“Make sure you upgrade to the west tower...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of ONE UN New York

You added ONE UN New York to your Saves list
ONE UN New York
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   One United Nations Plaza, 44th Street (Between First and Second Avenue), New York City, NY 10017-3575 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #314 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Toronto, Canada
“Make sure you upgrade to the west tower...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

...and your experience will be just fine. I booked a King room through Expedia but after reading reviews I knew in my gut that we would be in the east tower and sure enough upon check-in that's what we were assigned. I was initially told they were sold out in the west tower but I could upgrade to the west tower for $80/night (same room but included breakfast, internet, etc.) or pay $120/night for a 1-bedroom suite with breakfast, internet, evening hors d'oeuvres and cocktails and all-day refreshments. We went for the 1BR suite. BEST. DECISION. EVER. Our room was massive by NYC standards, had 1.5 bathrooms and a glorious view. The complimentary food and drinks were pretty good and no problems with the internet. The reason I'm not giving the ONE UN a 5 is because you can tell the rest of the hotel is pretty tired. For us the staff service was fine because you were pretty much left alone and weren't forced to make small talk (although one employee in the lobby had a very loud and serious belching problem). I could see other people perceiving the service as inattentive or discourteous, but it depends on what you're looking for. We're not the type to require schmoozing or catering by hotel staff. Overall a good experience.

Room Tip: Shell out the extra dough for the west tower.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
ONEUNNewYork, Guest Relations Manager at ONE UN New York, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for sharing your comments with us. We certainly are proud of our newly renovated West Tower. As for our team members, I would like to request that you please reach out to me directly so that I may address the particulars. I can be reached at Erica.Kostic@millenniumhotels.com

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Nice location in the right area some great views the pool is a massive let down as is the Sauna which was broken for guys- yes they separate guys and girls. Wifi wasn't free when paying $750 for 3 nights you'd expect these as basic amenities and the front desk was under staffed so long waits. having said that staff were friendly lobby is very nice rooms were of a good quality too!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
ONEUNNewYork, Guest Relations Manager at ONE UN New York, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

It’s always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and I thank you for taking a moment to share your comments with us. Our West Tower accommodation offer complimentary Wi-Fi. You may want to consider one of these rooms for your next stay. As for the staff member, we’re glad they were able to elevate the experience. We pride ourselves on high standards of guest relations and it’s wonderful to know they have reflected that for your stay. Please contact me at Erica.Kostic@millenniumhotels. I am here to ensure the comfort of your stay.

Hopkinton
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

It started off badly at the front desk and only got worse from there. I was greeted with a grunt and was told that my room was not ready. Instead of taking down my phone number and offering to call me when my room was ready ( like every other hotel does) I was told to "keep checking back" Over an hour later my room was finally ready, and off I went. When I got up to my room, 36'th floor in the East tower I found that the A/C was turned off, which was add since it was really hot in the room. I quickly figured out why this was the case. Upon turning on the A/C I was greeted with a rumbling sound akin to sitting in an airplane right next to the engine. When I called the front desk asking to be moved to a different room I was told that there are no rooms available and someone would come up to take a look at my issue. 10 minutes later someone from housekeeping showed up and asked me "What is the problem" Once I explained to them, (over the noise of the rumbling) she told me that she was told that the room was not clean and there is nothing that she can do for the noise. She then called someone on the phone and asked them maintenance to come up. 30 minutes later, and nursing a major migrane from the rumbling noise I finally gave up waiting and called the front desk one more time. This time, after once again being told there are no rooms available, I asked and was transferred to the manager. After spending 5 minutes on hold I was greeted with a "Yeah". I asked if this was the manager and was told "Yeah I am the night manager what is going on" After spending another 5 minutes explaining what I now explained to 3 people the night manager interrupted me and asked " is that the loud noise I am hearing over the phone" (imagine how bad it must be if it was interfereing with a phone conversation. 5 more minutes on hold and I was told " Well I will have to bump someone else to give you a new room, but fine" Off I got to a new room. Guess what I hear as soon as I walk in - YUP the same darn A/C noise. This time I took matter into my own hands. Took the room -service menu and showed it into the A/C grate to stop the noise (it did not fix it completely, but made it better - see pics) Next was time to fix the bed. Every time I moved on it, the bed sounded like it was about to fall apart. Had to tighten all the legs, and shove things under the broken ones (see pics)
Overall this was the worst room/service/experience I had at a hotel. I am not sure how the new tower is, but the east tower that I stayed in is awfull. It is old, run down (see more pics) and needs a complete gut job.

Room Tip: Stay in the new tower, do not stay in the old one!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
ONEUNNewYork, Guest Relations Manager at ONE UN New York, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

I’m quite concerned to read your comments. Please reach out to me directly at Erica.Kostic@millenniumhotels.com so that I may look into the particulars.

Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

I first stayed at One UN New York, then the UN Plaza, in 1983. It has become my New York "go to" hotel ever since. My most recent stay was the week before last. My brother accompanied me on the trip; and he had never stayed at the hotel.

We were originally booked in the East tower. Frankly, I was disappointed; the East tower is sore need of renovation, although the views of downtown, uptown, and the East River were great. However, in typical fashion, the extremely efficient staff did everything necessary to improve our experience. We were moved to the West tower, which has been beautifully renovated. Our suite was outstanding, with unbelievable views. (Imagine waking up each morning with a view of the Empire State Building, and going into the living room with a view of the UN, East River, and the World Trade each day.) The staff from the front desk to housekeeping were extremely attentive to our needs.

Unfortunately, our business in New York extended longer than planned, and the hotel was full, so we had to move. My brother was disappointed fir two reasons: First, we had to move, and secondly, because the new hotel was not One UN.

Thanks again for a great experience.

trequer

Room Tip: Definitely stay in the West tower. The East tower needs to be renovated.
Dear Valued Guest,

I’m grateful for your review and I thank you for sharing your comments with us. I regret to learn that you were not able to extend your stay with us. During your dates of stay, our hotel experienced high occupancy levels. I’m sorry that you did not find the East tower to your satisfaction however, it’s wonderful to know that our staff members accommodated you to your liking. We pride ourselves on high standards of guest relations and it’s always thrilling to hear positive feedback in that area. For your next stay, please contact me directly and I would be delighted to ensure your next stay exceeds your expectations. I can be reached at Erica.Kostic@millenniumhotels.com.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

Just checked into the One Un NYC after requesting an upgrade and a king bed in the new West tower four days prior. Was offered to upgrade for $100 (by email) but declined. The East wing is as described, run down.. we were also given two full beds.. thanks for not honoring any of our requests... photos will be attached. This is my second Nyc Priceline purchase where the rooms do not live up to 4 star quality. I am wondering if buying through Priceline guarantees their worse room? A little disappointed as we are celebrating a romantic weekend away before the chaos of our wedding.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. I’m sorry to hear you did not get the room you expected. With two different types of accommodations, I can assure you we offer our guests with options they can choose from and I’m deeply sorry that you didn’t get to experience the West Tower accommodations. I would very much like the opportunity to welcome you back and redefine your experience. Please contact me directly at Erica.Kostic@millenniumhotels.com for personal assistance.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

Booked through Get-a-Room (which was very smooth and effective and the phone lady was extraordinarily friendly and helpful). The hotel was entirely booked, but Get-a-Room had a room to sell me. Very nice. The West tower is all refurbished and nicely so, except for an unusual item: square toilets. Perhaps the foreign visitors at the UN have square bums? I don't imagine that they do... On the loo, don't lean back for fear of vertebral dislocation.. Not sure what bathroom architect or toilet designer came up with squareness of toilets. Those visitors from the southern hemisphere lose and opportunity to see the reverse Coriolis Effect. Ah well... Great hotel otherwise. EXCELLENT bed.. My review is restricted to the updated West Tower, however... The East Tower I understand has not been updated to the modern square shape of bums.

Room Tip: Choose updated West Tower.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
ONEUNNewYork, Guest Relations Manager at ONE UN New York, responded to this review, May 11, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

We value your opinion and I thank you for sharing your insights with us. I’m glad you had a wonderful visit and that you enjoyed your stay with us. Rest assured your comments have been shared with the rest of the team. Please feel free to contact me directly at Erica.Kostic@millenniumhotels.com for assistance. I look forward to welcoming you back!

LA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Booked a room through Priceline. Had an AMAZING view in a corner room and it was clean. The good stuff stops there.

The lobby is very grand and impressive but our room desperately needed updating. Cabinet doors were coming off hinges, the bathroom sink had a giant crack, the carpet was stained and the room smelled like smoke. Actually, the whole floor smelled like smoke. There was one tiny trashcan in the bathroom to serve the whole room. No ice buckets - had to go down 4 floors to get ice, where they have what appear to be a few disposable popcorn tubs. The staff seems extremely uninterested in being helpful. And the location is not conveniently located to much.

We were there on a weekend so we may have had a different experience had we stayed during the week. Regardless, we stayed at a centrally located, fully updated and wonderfully staffed hotel earlier in our trip for almost the same price and I was wishing we had just stayed there the whole time.

Room Tip: We had a corner room with a great view.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
ONEUNNewYork, Guest Relations Manager at ONE UN New York, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review and for sharing your feedback. I’d like to discuss the particulars with you so that I may look into the specifics. Please contact me at Erica.Kostic@Millenniumhotels.com . I look forward to our correspondence.

Guest Relations Manager

Been to ONE UN New York? Share your experiences!