“Back again........love it.......but” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Miami, Fl USA
“Back again........love it.......but”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Ok let me start by saying I have been coming to the Sofitel for almost 10 years on pleasure trips to NYC. I am a creature of habit, once I find a suitable Hotel I don't like to change for a number of reasons. The Sofitel's charms for me are as follows:
1. Great Location midtown. Close to both Grand Central, 5th Avenue and the Theatre district.
2. Wonderful Staff. Obviously there can be some poor staff interaction on any given day at any Hotel, and because I come here frequently, I am remembered, so I am a little biased, but I consider the staff here pretty outstanding in general.
3. The Rooms are quiet for NYC, especially high floors. As has been noted the regular rooms are nothing special although few Hotels offer both a Shower AND a bath (a big deal for me ) The Suites, especially the "Skyscraper" suites are great and in many cases not that much more of a premium, and well worth it.
4. The beds are super comfortable and the A/C actually works.
5. The lobby and common areas are elegant and give off that Boutique Hotel feel. This Hotel does not feel like a tourist hotel of any kind. The flower arrangements are outstanding!

The downside? As another reviewer noted, "It is a 4 star Hotel that thinks it is a 5 star"
That comment is not too wide of the mark. The property is 15 years old and while the lobby and common areas ARE elegant, the property overall needs work. Note to management: This COULD be a 5 star Hotel. At least change the carpets.... please! The restaurant and Bar could also use a refresh. As has been noted the restaurant is expensive and nothing special. We usually eat breakfast down the street at the Blue Flame and Dinner elsewhere.

I will continue to stay here, It is my ONLY choice in NYC, but it really is time for some minor improvements.

Room Tip: If you can afford the premium, Skyscraper Suite is the only way to go..........
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (435)
  • Turkish first
yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Had five nights stay at this hotel to celebrate a special Birthday, I emailed in advance to ask for an upgrade and was indeed rewarded with a queensize bedroom on 23rd floor. Reception staff acknowledged my Birthday on check-in and check-out (it would have been nice, though to have received something in the room ie wine, card to make my stay extra special but never mind).
The hotel is in a great position for getting around. The bedroom and bathroom very clean, bed very comfortable and room very quiet - no complaints whatsover.
All staff friendly and polite and when we asked for help getting to subway we received full and helpful instructions. Will definately recommend and would stay at this hotel again if we come to New York in the future

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Wichita Falls, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I guess I expected more based on the trip advisor reviews and expense. The room was small and the view was not great, despite paying for an upgrade. The carpets throughout both public areas and within the room could use s good cleaning. I never saw the carpet in the common areas when I didn't think, "they need to vacuum." The service was very good and attentive. The extras like turndown service, concierge, bellman, etc. were appreciated. But I was never "wowed." And for $400 per night, I guess I expected to be.

Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We had a room on the 22nd floor. It was quiet and met all of our needs including a great mattress and pillows, but it's just a typical small room without any "wow" factors. The bathroom was very small and the shower measures less than 3' x 3' and didn't have a hand held wand. The view was of rooftops and water tanks. The decor is neutral with birdseye "wood" and nice stone. It was clean and safe and the location was mid-town with food and entertainment close by. Gregory's Coffee across the street was excellent. We had to wait until 3 to check in because the room wasn't ready and then we had to wait another 15-20 minutes for our bags. We had arrived at 1 o'clock and the front desk woman who checked us in said she would expedite the room and call my mobile when it was ready but that never happened. They did drop a note under our door on Saturday night to notify us 6th Avenue would be closed for a bike tour on Sunday so we had time to adjust our plans. Overall, it's comfortable but nothing special for the price.

Room Tip: We had 2218 and it was quiet
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
Newton, Mass
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I would give the Sofitel 5 stars if it had been 20% cheaper. This is NOT a 5-star property and has no business having an $800 rack rate that I imagine no one pays anyway. The rooms are fine (very quiet), the bedding is good, the climate control cool enough...but you expect more for the price. We normally stay at the Conrad downtown, which is cheaper, with much larger rooms and more interesting bathrooms and lobby area.

I also somehow dropped $40 for breakfast. The fresh orange juice flowed freely, but the pancakes and hot chocolate were average.

It also took a half-hour to bring the bags up.

Bottom line: you pay a high premium to hear those French accents.

Room Tip: The street is pretty quiet but it is better not to overlook 44th Street. The view is better over 45t...
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled solo
Liverpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

My husband and I stayed here with friends for 5 nights at the end of April. We had a fabulous time here. The location is excellent , within walking distance of a lot of sights. The staff are a credit to the hotel. We had excellent customer service from them all especially Amanda on the front desk. The room was excellent, a decent size with all the extras you need and lovely comfy bed. The only downside is the rooms have no coffee machine. I e-mailed the hotel to request one in our rooms in advance and they obliged in both rooms. All the public areas are beautiful and very relaxing. The lobby always smells gorgeous! We did not eat in the hotel but had a few drinks in the bar. Service was efficient and pleasant but the drinks were on the pricey side compared to UK but I think they're standard for a 5 star NY hotel. I would happily recommend this hotel and if I was ever to visit NY again would stay there myself.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Vincent V, General Manager at Sofitel New York, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear JaneBas,

Thank you for this extremely positive feedback. I am so pleased you, your husband and friends had a lovely vacation. I have passed along your compliments to Amanda whom was happy to serve you during your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Warm Regards,
Vincent
Media, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I recently booked two rooms this week in the Sofitel. One suite with a terrace and a double full bed room. Both rooms were spectacular! The beds were amazingly comfortable and clean. The rooms were well kept. The staff was the best part. Checking out, everyone wanted to help my guests with our bags, even the front desk. The was managers present, and the everyone we interacted with said Hello, or Bonjour, and assisted with such a pleasant smile. I am bringing my whole company back in June to stay because it was so fantastic! Can't wait!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Dear Kate J,

I am glad that you and your company had the most enjoyable stay at the Sofitel New York. I thank you for pointing out our very high level of service. This will serve as an encouragement to all of our ambassadors to keep on providing such standards. Looking forward to welcoming you and your company back soon!

Best Regards,
Vincent

Been to Sofitel New York? Share your experiences!