located in front of (literaly!) Penn Station, on the 7th Av. and 10 minutes walking distance from some of the main spots.

Regarding the hotel service, if you are looking for a pleasant place, with a nice service and a neat and comfortable room... forget Pennsylvania!

We've paid a little more for a room "Penn 5000", with breakfast included, thinking that we would have a bigger room but I can tell you that the only thing big in there was the furniture! Furthermore, the breakfast room was a standard room size for, what it seemed to me, a all floor, with only 4 tables...

Hotels are expensive in New York, but I can guarantee you that this is not a "great value" for its service, only for its location!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Marshalltown, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

I stayed here in Feb of 2011. I had read all the reviews ahead of time and was a bit freaked out. When I got there after a 6 hour plane ride and a motion sick Taxi ride from the airport I was in a bad mood and felt like crap. But I walked in with my bags and did have to wait in line for a while to get my key. I went up to my floor and was a bit freaked out. The hall ways are scary and you think a ghostly little girl will pop out at anytime. I got to my room and it did smell like smoke but I was ok with that seeing as I am a smoker. I checked the sheets and bed for bed bugs and stains and I found none. The bathroom was so so. It was clean but really outdated. The shower had good temp and pressure. The sheets where changed daily and the room cleaned. I had no issue with staying here. I am 26 and have been around the world It was just as good as some of the hostiles I stayed at in downtown paris. I would recomend if you do not mind non flashy things and needed a place to stay that is close,cheap and you wont spend a ton of time in. Nothing wrong with this hotel other then what I said. Yes It does need some help but it is going to be demolished soon sadly :(

Room Tip: Make sure to understand the deposit refunds. You can wait over a month to get the money back and the...