“West Village Pizza-Beer-History Tour - Everything You Want” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sidewalks of New York Tours

Sidewalks of New York Tours
88 Greenwich St. Suite 1220, New York City, NY 10006 (East Village)
646-831-2625
Website
Improve this listing
Visit like an insider
$48*
and up
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Sidewalks of NY Tour's goal is to provide exceptional walking tours in New York, so our customers will revisit neighborhoods with confidence and take advantage of an array of cultural options they have to offer. Join us on our popular West Village or Lower East Side Food Tasting & Cultural Walking Tours. We eat foods from 6 mom-and-pop shops, ethnic eateries, and restaurants, which have been serving the neighborhood for over 100 years.On our Food Truck & Cart Walking Tour, we guide you to the best street food New York City has to offer. We taste delicious food from 5 gourmet food trucks in either Downtown or Midtown Manhattan.If you want to awaken your inner shutterbug, join our professional photographer on the Group Photo Tour & Class. He will teach you photographic techniques sure to improve the quality of your pictures, using Manhattan as your backdrop. Yours in tours, Sidewalks of NY Tours.
Franklin Park, NJ
“West Village Pizza-Beer-History Tour - Everything You Want”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We took a 12/28 tour with Mike. We met the group (8 total) on McDougal and 6th Ave and proceeded to have one of the best walking tours ever. My wife and I are no strangers to guided tours but we were immediately impressed by how personable and knowledgeable Mike was (we later learned he was a native of Manhattan). We kicked right off with slices at Artichoke, including face-time with the owner as he and Mike educated us on the finer points of pizzacraft and pizza history in NY. This was delicious pie but it was just the start. We headed out to the new Kettle of Fish bar on Christopher street and on the way stopped at Washington Square Park for a round of history including the Hanging Tree, the Succession of the West Village, and the drinking escapades of noted NYC literary figures. While we asked Mike questions (his knowledge of the area's history was really deep and broad) a crowd gathered to watch a huge red hawk feast on something he'd caught at the base of the Hanging Tree just a few feet from us--one of those moments you really want to have a camera ready for).
Before we had time to feel the cold we were at the Kettle of Fish. This was a new locale but as Mike poured us glasses of microbrew by the fireplace, he filled us in on the history of the Kettle and its role in the Village's beat culture (apparently it figured prominently in a feud between Bob Dylan and Andy Warhol). Again Mike's knowledge of the bar's history and the Village's ties to the bar were really dazzling and this whole tour felt like being shown around town by an old friend.
We made our next two pizza stops back to back at Joe's on Carmine street and John's on Bleecker respectively (their addresses I can't remember), for a more typical NYC slice and a brick-oven slice in that order. I could see why Mike saved John's brick oven slice for last...it was the best of the three (one word: crust), but I absolutely liked the other two for their own merits. To be fair, Joe's and Artichoke's were also far better than any of the random joints you might grab a slice at in the city.
We wound up the tour at the Whitehorse Tavern--mugs of good beer in a cozy and clearly historied place while Mike regaled us with its rich literary history. We actually stayed a bit after we'd Q&A'ed Mike thoroughly (by this point the beer was making us all chipper and more inquisitive than the cold air outside had). Through it all Mike seemed to genuinely feed off our energy and the more we questioned and quipped, the more stories and lore he had for us. This was really a great time and I would highly recommend the tour to anybody who wants a fun eating, drinking and pop history experience.

New York, New York, United States
“History and Knishes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

My mother is a retired Italian chef. I had searched endlessly for the perfect gift for her this season. I saw this tour and thought it might be a quirky, fun time. Boy, did I underestimate this tour! I learned so very much about the Lower Eastside and the rich immigrant history! Mike, our tour guide, should teach a class on how the culture has changed over the past few centuries in NYC. As we listened to him weave the tale of life in the tenements, I could almost see life as it was all those years ago... And then there was the food... We moved from one treasure to another and walked it off ( or so I told myself) before we reached the next destination. I do not eat meat and Mike made sure I was taken care of wherever we went. A highlight was Prosperity Dumpling in Chinatown. While everyone else feasted on pork dumplings ( 5 for a dollar, such a deal!!!) Mike got me the most AMAZING scallion pancake. I will go back to try that one again for sure. Do this tour, take your finicky friend, you will love it.

Franklin Park, New Jersey
“West Village Pizza, Beer and History Tour- tasty and incredibly entertaining!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Although I grew up in a suburb right outside of Manhattan and have taken many trips into the city, this tour made me feel like I have been walking through NYC with my eyes shut all these years!! Our tour guide, Mike, is a native....raised in lower Manhattan and man, does he know his neighborhood! He expertly navigated us through the West Village, making well planned stops at some true culinary gems. Not only did we get to sample some of the greatest pizza in NYC (in the country. period.) but Mike knows the most interesting and laid backs haunts to just kick back and enjoy a beer or two. What made the tour so terrific, honestly, was Mike's approachable, affable nature. Not once did I feel like I was being "led around" or "talked at". It was more like touring the neighborhood with a good friend who takes so much pride in what he does and where he's from. The "historical" aspect of this tour is a highly entertaining blend of historical facts, modern anecdotes and local folklore. Be sure to ask Mike about the hidden door in the Washington Square arch and other antics of the bohemian residents of the past.....great stuff! Without a doubt, we will be touring with Sidewalks again. Hope you're ready for us, Mike!! Thanks so much!

Chicago, Illinois
6 attraction reviews
“Lower East Side Food Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

This was a really excellent tour! It was fun, interesting, engaging, and not just about food. Although the food was really great, most especially the pastrami at Katz's. Our tour guide Dante made the tour even better with his extensive knowledge of the area with fun and interesting facts and history. Highly recommend. Food was included and was filling.

New York City, New York
3 attraction reviews
“Mad Men Tour-- Feel like you are part of the show!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

Being a huge fan of the show I played the part and dressed up in my 1960's fashion and painted my lips and the town red! As I was walking towards the iconic clock I immediately noticed the handsome man, who looked as if he stepped right off the television screen from mad men, holding his iPad signaling the start of my experience. Josh, our tour guide, painted the scene so that we can transport ourselves into the show and 1960's NY. We hit the first location, the oyster bar and Josh cleverly took out his iPad and showed us a scene from the show, making me feel like I was sitting in the bar with the characters and over hearing their conversation. I sipped on my 1960's classic drink, a manhattan and felt the energy of the show and almost as if i were an extra on the show. At each location Josh would continue to show clips and talk to us about memorable scenes as well as let us challenge him with questions of our own. Being with the group all dressed helped to make this tour like no other, a truly unique experience for a native New Yorker. This tour is a no brainier, if u and your friend want to have a fun night out, get dressed up and go on this tour- you will not regret it!!!!