Ok let me start by saying I have been coming to the Sofitel for almost 10 years on pleasure trips to NYC. I am a creature of habit, once I find a suitable Hotel I don't like to change for a number of reasons. The Sofitel's charms for me are as follows:
1. Great Location midtown. Close to both Grand Central, 5th Avenue and the Theatre district.
2. Wonderful Staff. Obviously there can be some poor staff interaction on any given day at any Hotel, and because I come here frequently, I am remembered, so I am a little biased, but I consider the staff here pretty outstanding in general.
3. The Rooms are quiet for NYC, especially high floors. As has been noted the regular rooms are nothing special although few Hotels offer both a Shower AND a bath (a big deal for me ) The Suites, especially the "Skyscraper" suites are great and in many cases not that much more of a premium, and well worth it.
4. The beds are super comfortable and the A/C actually works.
5. The lobby and common areas are elegant and give off that Boutique Hotel feel. This Hotel does not feel like a tourist hotel of any kind. The flower arrangements are outstanding!
The downside? As another reviewer noted, "It is a 4 star Hotel that thinks it is a 5 star"
That comment is not too wide of the mark. The property is 15 years old and while the lobby and common areas ARE elegant, the property overall needs work. Note to management: This COULD be a 5 star Hotel. At least change the carpets.... please! The restaurant and Bar could also use a refresh. As has been noted the restaurant is expensive and nothing special. We usually eat breakfast down the street at the Blue Flame and Dinner elsewhere.
I will continue to stay here, It is my ONLY choice in NYC, but it really is time for some minor improvements.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The ultimate in comfort and convenience, this thirty-story building in midtown Manhattan-a contemporary statement in limestone and glass-is just a stone's throw from Fifth Avenue. The modern-day traveler will enjoy the amenities on offer at this fine establishment, set within easy reach of Manhattan's most celebrated attractions. These include Times Square, Broadway theaters, world-famous restaurants, famous boutiques, art museums and corporate headquarters. Good access to transportation links. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Expedia, ACCOR, Hotels.com, Priceline, Amex, Agoda and Jetsetter so you can book your Sofitel New York reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel New York Hotel New York City
- Sofitel New York City
- New York City Sofitel