“Hidden gem” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dallas, Texas
“Hidden gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

We stumbled upon Smyrna while looking for something a little different. Though it doesn't look like much, it will become a new favorite. We were immediately served warm bread which was tasty. The cucumber salad was amazing. I'm still raving about it 24 hours later. The entrees were also well made and delicious. Can't wait to go back and try more of the menu.

Service was incredible. They were attentive without being pushy or bothersome. Took their time to explain menu items and gave us enough time to decide. They also score points for not rushing us out of there like so many places in the city.

A great meal and even better environment. First class operation.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Turkish first
Ocala, Florida
“Very Good Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Turkish cuisine is a rarity for us so it's hard to compare to similar places but Smyrna was very good for us. We got there early because of an early show and were of course seated immediately. Service was quick and attentive. Our waiter was well versed in the menu and could make comments on every dish we asked about, and seemed to be quite evenhanded.

The food itself was tasty and I guess it was authentic. Hard for us to tell. But it was an enjoyable meal with no complaints.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Bad service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

Service was bad.
There was only one waitress and place was empty. One more guest was sitting down.
They brought lentil soup which was cold and then went to reheat it, it took 15 minutes!!!
Cigare burek not crispy enough.
All te food seems like was not prepare fresh but only reheated.
We won't come again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dawson Creek, Canada
“excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

very trraditional turkish restaurant, decor is nothing special but the wait staff are very attentive and the food speaks for itself, very well prepared and served. Some very tasty dishes here... we come here every time we are in NYC

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Gatineau, Canada
“I have just discovered how good Turkish food is!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We had dinner here during our visit to NYC. We randomly picked this restaurant, honestly, I didn't know what to expect about Turkish food... the menu looked good and I knew that we couldn't go wrong with mediterranean food, so we gave it a try.

We where greeted to the restaurant, got a table; service was really nice with a good ambiance. There is a large selection on the menu and for the appetizer we shared the Mixed Appetizer Plate (lebni, babaganush, hummus, tabouleh, eggplant salad). What a nice plate!! Everything was so good and the bread was fresh and very good too. I got so inspired already with that entree. Don't really remember what I got for the main plate, but it was very good.

All that to say, I recommend this restaurant. And because I love cooking, my experience at Smyrna opened my curiosity and it brought me to buy a Turkish cookbook!

I am giving a 4 out of 5 for the rating, because in order for me to give a 5 to a restaurant, it was to be really really outstanding... for that reason, 4 means very good!

• Visited October 2012