“Unforgettable experience.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel New York

Save Saved
You added Sofitel New York to your Saves list
Sofitel New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   45 West 44th Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay Longer and Save 20%!
Ranked #58 of 453 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Guernsey
“Unforgettable experience.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

This was my wife's first trip to NYC and I wanted her to have an oasis to return to after a hard days sight seeing. I have been numerous times before but never stayed in such a luxurious hotel.

I love the Sofitels in the UK with their slightly aloof French attitude and emphasis on style.

This is an Art Deco hotel and is stunningly beautiful inside.

I had booked a suite with a balcony and was apprehensive as we arrived as to whether it would live up to expectations. The hotel website photoessays show a beautiful terrace which my wife , and supposedly lots of guests, think is a roof top bar. It is no such thing it is the terrace for room 2415 the best room in the hotel.

On arrival we were met by Benjamin, Guest Relations Manager. He is a suave, smooth young French manager who was very keen to ensure we enjoyed every aspect of our stay. He is obviously very proud of the hotel especially our room and the terrace.

We were upgraded to free breakfasts each day.

Benjamin showed to our suite and he had personally chosen a beautiful display of flowers for the room.

The suite had a huge bedroom and bathroom with a corridor leading to a lovely lounge and then the three sided terrace which is very secluded and not visible from any other room.

The terrace was huge and gave unprecedented views of the Chrysler Building, Empire State Building, the rock and,surprisingly, my wife's firms HQ in NYC.

We were provided with complimentary water and chocolates every day. The breakfasts were excellent. See my review of Gaby's restaurant for details of breakfasts.

The room was kept immaculate and all staff were friendly at all times.

I loved that in the middle of NYC they insist on saying bonjour and bon soir and merci when they greet you!

On my birthday Benjamin had organised champagne and a beautiful birthday cake. Well above any experience I have ever had in any hotel.

The hotel was the crowing glory to a wonderful trip to New York and was part of an unforgettable experience.

I can only say a warm, heartfelt thanks to all at the hotel but particularly Benjamin.

Room Tip: Choose room 2415 as it is unbelievable!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
GMOffices, General Manager at Sofitel New York, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Sofitel New York on your recent visit to the city and for taking the time to share your experience. We are delighted to know that you had a pleasant stay with us and that you enjoyed your Terrace Suite and the fantastic views.

We would like to thank you as well for your kind words on our Guest Relation Manager. At Sofitel, we strive to provide superior levels of service to all guests, therefore your feedback is very important to us and we thank you again for providing it.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon for another unforgettable experience.

1906
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

It was over Labor Day weekend and it was also my partner's birthday so we thought we'd do something out of the ordinary. We live in Brooklyn so we thought we'd spend a weekend in Manhattan so we could go see shows, sightsee, go out to eat and just enjoy the city, a stay-cation. We had stayed in the Sofitel in Montreal before so we trusted the brand but the hotel and interactions we not what I would expect.

Were met at the door by a greeter who walked us to the check in area. This was not the doorman - the doormen were always friendly with great communication skills. The greeter converses with you as you walk with them to check in. The experience turned from pleasant to awkward as the greeter made a seemingly judgmental/classist (?) comment about Brooklyn. We live here so we know there is snobbery towards those who live outside of Manhattan but a hotel greeter should keep these opinions to themselves. I would prepare a greeter with scripts for conversing with different types of patrons. For stay-cationers, I would suggest some attractions that many NYC locals never do in everyday life - for instance take a sky trolley over to Roosevelt Island and walk along the waterfront or have drinks and dinner at a waterside cafe.

After check in we went to our room on the tenth floor. Ours was the first room turning left outside the elevator. This made for lots of noise late at night and interrupted sleep. Inside the room the window looked out onto a space enclosed on all sides by brick walls and exhaust vents, scaffolding. We had a sense of humor at the time because one vent was newer metal it reflected some of the sky which is how we knew it was sunny. Kidding aside it was a dark space even on bright days. Directly outside the room door was a large window that opened up onto numerous fire escapes and building walls. Dreary. I'd replace the hallway window with some modern light installation/art just to cheer myself up.

Like I keep saying, we have a good sense of humor and we tried to keep ourselves active and exploring the city and not complain but such room features dampened some of the fun. After a day of exploring we would want to keep up on the local news but all of the local channels were on antenna (?) while others were digital quality. Having a couple martinis before watching the news helped immensely and we could hear if not see what they were saying. The bed, despite a pillowtop was tough to sleep on. A guest staying at my apartment once noted that my mattress was firm, I like firm mattresses. I don't like hard mattresses which is what I had. The bed had no flatsheet and only a duvet. I have seen this in hotels in Copenhagen but it is a warm summer night and I would rather roll back the duvet and sleep under a thin sheet. As a result, in our sleep we would toss the cover back and forth until the other would overheat and wake up to shift the duvet. Like a slapstick comedy. You get the point, I had a sense of humor about it and chose not to complain to staff.

Ammmmmmmmmazing bathroom. Large and bright with separate shower and tub. If you like bathrooms this is your hotel. I want my DMV photo to look like the face I see in their lightbox bathroom mirror. The rainwater showerhead returned me to life several times that rather humid weekend.

Interactions with desk staff were .... I don't quite have a word. And I like the Sofitel staff speak English and French. The African/Haitian gentleman who checked us in was friendly with a gregarious manner and voice. When I checked out the rather formal strawberry blonde/red haired formal woman seemed annoyed and distracted by desk work when I waited for her to call me over. When I asked if a restaurant was one street over or two she became annoyed and sent me to the concierge. When I approached the concierge he spoke with an economy of words, he wasn't unfriendly or friendly he was ... unmoved. In full disclosure I did not offer the concierge a tip as I know that sometimes yields a more engaging response but I wasn't getting him to track down theatre tickets or book a car.

Like the super friendly doormen, the cleaning ladies were nice ninjas. I joke that they are ninjas because no sooner would you leave the room then it would be clean. They seemingly dropped out of the air vents or in our case they climbed down the fire escapes. But the cleaners and the doormen have a lot of heart and need to be commended. I'd love to see these individuals, after a little training, as greeters and concierges. They are kind and welcoming people.

Room Tip: Pay more and book a suite on a higher floor
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your stay at the Sofitel New York. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your bathroom with separate bathtub and shower and are pleased to inform you that we gladly prepare the beds with sheets and blankets upon request.

We regret that you experienced rude service from our Front Desk agents. We strive for the highest level of professionalism. While that individual does not reflect our philosophy or the way we train our staff, we are very concerned that you did not receive the exemplary service you deserve. I have requested that our head of human resources institute a review of our training procedures.

We would also like to thank you for your kind words on our room attendants and doormen.

We are looking forward to welcome you back for another excellent stay.
Sincerely yours,
St Martin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Excellent and confortable hotel...
Service is very good, multilingual.
Rooms are spacious. I was in 23 rd with an excellent and beautiful view.
Bathroom in marble are nice as well, with shower and bath separated.
Full furniture.
Free Wifi and wire Internet...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear guest,
Thank you for writing such a positive review following your stay at the Sofitel New York. We are delighted to know that you had a pleasant stay with us and enjoyed the comfort of your room.
We are looking forward to welcome you back for another wonderful stay.
Sincerely yours,
London, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

Had a fantastic eight day stay here with the family in July and August. Goid sized room and the staff could not have been more helpful always saying hello or bonjour. Would definitely stay here again. Great location Recommended. Only complaint was that they charged me for a breakfast which we never had although they have now refunded it, $101 though!

Dear guest,

Thank you for recommending the Sofitel New York following your stay with us. We are delighted to know that you had a pleasant stay with us and that you found our staff to be helpful.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and hope that your next visit will be as pleasing as the previous one.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Great location. Good size room. Very nice check in staff and concierge. Only dislike was the big down comforter on the bed was too hot and there was no alternative in the closet. Next time I will ask for a light blanket instead.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

GMOffices, General Manager at Sofitel New York, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Dear guest,

We are glad to know that you experienced the ultimate in comfort and convenience at the Sofitel New York. We gladly provide sheets and blankets upon request.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Sofitel New York
Tamaqua, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Never stayed at a Sofitel before and was pleasantly surprised with the first experience. This is a a solid, clean, well maintained and somewhat central located Hotel. Often when you stay in the city you would like to walk out your front door an be somewhere, Central Park, Times Square, Broadway so I downplayed location a bit for that, as the Hotel is kind of plunked down in the middle of the above referenced 3 areas and you do have a bit of a walk back at the end of the night. Including through some lesser traveled areas and therefore, if your alone and traveling later at night and that would bother you, you should take that into consideration.
I really do not look for much in the ways of amenities when in the city as I am usually there, to be there and not in my hotel. I like value, clean, a little upscale and centralized location, all of which this property delivered solidly (value delivered through a successful priceline bid)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Sofitel New York on your recent visit to the city and for taking the time to share your experience. We are delighted to know that you had a pleasant stay with us.

Sofitel New York Team

Been to Sofitel New York? Share your experiences!