“From PEI to you, just off the boat!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Flex Mussels - 13th Street

Flex Mussels - 13th Street
154 West 13th St., New York City, NY 10011 (Manhattan)
212-229-0222
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Flex Mussels - 13th Street is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #209 of 11,596 restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Cross street: 6th and 7th Ave.
Transit: Take F, M, 2, 3 TO 14th Street and 4, 5, 6, N, Q, R to Union Square.
Description: Flex directly imports the hightes quality Prince Edward Mussels, and we serve oysters that taste like you're kissing the sea! Happy Hour 7 nights a week-bar and counter only $25 gets you 2 pots of selected mussel flavors, 2 orders of fries and a choice of select glass of wine or tap beer
Tidewater, VA
“From PEI to you, just off the boat!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We would not change one thing about this place. Utterly impeccable service, trendy ambiance, outstanding seafood. We had fried oysters as light and delicate as clouds; mussels that were large, sweet, tender; crab cakes that were barely held together with only the tibeading mount of breading. Donuts for dessert that were really like none ever tasted - so good. Pre-theater and couldn't linger, and service was respectful and fast. Try this if you love seafood.

Visited May 2013

90% Recommend
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We made the reservation few days prior to our 3 day trip to NYC.
It was our first visit (definitely not the last) in this great restaurant.
Table was ready for us at 8:30PM as reserved. The hostess took our shopping bags and stored it in the back room which was perfect for us.
The service in this place is outstanding. Waiter was very knowledgeable and extremely nice. As it was our first time, he explained everything we needed to know and we were not disappointed.
A bottle of sparkling water was brought to the table as soon as we set down (you can ask for still water if you wish).
The menu is very friendly and organized by price. For example: $19.5 dishes will include 3options to choose from, $21.5 dishes will include 5 options to choose from etc. Most expansive dish is the $25 option.
We had the "Parma" dish from the $22.5 options and was based on parmigiano cream, lemon, scallions, toasted garlic and shallots. Second dish was "Brushetta" dish from the $25 menu and was based on san marzano tomatoes, lobster, marinated tomato, croutons.
We ordered side of the outstanding fries. The Flex hand cut fries ($6) and the Flex truffle fries ($11) which has cheese and herbs on it, yummy!!
The sizes of the main dishes were just perfect and enough to set your hunger down.. We did get some bread & butter to the table as well.
The best was waiting for us at the end.. The desserts.. Wow! Don't, but don't miss the Flex Donut Collection! You can get it with all different styles of stuffing such as raspberry, wild blueberry and many more. We had the Chocolate one.. It was delicious!!
The price is $10 for 4 donuts.
Atmosphere was great with many youngsters from NYU I guess and as said, service was outstanding!
If you like mussels, this is the place for you. We will be back for sure.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ottawa, Canada
“If you don't like seafood, the only option is chicken!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

We had good look in the West Village the night before, so we decided to try the area again. There were a few restaurants on our radar, but it being Sunday and short notice, this was the only place that could take us. And we're glad they could!

It's a delightful, small, casual restaurant that serves mussels, mussels and more mussels! I was talking to a friend and they said, well, surely they would HAVE to serve something else if one person didn't like seafood?!! Uh, no. That's what makes a specialty restaurant just that. If you don't like mussels, go someplace else. The only non- seafood dish is chicken. One dish. I didn't even notice it till I looked at the menu online!

The mussels were delicious and fresh, they fly them in daily from PEI our server told us, which is just how it should be. We chose some sort of unmemorable salad to start, but really just wanted the mussels and fries! And they didn't disappoint! Not me, at least. I had the Bombay mussels (as you'd expect it was done in a curry with white wine) and my husband had the Mexican mussels. He really wanted the Maine mussels, with LOBSTER, but it had cream in it - sad. We actually both expected that the Mexican mussels would be spicy, but it wasn't, not at all. We were both disappointed. Not even the chorizo, which I thought, by definition, IS spicy, but no. He dish was flavourful but lacked the heat that we were anticipating. My Bombay was mildly spiced - maybe to medium - but I like spice. I found them very very tasty and I even dunked my fries in the broth! Yum! It's on our "to go back to" list for a casual tasty, affordable meal.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, California
“Worth Finding”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I tracked this place down while visiting in NYC and I was not disappointed. The restaurant is somewhat small...but it is welcoming. When we first walked in (right when it opened), the host asked if I had reservations, I said no...and he kind of had this "OH" response...Puhleez, the restaurant is empty! What's up with the dumb response? Anyhow, the food was amazing. I loved everything we ordered! We also ordered the donuts for dessert...they're the bomb dot com. The waitor overcharged us $75 on our bill. OOOPS! Thankfully I reviewed the receipt and he made the correction. Tip - review your bill. Other than that, I'd recommend this place.

Visited April 2013
Boston, MA
“Mussel Madness”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I recently starting to love mussels and was told by a friend there was a place we had to go the next time I was in NY. Sure enough, flex did not disappoint and went beyond my wildest expectations. The servers are fun, young and keep you smiling the entire time. They have a great wine menu, and the atmosphere is adorable for lack of a better term. While I didn't sit there, they had a great looking bar area where you could grab a drink and some oysters for a more casual (and less expensive) night. We had full on mussel madness (and I've been back again and again) and was so impressed with the presentation, taste and range of things to get. Any mussel flavor you can imagine can be found at Flex and even ones you can't. I highly recommend the thai mussels if you enjoy that type of flavoring - they are outstanding. There are two Flex locations in NYC so be sure to stop by one (or both) wherever you are!

• Visited December 2012