“Not a bad choice, unless...” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Tulsi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #609 of 11,596 restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 2nd & 3rd Avenues
Transit: 4,5,6,7 Trains to Grand Central. M101, M102, M103 Buses to 44th St.; M15 to 46th St.; M15 Select to 42nd St. or 50th St.
Description: Tulsi features distinctive regional Indian cuisine created by Chef Hemant Mathur, critically acclaimed for his clean, distinct flavors and a master of tandoor cooking – from savory street food and breads to tantalizing vegetable specialties and fragrant curries, to signature tandoor-grilled meats and seafood. Designed for comfort, relaxation and the enjoyment of food, drinks and conversation, the 55-seat dining room and 15-seat bar/lounge reflects modern India with a nod to cultural traditions and motifs. Guests may also enjoy a seven-course Chef's Tasting Menu (also a Chef's Vegetarian Tasting Menu) and bar snacks, as well as a thoughtful list of spice-friendly wines, handcrafted cocktails and beers. "Tulsi" (pronounced TOOL-see) means divine basil.
Abilene, TX
“Not a bad choice, unless...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

My wife and I love good Indiian food, the kind you would get if you visited your friend who lives in India. We have found several restaurants that fit this bill, but this one does not. If you love authentic Indian food, you will probably be disappointed. If you don't eat much Indian food and are looking for a nice restaurant with good food, this is the place. All of the dishes were very tasty, the service was pretty good, it just wasn't what I was looking for and I won't be returning.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

83% Recommend
Taipei, Taiwan
“Great food but with only acceptable table service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I was surprised by the amazingly great food. Butter chicken is my favorite side dish. Richness and sourness let this dish never get bored with. They have the best naan I ever tasted. the surface is crispy but inside is still tender. Fish is fresh that texture is excellent. I have to say the food made me a wonderful day. Good atmosphere. good price.However I do hope to see more smile on waiter's face and please try not serve all dishes at the same time...
這是我目前吃過最好吃的印度餐廳,原以為會容易膩的奶油雞肉,因為有番茄的酸味調和,讓人忍不住一口接一口;印度餅烤得外酥內軟,即使沒有配菜都不會覺得乏味;魚肉非常鮮,稍辣及些許酸味的佐料與魚肉相得益彰不搶味。食物品質沒話說,但希望服務的態度及上菜等細節能有所改善

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great food, let down by the hostess.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I took my wife to this restaurant for her birthday on our trip from the UK. I had booked a table several months in advance to make sure. We arrived at the restaurant for the time of our reservation to be told by the hostess rather rudely that we didn't have a reservation and that they were fully booked that evening. She asked if we had confirmation of our reservation, luckily I still had the e-mail on my phone which she took from me to look at but still would not let us have a table even though there were very few people in the restaurant. My wife and I were getting quite angry by this stage but luckily the head chef came over to ask if there was a problem. We explained what was happening and showed him the reservation confirmation. He pointed to a table and told the hostess that we could have that table but the hostess still did not want us to have it. In the end the head chef had to insist rather forcefully that we had that table and the hostess was not impressed.
The rest of the evening was truly great the rest of the waiting staff were fantastic and the food exceptional. We had the tasting menu which was 6 courses of fresh superb quality well spiced Indian food.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, England, United Kingdom
“My Favourite Indian restaurant in NY”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Every time I go to NY, I always visit Tulsi.. lovely Decor, great Ambience and superb Food.. I travel from London where excellent Indian food is available in abundance. But always struggled in NY. Since visiting Tulsi, I have yet to come across Indian food like this in NY let alone in the East Coast of US that I visit often. Paneer Tikka and Achari Chicken Tikka are superb and Daal and Garlic Nan are my favourite. Service wise, the tables are always manned and promptly served. Will keep visiting this place everytime I am in NY and feel like eating food similar to London!!

• Visited November 2012
VT
“Almost a 5”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

The Manchurian Cauliflower and Malai Kofta were fantastic. The garlic naan as good as I've ever had. My husband's tandoori was excellent. The food was 5++. The restaurant had plenty of staff, very attentive. But how hard is it to deliver a dry martini on the rocks when the bar isn't busy? Shouldn't have taken as long as it did, and it was served up and wasn't dry at all. Go for the food.