“Worth it just for the view!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of ONE UN New York

You added ONE UN New York to your Saves list
ONE UN New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   One United Nations Plaza, 44th Street (Between First and Second Avenue), New York City, NY 10017-3575 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #313 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Worth it just for the view!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I think the main photo for this hotel is some what misleading because our room was fairly average (and arguably small even by New York standards). However I don't doubt the hotel possesses such grand rooms particularly given the luxury experienced within the entrance and communal areas.
Storage space was limited although the bath room was of a reasonable size, although we didn't travel to New York to stay in our hotel room! What made it all worth while was the phenomenal view of the Hudson River (which is no exaggeration) whether in day time or at night.
The hotel is located only 5 blocks away from Times Square (around 20 minute walk in which you have to pass Grand Central Station). There are plenty of places to eat and drink nearby whatever direction you head in.
The staff were generally good although some were certainly more friendly and helpful than others.
If you're using any of the hop-on hop-off buses then there is a stop right outside the United Nations building around the corner.
Overall we had a great stay and would definitely return to this hotel given the chance.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
ONEUNNewYork, Manager at ONE UN New York, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience at our property. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our views, entrance, location, and appreciate your nice comment about staff. I look forward to welcoming you both back.

Hotel Manager, One UN New York

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Palmas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I had a business meeting in NY and my wife went with me for a second honey moon. We had a wonderfull time staying at One Un New York. The room is great, with a superb view. Make sure to ask for a room at the new tower. If I am not mistaken it is the West Tower. If you need anything just ask Gul, the head manager, and she will make you fell at home. A great hotel, with the best Head Manager and staff ever.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am happy to hear I could be of help in making your second honeymoon a memorable one, and that you had a wonderful time at our hotel. I look forward to welcoming you and your wife back soon.

Blacksburg, Va
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Located across 1st Avenue from the United Nations, One UN New York is part of the Millennium resorts group. Although the hotel lobby is on street level, the hotel rooms themselves do not begin until the 28th floor. The midtown location, a block from the river, affords views up (towards the Queensboro Bridge) and down the East River, towards the UN or back towards Times Square. My window looked down river if I looked left and to to the right I could see the World Trade Center Freedom Tower and the Empire State Building in the same frame. The location is about a mile from Rockefeller Center. Probably a mile and a half or so from time square. Taxis are easy to catch of course. The area has lots of delis, restaurants, and shops. The mix of food available was as broad as you would expect so close to the UN, the various missions, and those that want to deal with them (consultants, NGOs, etc.). Valet Parking is $48.00 a night with no "in and out." The staff was pleasant, the room clean and roomy. No in room perks such as coffee pot, microwave, refrigerator, etc. Bed was great, good selection of pillows, quiet. Internet was $12.99 for 24 hours ;-(

Room Tip: The hotel has two towers. I stayed in the older - "One UN' tower. It had obviously be renov...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from your recent stay at ONE UN New York. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the fantastic views from our spacious guest rooms as well as our great location in close proximity to many of the local NYC restaurants and attractions. I look forward to welcoming you back to ONE UN New York.

Weston, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

My husband booked this hotel and I didn't read the reviews until the night before. I was very worried about the East Tower and knew that's where we'd probably end up. Sure enough, when we checked in the West Tower was sold out and we had to stay in the East Tower. We were happy to be able to check in early and the front desk clerk was efficient and friendly. Other reviewers talked about how nice the lobby is and I didn't agree. It's all green marble and mirrors and looks very dated.

The very first thing I noticed in our room was a chair at the far end under the windows that was in extremely poor condition. Then I noticed the dirty (on the inside) windows. I could tell that the room once would have looked nice with it's contemporary furnishings. The room is quite large for NYC, which is a plus.

It was so hard to get past the gross room. I just felt it was dirty and wore my flip flops the whole time. The walls were dirty and there were water stains and wallpaper was peeling in the bathroom. The bathroom looked dingy and unclean and outdated.

As others had said, there was no refrigerator, which I didn't expect, but I did think the website said the rooms had a coffee maker and fixings, which it didn't. My kids watched The Disney Channel, which was nice that they offered, but the show kept pausing. I don't know if that was a channel, TV or cable problem.

It's rare to find a pool at a hotel in the city and the kids were happy to have one here. Unfortunately, the pool hours are extremely limited. You can't come back from a day of site seeing and swim because the pool is closed. I'm assuming this is because they have a lifeguard/attendant that they have to pay. It's nice to have someone there, but I wouldn't count on him to watch your kids. I always watch my kids like a hawk in pools and was happy to know there was a guard. However, he would go away and come back with more towels and then he'd be looking at his smart phone or on the phone.

My daughter cut her leg on something on the inside of the pool. I was glad he was there with some bandages. He also suggested I make a report. Someone came a half an hour later for me to file a report. I'm not sure what good that will do, but I hope at least they will check out the area where she was cut and fix it so no one else is hurt. He was friendly enough and brought us some extra bandages and some antiseptic wipes.

As for the pool, it's a decent size for the city and there are plenty of chairs around it. The view is great. However, the pool looked dirty. The sides of the pool are white and there is a dingy, dirty line above the waterline. My kids had fun and didn't notice, but I didn't love that.

We liked that we had a room on the 35th (3513) floor and did have a good view of the river. There is a construction project directly across from where our room was, which wasn't great. I would ask about a room that was on a different side so you don't have to look at scaffolding. It's also very quiet that high up, which is nice in a city that doesn't sleep.

I felt the attention to detail wasn't there. For example, in the bath amenities, there were two body washes, but no shampoo.

I called Saturday night to see if we could get a late check out on Sunday. I was told that I could call back after noon the next day to see if they could accommodate it as the hotel was full. I thought it was nice that it was even an option they would consider, but after noon would have been after check out. Noon for check out is great compared to 11 in many hotels.

The beds are doubles and are very small for us, but we made do. I didn't like, though, that whenever someone moved I heard the coils or something making noise. I didn't get a good night sleep.

The elevators got bogged down a few times and it took a long time to get an elevator. This was especially true when going to the pool and only having two elevators that went to the 27th floor from our floor.

The bell staff was good and we were able to store our bags upon check out and then retrieve them later with no problem. The new coffee bar looked nice.

As I said, overall it was ok, not great. We go into the city every few months and I usually do the booking and will take over that responsibility again. I probably wouldn't stay here again unless I was guaranteed of staying in the West Tower

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at ONE UN New York. I would like to have the opportunity to personally discuss your stay with you and can be reached at gul.turkmenoglu@millenniumhotels.com.

Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Thanks to TripAdvisor I booked our reservation with a 25% off for our stay coming to a great deal. I did the reservation through the hotel website directly and they offer me to reserve 1 Superior Room for our family of 5 (2 adults and 3 children). When I called the front desk prior to our arrival to request for a roll away bed they wanted to cancel the reservation arguing that it was not possible for all of us to stay in one room and they wouldn't allow us to check in. But it was their own reservation system that offered that room for our group! After I reached out to the manager we ended up getting a free upgrade to a One Bedroom Duplex Suite that was nothing compared with the pictures, with trash on the floor, cookie crumbs inside of the pull out sofa plus a smoking room. Only good thing was the kind of updated bathroom. When checking out there was a line of people with complains of their reservations. Be aware if you plan to stay here, it is now a 4 star hotel.

Fredericksburg, Va
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was nice. We had free wi fi, free breakfast buffet, and free happy hour which was unexpected. We were in the west tower which was spacious and had a nice view of the city. It's in walking distance to time square but being on 1 ave adds a few extra blocks. Overall I had an excellent stay. This hotel has a very international feel.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from your recent stay. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our spacious guest rooms, fantastic views, our proximity to many of the NYC attractions, and all the amenities associated with the West Tower. I look forward to welcoming you back to ONE UN New York.

Dana Point, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Opposite the UN and overlooking the east river [if you are lucky enough to get a river view room] this hotel is as spirited and diplomatic as its neighbors.People at the front desk, especially Fred and Dani, could not be more helpful or friendly, and the neighborhood is quiet but in close proximity to many second and third avenue eateries, near the grand library and Bryant Park, one of my favorite places, and a long but easy walk to the theater district. The rooms are large and comfortable, although in the older wing, a little worn, but good beds and bedding. I prefer stall showers to old tubs but I imagine they will get to that. A/c was quiet, which is important to me, and had a great rooftops view. I hear the new [west] wing is gorgeous, very posh, also way over my budget, but even the east wing was a great value for the money, which was booked through Bookings.com. Enjoy.

Room Tip: We had two rooms and the King room was nicer and had a river view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
ONEUNNewYork, Hotel Manager at ONE UN New York, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay at ONE UN New York. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the spacious guest rooms, the gorgeous views, our location to many of the local attractions NYC has to offer, and appreciate your nice comments about our staff. I look forward to welcoming you back at ONE UN New York.

Hotel Manager, One UN New York

Been to ONE UN New York? Share your experiences!