“Nice rooms, excelllent location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel New York

You added Sofitel New York to your Saves list
Sofitel New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   45 West 44th Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay Longer and Save 20%!
Ranked #69 of 459 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Amsterdam, the Netherlands
“Nice rooms, excelllent location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

Stayed here in May when I asked my long time girlfriend to marry me. Had a corner suite which was nice but not high enough to actually get good views. Large bedroom, separate living and a huge bathroom. Stylish design, more classic than modern. Very good service when making reservations and at check-in. Found some chocolates on the bed upon arrival, nice touch.

Room Tip: We had a cornersuite which was excellent (18th floor) but it was not sufficiently high to get a view...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
GMOffices, General Manager at Sofitel New York, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing such a positive review following your stay at the Sofitel New York.
We are delighted that you enjoyed our staff's professionalism. We are also glad that you enjoyed our comfortable bedroom and the different amenities.
We thank you for choosing the Sofitel New York for this specific occasion.
We look forward to welcoming you again soon at the Sofitel New York for another stay. It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known throughout the world.

Sofitel New York Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Turkish first
Cherry Valley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

When I arrived for my recent stay via yellow cab, a Sofitel employee opened the door of the cab for me and my wife. After a lengthy discussion with the cab driver over the fare, I joined my wife by the hotel door. Unfortunately, no one had taken my suitcase from the trunk of the taxi and the driver sped off with my luggage.

I never did get the luggage back despite the efforts of the hotel security staff. I feel that when I was greeted by a hotel employee, I was in the normally competent hands of the Sofitel staff - not in this case, however. The hote did comp one night's stay but that didn't come close to the value of my luggage.

All of the unpleasant experience could have been avoided if the hotel greeter had simply asked me if I was checking in and did I have luggage. Apparantly, this is not the practice at the Sofitel so travelers had better be on guard when arriving at this otherwise fine hotel. Another 'New York Experience!"

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Sofitel.com

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience following your stay at the Sofitel New York.
Please accept our appologies for the inconvenient you went through because of the doorman. We value your comments and we will take whatever steps we can to correct the problem.

Our goal is to always exceed our guests’ expectation and we look forward to welcoming you again soon at Sofitel New York for another stay.

Fairfield, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

This past weekend I took my daughter and 4 friends into NYC for her 16th birthday. We checked our bags into the hotel early and were excited to spend a day of shopping down in SOHO. A very kind and helpful man named Mark handled our check in. He brought me to look at the rooms to make sure that they would work out for our party of 6, and they were great. The beds are so comfortable. The concierge set up or dinner reservations and taught me how to use the subway. On Sunday morning we had a delicious breakfast at the hotel restaurant. All of our needs were met by very nice and helpful employees at the Sofitel. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
GMOffices, General Manager at Sofitel New York, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Dear Guest,

We are delighted that you had a great experience and that you enjoyed our property and the different amenities we offer.
We thank you for choosing the Sofitel New York for this specific occasion.
We look forward to welcoming you again at Sofitel New York. It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known throughout the world.

Sofitel New York team
England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Stayed for 5 night. We reserved 2 rooms, one luxury and one superior twin. We booked via phone about 5 months in advance asking for a fridge and connecting rooms. We were told not a problem and seemed easy enough.

Arrival at the hotel is welcoming and the interior feels luxurious.

Our first problem came with check in at around 4pm. It turns out they didn't have any connecting rooms ready. We said not a problem, asked if we could leave our luggage and use a travellers restroom (shower, room to change and freshen up) having been travelling for over 12 hours. Apparently they don't have any. Fair enough not all hotels do. We were asked to come back an hour later, so we left our luggage and went to the hotel bar for a drink and to meet some friends.

We returned, got our room key and headed up to the rooms. Two of the three keys didn't work...an annoying thing when travelling but happens often. When we did get in the rooms, we realised they weren't connecting... There was no fridge and, rather surprisingly, absolutely no difference between a luxury and superior..... Despite the price difference. In fact the cheaper superior room was bigger.

The whole look of the hotel and rooms is luxurious, but it feels cheap when you touch anything, like it's all a wipe on glaze. The shower in one our rooms didn't work, neither did the safes (just displayed 'batt' message) and we tried calling down but got constant busy tones. We gave up and decided to make the best of it not wanting our holiday ruined.

The rooms are quiet, with older technology. I liked the Bose system was provided with an aux lead. House keeping does a good job keeping the rooms clean.

The wifi is misleading. It's limited and poor, but free with an option to upgrade to a premium service. I didn't like that they filtered out content like the apple App Store and google play store. Given the pricing to 'unlock' the internet it was cheaper to buy a mifi from a local verizon store.

The air con in the rooms works well and you can open a small section of window for fresh air.

The beds are comfortable, and very soft.

In all, I've stayed at numerous NY hotels, I don't think this is a 5 star hotel, 4 at a push and is definitely over priced compared to the service at others. I will not be staying again.

It just feels like a budget hotel with some extra facilities.

Room Tip: There is no difference between a superior and luxury room. Save your money and go for the superior...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
UK, essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

I stayed at the Sofitel for business for 6 nights. Firstly it is in a prime location for easy access to up and down town although quiet at weekends because its mainly the business area. You gain access on 44th street, in a nice presentable street. There is an easy dinner a few doors down, and some cool funky hotel bars one or two doors up and down when you want to get outside. The entrance is large with a lounge area with seats, sofa and fire place. Concierge is right by the door, which I used twice, the guy was very knowledgable and helpful, the woman wasn't and just made you feel like an inconvenience. Checkin was easy and the staff very helpful at the desk. I asked for the highest floor possible, no problems was the reply and straight to the top. There are 5 lifts and it was easy to get a lift all week, no waiting at all. My room was spacious, clean and very comfortable. Free wifi through out which was not too bad with options to upgrade if needed. The bed was to die for, I never got to hot or cold and I slept well all nights. AC was good, and the room was sound proofed well. TV with lots of channels and a BOSE radio, light controls all around the room and a small window that opened for fresh air. The bathroom was nice, plenty opt space, bath and walking shower and free water during my stay. I even spilt some coffee one night, no problems house keeping said and it was freshly cleaned within an hour. In the morning, pop downstairs for free tea and coffee, it would of been good to be told about this however I did stumble across it. Breakfast was nice, a little pricey as expected but service was excellent and food was very good. I used the bar in the evenings which had good vibe, and was always busy, sometimes a little too much! :) There is a well equipped gym in the basement, towels, water, fruit, radio, TV and TV screens on the cardio machines, free weights and some machines, good enough for a decent work out. On checking out, it was quick and easy and a taxi was called for me... this is a very good hotel, I would stay again and recommend it.

Room Tip: High room....
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
GMOffices, General Manager at Sofitel New York, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Sofitel New York on your recent visit to the city and for taking the time to share your experience. We are delighted to know that you had a pleasant stay with us and that you enjoyed our quiet property, and our amenities. We thank you also for sharing your experience at Gaby Brasserie Française. We really appreciate your feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon at Sofitel New York. It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known throughout the world.

Leesburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

We stayed for three nights for the Superbowl weekend. I was expecting everything to be crazy and the hotels to be overwhelmed, esp the Sofitel given it's proximity to Times Square (fantastic location). It was an oasis of calm. We arrived at 3am Saturday morning due to some car troubles and we had a bell man out helping us within 30 seconds of pulling up. The room (an executive suite) was very large for a NYC room and we had an amazing view of the Chrysler building. AND it was the MOST comfortable bed I have ever slept in AND the room is QUIET - no street noise (that never happens in NYC). We would definitely come back to this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
GMOffices, General Manager at Sofitel New York, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Dear Guest,

We are delighted that you had a great experience and that you enjoyed our very quiet bedroom. All our bedding items are available for purchase on our website.
We look forward to welcoming you again at Sofitel New York . It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known throughout the world.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

The hotel really got the very strategic location as is in between 5th avenue and time square. Walking distance to Grand Central Terminal, Rockefeller, Empire State etc... The hotel is at the quiet side of the street but is still safe to walk late at night. There's also a few restaurant and cafe along the street from mid range to high range if you don't feel like going far to have your breakfast or dinner.
Hotel room is in decent size. Comfy bed, well appointed bedroom and bathroom. The staff were very helpful and attentive as well. Never fail to greet us every time we walk through the lobby and even offer us help before we actually ask.
Overall is really are a good choice of hotel to stay in New York if you want to be close to Time Square yet away from the noise.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We are delighted that you enjoyed our very convenient location in the heart of Manhattan. We are also glad that you enjoyed our comfortable bedroom and the different amenities.

Sofitel New York Team

Been to Sofitel New York? Share your experiences!