“Would come back in a heartbeat!” 5 of 5 stars

The Canal Park Inn
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   508 Canal Street, New York City, NY 10013 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #11 of 97 New York City B&B and Inns
Elon, North Carolina, United States
“Would come back in a heartbeat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

My family of 5 (two adults and three teens) stayed at the Canal Park Inn for 4 nights and I cannot say enough great things about our stay! We had two rooms, Denot and Sinnot, which was more than enough space for us. Our hosts, Kipp and SaraDoe, were welcoming when we arrived and attentive to our travel needs throughout our stay. They always remembered what we had been doing and asked how the trip was going frequently.
The Canal Park Inn is in a fabulous location at the north corner of TriBeCa. I loved going 2 blocks to the greenway and running along the river. We loved the restaurants nearby, particularly Ear and American Flatbread. The Greek, though expensive, also was fabulous! The shopping just a few blocks away was also fantastic, and the walk to the financial district and Chinatown was easy and entertaining. I thought I would miss staying next to Central Park but I really did not... and the price for our 2 suite-rooms at Canal Park Inn was comparable to the price of our much-more-crowded 1-bedroom suite up near the Park a few years ago (and they didn't even have Kipp and SaraDoe!).
I've seen a couple of poor reviews and I'd love to address the misgivings listed within them so that no one is surprised as they arrive at Canal Park Inn. One reviewer described the building as "rickety" (translated from Italian). The Canal Park Inn is located in an historic building which was built almost 200 years ago. The building is full of charm, grace and quirkiness-- and that includes a steep and slightly crooked stairway to the third floor that my 83 year old mother or a 2 year old toddler could *never* negotiate safely. For us, though, it was nothing but charm (and a workout to get a suitcase up-- though Kipp would gladly have carried it up for us). So know what kind of charm you are getting when you book. My kids loved the historic, adventurous feel of the Inn and we did too... but if you're someone who needs buildings that are up to modern code, or prefers new and sleek to historic and cozy, this may not be the place for you.
Another reviewer or two mentioned that rooms were not cleaned daily and linens were changed less than daily. This policy is on the website and I for one appreciated the gesture toward sustainability and didn't mind that no one had made my bed for me when we returned from a long day of fun.
I also appreciated that breakfast was served on actual dishes and not styrofoam. Breakfast was a fun little adventure, with frittatas and waffles all made from a waffle iron. My personal favorite breakfast was granola with pretty much an entire garden of fresh berries all over it. My kids couldn't get enough fo the waffles with syrup and whipped cream. Breakfast was served each morning down in the theater lobby, with classical music and the smell of good coffee, and our hosts there to advise on our travel for the day. A very pleasant experience.
All in all, I'd stay at the Canal Park Inn again in a heartbeat. Now that we've been there I can't imagine staying anywhere else in New York. We felt like locals, had access to anything we needed, and our hosts were wonderful. Thank you Kipp and SaraDoe!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
CanalParkInn, Manager at The Canal Park Inn, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
Thank you, thank you, thank you!! It's great to read your words and we are so glad you'll be back - your family is amazing! Glad you loved the riverside run as much as I do, and that you found yourselves so much at home.

Regarding the stairs to the third floor - in fact, sorry to disappoint but we are about to have them straightened! I hope and trust this won't lessen the charm, as we'll do as we've done throughout the building and maintain the style and authenticity of the 200 years while upgrading the space to a more comfortable expression of itself - as we did, for instance, in triple-paning the windows on the front of the building for sound protection, while maintaining the original paned glass on the interior. Or in keeping the original brick fireplaces in Kennedy and Sinnot, instead of covering them up like so many 'improvements' do.

But thank you for highlighting the fact that this is not the accommodation for the modern- or coroporate-inclinded traveller. We have no elevators, no on-site parking, no dishwashers in our kitchens, and are run by a family, not a conglomorate. For those who love historic buildings, unique spaces, and a locally-sourced and/or vintage decor - this is a great option, as you've so eloquently outlined - thanks again!

97 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

My mother and I stayed in the Kennedy Room at the Canal Park in for two nights in April 2014. The Inn in close to transit, not to mention within walking distance of several sights and fantastic places to eat. Our hosts were incredibly hospitable, charming, and knowledgeable about area. No recommendation steered us wrong. Our room was very quiet and we had no issues sleeping. It was a great home base away from home. We will definitely use the Canal Park Inn for our next trip.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
CanalParkInn, Manager at The Canal Park Inn, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Hi Victoria, thanks so much for the review! I was sad I never got to hear from you how the West Village escapades went: did you make it to Magnolia? Which spot did you pick for lunch? I'm delighted you and your mom had such a good time, and hope to see you again soon. Be well and thanks again!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

We went to NYC for a three day getaway of theater and dinning and discovered a charming, if somewhat funky, 4 bedroom bed and breakfast. The stairs are steep so this is not for the infirm but the location is great (short walk to the Hudson River Park and the High Line) the innkeeper charming, and the room quite comfortable. Our room was a great bargain (under $200 a night) and breakfast was good, I recommend the yoghurt and berries. The waffles were also fine if one likes that.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi David, thanks so much for the positive feedback! Last I spoke to your wife, she was on her way to a weaving workshop - so cool. Your research on grit has been a rich (no pun intended) fuel for conversation in our family over the past few weeks, and I even googled you in search of articles on the subject - found real food for thought that way!

We'd love for you and your wife to come back, maybe sometime in the summer when you can enjoy the free kayaking along the Hudson and outdoor movies and all NYC's hot-weather perks!
Ketchum, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

My wife & I stayed 3 nights May 2013. Excellent Tribeca/Soho location. Close to promenade on the Hudson River, subway stops, Chinatown, Nolita and little Italy. Clean, cozy quarters and quiet, considering we were on the second floor. Delicious breakfast with unique waffle omelette. Very friendly owner and staff. Felt like we stayed at a good friend's house. We look forward to staying there on our next trip.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
CanalParkInn, Manager at The Canal Park Inn, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
Wow, it's so great to hear from you after nearly a year! Thanks for keeping us in your thoughts all this time, and making the extra effort to give us this support on TripAdvisor. We loved meeting you and your wife too!

I'm so glad you enjoyed the triple-glazed windows that block any city sounds, as you mentioned even if you're only on the second floor. And of course, our proximity to those attractions you mentioned is a delight of the Inn.

But the biggest gift is our guests like you who make US such a happy set of innkeepers by always inspiring us with your adventurous spirits and friendly curiosity about not only the city but also it's residents. Come back soon!
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

I really liked this father/daughter effort. They're both so lovely and eager to accommodate from the moment you call Sara feels like an old friend.
This isn't a Marriott and if that's what you're looking for look else where!!!
If you want to feel like you're spending the weekend in your funky friends appt in TriBeCa this is for you. Floors slightly tilt, but sheets are wonderful and we had our own magical terrace. This is a true city experience with warm folks with a lot of heart and soul running it.
I only wish next visit Sara is teaching a yoga class going for guests!

• Stayed February 2014
CanalParkInn, Manager at The Canal Park Inn, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
How did I not write back to you? Thank you so, so much for this fantastic post, and you know...I like this idea of yoga classes for the guests! :) We'll see, we'll see.

We wish we were in California with you right now...our one day of Spring snapped back to freezing cold yesterday, to our great surprise. Good thing it's warm and bright indoors!
Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

We stayed at Canal Park Inn from Feb 14th - Feb 18th. It is in a great location situated right between Soho and Tribeca. We were able to walk everywhere and were always so glad to return to our home in the city at the end of a busy day! We stayed in the Sinnot Suite which had ample space for the two of us. We loved the quirkiness of the old building with it's crooked stairs and beautiful old fireplace and claw foot tub. It is extremely charming and well decorated. The beds were comfortable, the room was very quiet (even though it faces Canal Street we barely heard any street noise), and it was nice to be able to enjoy a tea or coffee that was provided to us in the kitchenette. The breakfasts were great with the inn owner's daughter cooking us up delicious food on the waffle iron and providing us with all sorts of helpful tips for our trip. Thanks so much Sarah-Doe for your company each morning....it was such a nice start to our days! We can't recommend this place enough and will definitely be back for another visit on future trips to NYC.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
CanalParkInn, Manager at The Canal Park Inn, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
Hi guys! It's so great to hear from you, and thanks for the compliments - though Liz, I must say I was blown away by how well you'd planned your visit before you and I even spoke. From the Brooklyn Bridge to 9/11 Memorial, nearby Magnolia Bakery to walking up to Central Park, you had a great set of itinerary to make the most of your stay. I especially admire how smart you were about visiting all of the city. And Andrew - I definitely thought of your wooden watch when I walked through airport security. Best accessory of the year! I think you're gonna start a trend.

Tell me when you want to come back; it will be great to see you again. Meanwhile, stay warm in Ontario - we're having a balmy spring-like day today in New York, appropriate for the approaching Daylight Savings switch - and stay in touch!

Fondly,
Sarah-Doe
Port Republic, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

We spent three nights at this great, reasonably priced Inn in an historic building near the entrance to the Holland Tunnel. Kip and Sara were kind and accommodating hosts, even leaving a beautiful surprise bouquet of flowers outside the door of our friends on their wedding night. I'm not a fan of the concrete canyons of midtown, but a walk up the Hudson River greenway to the High Line, time spent in the Chelsea Market, and a walk back to the inn via Greenwich Village reminded me that the city has so much else to offer. We took cabs or subways to Broadway and the Empire State Building and I was always please to get back to the comfort of the inn. Some significant construction on nearby luxury condo buildings marred the initial impression and curb appeal, but this will be a temporary inconvenience. We'll be back and look forward to sampling some neat neighborhood restaurants.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Been to The Canal Park Inn? Share your experiences!