“Fantastic view ” 4 of 5 stars
Review of ONE UN New York

You added ONE UN New York to your Saves list
ONE UN New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   One United Nations Plaza, 44th Street (Between First and Second Avenue), New York City, NY 10017-3575 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Book Now & Save up to 20%
Ranked #330 of 464 Hotels in New York City
“Fantastic view ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Stayed on the 31st floor with a view of East River and skyline - fantastic! The room was quite big, but the beds narrow compared to other US hotels I have stayed in.
By the looks (and price!)of it, it's a luxury hotel, but it seems a little "worn" for almost 300$ per night.

Was a bit disppointed that we had to pay for wifi (12.95$ per device per day), and that there was no complementary coffee. And in our room there was visible dust.
Small things maybe, but for a luxury hotel I expected more.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
ONEUNNewYork, Guest Relations Manager at ONE UN New York, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for providing us with both your positive feedback and constructive criticism we can learn from. I am glad to hear that you were able to witness our sweeping city views! Please accept my apologies for the dissatisfaction you experienced with the condition of the room. We are currently renovating our East Tower at ONE UN New York in an effort to better meet guest expectations; modernizing the entire property in keeping with the times. We hope you return and give us the chance to share this new guest experience with you!

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I plan to write another review once our stay here in complete but I am so impressed by the service so far provided by Erica K. Carla C and Sheldon S. As a transplant to NYC I have often had guests and family come to visit. I generally have found a local hotel or had the guests stay in my house. Never again! The service here is impeccable and friendly and I'm so pleased with my experiences so far I plan to always in the future use ONE UN New York for all my guests.

Like many New Yorkers, visiting guests are often on vacation while we are working. After dealing with several different hotels in attempting to set up a reservation both through third party sites and calling direct, I was pleasantly surprised to see that with the staff at ONE UN New York, emails were promptly returned within a half an hour, phone wait time was generally less than three minutes and faxes were received and processed with ease. This very much reassures me that my guests, who will be checking in without me, are in good hands.

Other perks if you are considering staying here are simple but meaningful when you want to plan a nice vacation or staycation. The location of the hotel and the high floors mean that the guests will not be bothered with traffic noise as they sleep. In addition, the views are such a fantastic part of the experience worth that alone. When exploring a booking at the Waldorf Astoria I was told they couldn't guarantee even a window in the room. Let alone a view!!

Be sure to stay in the West Tower, when I booked originally through a third party site, it simply put me in the East Tower. So call to be sure you are upgraded before arrival.

My experience in just booking the reservation has had me walking around with a giant smile on my face and an extra beat in my step for the last two days. After two weeks of a grinding work schedule one of my friends actually said to me, "Wow, what's going on with you, you are in such a great mood these days!" And I realized that it was because of the service I received from the staff. Good customer service can make the difference between a good experience and an excellent one. Just wanted to take the time to thank the Staff here for being so absolutely fantastic! Thank you again, especially Sheldon S. You have made a repeat customer out of me!

Room Tip: Be sure to upgrade to the West Tower. Third party travel sites give you a cheaper rate but it is i...
Dear Valued Guest,

What a wonderful review! I am delighted to hear our staff at ONE UN New York has been able to assist you in such a way that has kept a smile on your face and pep in your step! Thank you for acknowledging key members of our team and their efforts to make your experience as stress and worry free as possible. We love being your choice hotel in NYC and look forward to welcoming you and your guests back time and time again!

Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I stayed here last week in the East Tower. Whilst the location was great, the rooms are in need of maintenance work and far below the standard expected in a 4 star hotel. It also did not take long to figure out that this was a very old property needing some serious refurbishment and rework.

One kept hearing rattling noises whenever the air-conditioning was switched on. Needless to say, this made my sleep disturbed and I requested a room change after my first night. The staff were not very accommodating of my request and could certainly do better with training in hospitality and having 'courteous' conversations. I was told that my room was the largest queen room, even though a cursory examination of floor plan on the fire evacuation map suggested that my room was no bigger than most rooms on the floor. There were two smaller rooms on each floor (the ones ending in 9 and 10) and I was offered these smaller rooms instead. Quite a poor way to address guest inconvenience! The smaller room's layout was particularly bad. For example the TV faced a blank wall whilst the bed and the sofas pointed towards another direction. Eventually, the reception agreed to get the vents in my room serviced. This did nothing to remove the rattling noise and the reception refused to offer ear plugs to assist with the inconvenience.

There were other maintenance issues as well. There were two phones in the room, one did not work and one would be lucky to get a sentence across with the other phone. The lights in the bathroom were noisy and the exhaust vents in the bathroom could do with some cleaning. Some of the fittings in the ceiling were falling apart.

Fortunately, I was busy with business meetings all day and did not have to spend much time in the hotel. Even then I would book another hotel next time.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms ending with 9 or 10. The East Tower is very old and make sure you are happy with the roo...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
ONEUNNewYork, Guest Relations Manager at ONE UN New York, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

It’s always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests as all feedback is extremely important in helping us grow. Thank you for providing us with better insight into guest care and needs. Please accept my sincere apologies for the dissatisfaction you experienced with our Front Office and East Tower accommodation. Please rest assured the issues you noted in your comments have been addressed directly with the Housekeeping, Maintenance and Front Office teams. I am happy to report we are in the process of renovating ONE UN New York. At this time our West Tower has been completed and we are commencing renovation on our East Tower this winter. We hope to have you return to our property and experience the brand new, modern, and fresh ONE UN New York!

Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Overpriced, telephone does not work, lock does not work, I have currently a "security" guy in the room fixing the lock, we came from swimming and could not get in. Now someone is coming for the phone. There is no privacy because everything is broken and people keep going in and out of your room fixing things. They could not get in to clean, because cleaners keys did not work either. The sauna does not work at the pool. You share the pool with pre-schoolers swim classes and it is open only from 7 to 11 AM and 3-6 PM. Be prepared to pay 34 dollars for your breakfast and deal with a rude staff. There is no free internet you pay for it. The West tower is supposedly better but they charge you 100 dollars extra if you ask for a room in there. Terrible and inconvenient. The hotel is away from all the attractions, better book something close to Times Square for the same price.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms here, if you ask for West Tower you pay extra 100 dollars per night.
Dear Valued Guest,

I regret to hear that this is the impression and experience we left you with at ONE UN New York and am truly sorry we did not meet your expectations. I can assure you as soon as we are made aware of an issue we do our best in taking action to resolve it in a timely manner. Thank you for sharing your constructive criticism; your attention to detail is greatly valued and your concerns will be addressed and reviewed by the appropriate departments. Please be advised, we are in the process of renovating our property and hope to have the East Tower equipped with brand new furnishings, carpet, wallpaper and bathroom facilities this winter. Going forward, we would love the opportunity to have you stay with us again and provide you with a more favorable experience.

Bergen, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

A friend and I stayed at this hotel for 10 days in the beginning of July 2014. Our room in the east tower was far from what we expected in a four star hotel (more like a 2 or 3 star hotel, but they often compensate with better service!). The view was nice, the size of the room was ok and the beds were good, but that’s all we can put on the positive side. The wing we stayed in was very worn and outdated. Carpets flat with dirt in the hall! Cleanliness could have been better when we arrived but became partly unacceptable during our stay. The lighting was dodgy, actually unsafe! Almost every time we switched on a lamp it was flickering or not working. There was a big gap between the door and the floor so we heard everything that went on in the hall. The room did not have a fridge, a mini-bar or coffee/ tea facilities. The air condition could not be regulated. Wi-Fi was extra, and the price was outrages!
We had hoped to be able to use the swimming pool, but opening hours was very restricted – opened late and closed early! Hard to combine with any program during the day!
When we had questions or complaints we felt we were looked on as a nuisance. I'm only giving one example...One day when we got back from a long, hot day, the bath tub was covered with something we never left there; a disgusting layer of a greasy, black, hairy tarmac-like stuff that must have come up from the drain. We tried to call the reception, but never got any answer. We then called housekeeping and ended up waking up a sleeping guest in another room. We later learned that this was a known problem. After having taken the trip down from 31st floor to ask for someone to clean the bathtub, we were met with an indifferent and arrogant attitude. The woman who received our request didn’t even look at my friend as she spoke, and afterwards she only answered, in a dry tone: “anything else?”
We asked to have a coffeemaker brought to our room, and got one! A rickety “plaything” it seemed. After the first day we had to ask for new coffee and cups every day, and that meant going down to the reception, as the phone never was answered and the housekeeping was a guest-room.
We will not use this hotel again, it's not worth the price, but hope our review can be of help for the staff to improve service in the future.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for submitting your comments regarding your stay at ONE UN New York. It upsets me greatly to read of your guest experience and interactions with our staff; I extend my sincere apologies to you and your friend. Your attention to detail is greatly appreciated and comments allow us to re-evaluate our procedures communicating more effectively as a team to better accommodate guest needs and meet expectations. We are continuously reviewing guest suggestions and implementing them whenever possible in an ongoing quest to reach the highest level of hospitality service. We would love the opportunity to leave you with a better impression and show you what ONE UN New York is truly about!

Eastbourne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Great hotel. Perfect for access to Broadway and shopping trip. The hotel was dressed up for Christmas with a beautiful tree and decorations.

We visited over Thanksgiving, and the atmosphere was fabulous!

The service was fabulous! We would definitely be back!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your review. Your comments sure have brought a smile to our faces. Comments such as yours are the reason we’re committed to provide the best service for our guests. Simply because you deserve the best! Please don’t let it be too long until we welcome you back as our guest!

Kindest Regards,
Erica Kostic
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

We stayed here for 6 nights in the West Tower and had access to the Sky Lounge for breakfast and afternoon teas and drinks whenever we wish to. It was good value for money , the rooms are very generous and the views overlooking the water and Queens was very nice ( compared to looking at concrete buildings like others ) It's amazing how the smallest details and thoughtfulness to service were highlighted by Nicole at the Lounge and Frank who was always helping us out with our Uber taxi bookings , made our stay a much more pleasant one , they are such shining stars for the hotel. As it is located next to the United Nations, security around this area is superb. Everywhere is just a $10 ride to 5th Ave or slightly more to Central Park and Upp East. We will return to stay in the future .

Room Tip: Choose the West Tower as it is newly renovated and good size rooms.
Dear Valued Guest,

I’m grateful for a chance to receive your review. We pride ourselves on high standards of guest relations and we’re always glad to hear positive feedback in that area. I will be sure to share your comments with Nicole and Frank. I’m sure it will put a smile on their face when they learn they’ve elevated your experience. On behalf of the entire team here at ONE UN New York, we hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back as our guest!

Kindest Regards,
Erica Kostic
Guest Relations Manager

Been to ONE UN New York? Share your experiences!