“Worth the extra bucks” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel New York

You added Sofitel New York to your Saves list
Sofitel New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   45 West 44th Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay Longer and Save 20%!
Ranked #67 of 457 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Worth the extra bucks”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

I was in NYC for only two days and wanted convenience to maximize my stay. Found a deal through jet setter Everyone was incredibly polite and helpful. The room was nice, some added luxury - slippers, robes and candles. Excellent location. Easy to navigate the sites I wanted to see. Only negative bad view. Separate shower and tub. Was greeted each and every time I went through the lobby. I only ate breakfast -- room service. Could have fed two on the breakfast. I would stay here again without the Jetsetter.

• Stayed August 2013
GMOffices, General Manager at Sofitel New York, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Sofitel New York on your recent visit to the city and for taking the time to share your experience. We are delighted to know that you had a pleasant stay with us.

Sofitel New York

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
  • Turkish first
Guelph, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

My husband and I lucked out on this hotel through a hotwire bid. I can't say enough about the Sofitel. The staff were nice and over the top helpful. The room was so lovely. We had a basic room, but it felt 5 star. Crisp clean white sheets, with a feather duvet top instead of a top sheet. (So amazing) The bathroom had a separate shower and bath with fantastic soap amenities. I wanted (and meant to) to take a big bottle of them home. We had never been to NYC before and this was the perfect location to make our way around town. The staff made us feel comfortable taking the subway with flawless instructions. Wish we could stay in another Sofitel soon!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
GMOffices, General Manager at Sofitel New York, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear guest,
We are delighted that you had a great experience at Sofitel during your first stay in New York.
Our goal is to always exceed our guests’ expectation and we thank you for taking the time to share your story.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon at Sofitel. It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known throughout the world.

Sincerely yours,
Sofitel New York Team
Guimaraes, Portugal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

This must be one of the finest hotels in New York city. I spent one night on this hotel because I booked it at Room Mate Grace and when I arrived there the staff at reception was rude and pretended I wasn't there. After a few minutes when they finished playing around I finally told them I had a reservation and they looked surprised and told me they had no room for me. So they tried to fix the problem and sent me to this hotel - Sofitel -, where I had to go by walk with all my luggage. It turned out to be a good experience because I didn't have to pay the difference that was big.
The staff at Sofitel was much different - very nice and competent.
It was very pleasant to enter a room with the sound of the radio playing classical music and see how big and comfortable it was.
It is expensive, but it is great.
The location is good also

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear guest,

We are glad to know that you had a pleasant stay at the Sofitel New York and that you enjoyed the comfort of your room and the classical music playing. Your feedback is very important to us and we thank you for providing it.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and hope that your next visit will be as pleasing as the previous one.

Hartlepool, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

I stayed here recently for a second time and I have to say it was absolutely fantastic!

The location was excellent. It was quiet and overall a beautiful hotel. I was lucky enough to get a prestige suit located on the 24th floor, with a private terrace. The view was incredible! The room was amazing.

I had a bit of trouble using my debit card when I checked in and the staff were so kind and helpful and eventually everything was sorted. The two lovely guys who helped me where Daniel and Danilo so if you ever do go, be sure to be helped by them!

The room service was excellent all the staff were friendly and polite. Overall my experience was 10/10. I have not one bad thing to say about this hotel. People who have slated it, they must have extremely high high standards! Stay here when you visit NYC!!

• Stayed August 2013
Dear guest,

We are thrilled to know that you enjoyed your stay at the Sofitel New York and we would like to thank you for your kind words on our staff. At Sofitel, we strive to provide superior levels of service to all guests, therefore your feedback is very important to us and we thank you for providing it.

West Midlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Having booked this through eBookers, we were expecting a lot. The hotel itself is nicely located and within easy reach of most New York attractions.

We noticed when leaving that some guests were greeted at the door, welcomed and escorted to the check in area which is situated towards the rear of the lobby, hidden away to the left.

That didn't happen when we arrived at around 2pm, we were just told by the doorman where the check in area was.

Check in itself was pretty quick and we were told where our room was and where to find the escalator - so not brilliant, but at least efficient.

The room itself 1020 was on the 10th floor and was certainly big enough for the two of us.

The view was awful. Looking out onto a roof full of air handling equipment and the rear of other buildings, but we kind of expected that and as we were there to go sightseeing, it didn't really matter too much to us, but was nonetheless a bit disappointing having paid the extortionate rates through an agent.

There are no tea / coffee making facilities in the room. We asked for and received a machine - I would have preferred a kettle, but it was a contraption that only makes drinks from packaged cartons, so even though we had some of our own tea bags with us, we couldn't use them.

Needless to say, the drinks dispensed by the machine were awful, so that was a waste of time.

There was a mini-bar, but in big brand tradition, everything was metered and priced to kill, so that wasn't used either.

The TV goes to premium channels by default, but the free channels were accessible, but remarkably, with very poor picture quality... so that wasn't used either.

Free wifi was available and was quick enough for receiving emails. A premium speed connection was available at extra cost, but we didn't need that at all.

The bed was super, one of the best I've experienced in a hotel, with fantastic soft pillows and a nice crunchy, thick duvet.

Each day, the room was cleaned and each evening, turned down nicely, so everything you'd expect in that respect, from a good quality hotel.

Sleep quality is a subjective thing. In theory, it should have been brilliant in an air conditioned room with a super-comfortable bed, but that wasn't really the case.

Sleep was interrupted because the air conditioning is noisy, so we switched it off, but it became hot and clammy. We opened a window, but it became noisy. Then there was the a horrible droning humming sound which we presume was from an electrical riser or distribution cupboard right next the room.

So in our case, we're marking down sleep quality, which is a shame, as that's all we used the room for!

Some of the staff, particularly the door guys were very helpful and keen to impress, but on the whole, apart from saying hello each morning, the rest were mediocre at best and there was a distinct feeling that many were simply going through the motions and smiling in all the right places.

That's not to say we didn't enjoy our stay. We did - it's just that nothing seemed to be included. We paid for a room and felt that this is all we got. A lot seemed to be missing - and a significant portion of that came down to the people I'm afraid. It was a few degrees off.

We didn't eat at the hotel. Breakfast there is ridiculously expensive. We went instead to local eateries - mainly the Manhattan across the road from the hotel's rear entrance to the restaurant.

Our return flight was early evening s, in common with other reviewers here, we asked if we could hold onto the room for a few hours to allow us to freshen up. Reluctantly, they extended the room for one hour until 1pm.

Except that in reality, at 12:30 we had the maid knocking on the door to come and clean it!

Would we return to this hotel? Based on this visit, I don't think so. Nor would I try the group again.

Sadly, for us, the experience was underwhelming and there are plenty of great hotels in the area to choose from.

Room Tip: If only we knew...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at Sofitel New York. We are sincerely sorry that your visit did not reflect the high standards that we set for our hotel. Our goal is to always exceed our guests’ expectations. We value your comments and we will take whatever steps we can to correct the problems mentioned.

Again, please accept our apologies. We hope that you will consider staying at Sofitel New York again so that we may show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known around the world.

Sincerely yours,
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We arrived at the hotel early, after taking the train from Newark to Pann station. Our room was ready, nice room clean, quiet, Hotel staff very always friendly.
Asked the Bell Boy for suggestions for Pizza.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Sofitel New York on your recent visit to the city and for taking the time to share your experience. We are delighted to know that you had a great stay with us.

Sofitel New York

Been to Sofitel New York? Share your experiences!