“Arrived to a building shut down!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Urban Oasis

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Urban Oasis
Save Saved
You added Urban Oasis to your Saves list
5 West 31st St, New York City, NY 10001 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #16 of 96 New York City B&B and Inns
“Arrived to a building shut down!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We were looking forward to a shared accom in NYC, but were greeted with notices on the door of building inspections and urgent building work. I am not sure if it is a political thing going on in NY trying to shut down potentially cool places like this and make everyone use traditional hotels, or if the building was falling apart, who knows. The manager there was helpful in getting us into a nearby hotel at no extra cost and took us there which was good. The business has probably shut down now anyway.

Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2014

2 family members booked for Sept 2014 in Feb 2014 for 14 night stay. Upon arrival they were told "due to a building inspection, work has to be carried out for building compliance and they cannot stay there". They then had to find somewhere on-the-spot! This is totally unacceptable! a$2,430k accom quote has now turned out to be a $6,000K accommodation bill due my family haveing to find something virtually on the spot. It was and is Urban Oasis's inability to contact my family to say they had to find alternate accom. Urban Oasis would have know months ago BUT did nothing to allow my family to find alternate accom at an affordable price with advance warning. Short of finding a cardboard box and staying under the Brooklyn Bridge what else can you do??!! Things happen, I know BUT it is good business, common courtesy, a duty of CARE to advise people of changes. People will tell people and rest assured I have been telling many people of the debacle. As for the deposit I dont know if they will get that back as they aren't back in Australia until early October. BE WARNED!! I am one voice in a sea of positive experiences and did you find this review helpful, I don't know. I do know that I am unable to get in contact with Urban Oasis via email so I have taken to Trip Advisor to "share" my experience.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2014

Great location, very easy to find from the directions they gave us on the welcome email.

Nice touches like the lists of things to do, markets and places to eat.

the girls never stopped cleaning the communal areas, was spotless. The Netflix was a great touch, used it most nights.

One slight grumble was i needed some washing doing, you aren't able to use the machines yourself and they charged $20 for one bag, bit steep.

But apart from that was perfect, would stay again definately

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Ilfracombe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2014 via mobile

Was all set to stay here in Oct only to receive an email from them today informing me that they are cancelling our booking as they have to cease trading, a full refund was given along with some recommendations for other local hotels.

Rating based purely on communication we've had with hotel.

Stayed October 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

This the best hostel I´ve ever been to. And I´m not exaggerating. And it was a surprise. I´ve been to New York before and stayed at a crappy hostel. New York is famous for their crappy, dirty hostels. But this was something different. It´s clean and it feels like home. The best thing is the staff! I hade some problems with a package and they help me fix it, they helped me do some calls. And they are very friendly and service minded!
If you´re going to New York, try to make a reservation here!

//Elin, Sweden

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

This place is amazing!
We spent one week there and were absolutely excited about the Urban Oasis.
The location is just perfect, the Empire State Building (~5min by foot) is only three blocks away, the next metro stop is only one block away.
Room was basic, but what else than a bed do you need in NYC?! It was clean and the bed was comfortable. Only little minus whas that the window didn't close properly, so it was quite noisy sometimes and we had to turn on the heating because of the low temperatures outside.
There are two shared bathrooms per floor and we never had a situation where both of them were occupied.
The fully equipped kitchen can save you a lot of money if you choose to cook you dinner there and it also comes with free Tea and Coffee.

All that taken into account, it's incredibely good value for the money and i will definitely stay there again on my next trip to NYC!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Cardiff
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

The lofts are split into floors so only 5 room on each floor, so it's like renting an apartment.

We had the small room which was fine (having lived in a shoebox in London it was plenty big enough for me) but we hung out in the communal areas mostly.

They have a big flat screen tv with Netflix for your quiet evenings. Free wifi. Lots of guide sheets for the city and a cool atmosphere!

Everything is super modern and really clean! I would stay again in a heart beat!!!

If you do stay try keko's and Penelope's for breakfast both Divine!!! :)

• Stayed July 2014

Been to Urban Oasis? Share your experiences!